Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,376 of 5,414
Sounds broken to me. I would call Oppo Digital if you haven't done so already. I could never live with that sort of rand volume behaviour.

Why not ask them to be sure.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,377 of 5,414
Sounds broken to me. I would call Oppo Digital if you haven't done so already. I could never live with that sort of rand volume behaviour.

Why not ask them to be sure.

Too hard. I live on the other side of the world. Guess I will just leave it.

Future potential firmware might fix it.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,378 of 5,414
Too hard. I live on the other side of the world. Guess I will just leave it.

Future potential firmware might fix it.

Right, I forgot. :)

Have you at least asked Oppo about it? Might push them to look in to the issue and help you find a solution or develop a firmware fix if possible. Sounds like something they would like to know about.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,379 of 5,414
Right, I forgot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you at least asked Oppo about it? Might push them to look in to the issue and help you find a solution or develop a firmware fix if possible. Sounds like something they would like to know about.

No I haven't.
redface.gif

Yes. You are right. I should. To be honest I have seen it on other units so I thought it was the norm. It doesn't effect sound quality so not important.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,380 of 5,414
I know it's different for every headphone but i'm just weirdly curious....what gain and dB level does everybody listen at, on average?

I find that the volume through my HD 800's is pretty low < -12dB on normal gain

My MDR-7506's are good at around -18dB on normal gain.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #3,381 of 5,414
  Yes, the volume display pops up randomly even when I have the brightness set to off. Seems like a firmware update could fix this anomaly.

I wish they would. This is not like Oppo. Usually they issue firmware update regularly to fix bugs and this product has a few of them.

It is not a software bug. The volume pot may be settling, which is why you are randomly see the front panel come back on (if you are in DIMMER OFF) or the volume adjust a half dB. Over time, this will disappear.

Environmental conditions can also affect this. If you are using the HA-1 in a very cold environment, the metal may be contracting a little, which is resulting in the volume pot sliding slightly, which will result in the HA-1 detecting an adjustment of the volume.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,382 of 5,414
It is not a software bug. The volume pot may be settling, which is why you are randomly see the front panel come back on (if you are in DIMMER OFF) or the volume adjust a half dB. Over time, this will disappear.

Environmental conditions can also affect this. If you are using the HA-1 in a very cold environment, the metal may be contracting a little, which is resulting in the volume pot sliding slightly, which will result in the HA-1 detecting an adjustment of the volume.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #3,383 of 5,414

Hi Hastur
Would you be able to comment on my question from yesterday?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/3360#post_11508617

It likely is fine but I would like confirmation if possible.

Thanks

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,384 of 5,414
That is normal. You are hearing the voltage being re-engaged for the headphone output (or the analog outputs, if you are connected with speakers). When turning on the HA-1, when muting, when changing inputs, or when the source resolution or frequency changes, then the HA-1 will mute the outputs. When muted, no voltage is present in these outputs as we are using a physical relay. After unmuting voltage is re-introduced to the analog and headphone outputs. This can result in a slight "pop" or "crackle" as most devices will amplify the change from no voltage to some voltage.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,385 of 5,414
  Mac OSX, in particular, has a hard time determining what is available for Asynchronous USB support, and what is no. So for instance, the HA-1 would be turned off with the USB DAC being selected, the Mac would still try to send audio to USB which is no longer available. So it was determined that this could be a tech support hassle as customers would be calling us or E-mail using asking for support on why they could no longer get audio from their standard audio components when the HA-1 was powered off.

Well, yet, it is available if you keep it alive...so? Users still need to select what they want to output to if they are switching to multiple devices. At least for those that are using the HA-1 as a dedicated phone and pre for all of their use, it lets you power down and not lose the connection.

I don't see the down side. Even now, if I power down, I lose the connection and the computer needs user intervention to route the audio somewhere else. There is no benefit to the current state.

Again, just make it an option...

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,386 of 5,414
On my Win7 when I powered down the device it disappears from the audio devices and switches to the next available audio device so that it will not lock up when playing back a flash video when having sound is not important.  When I powered up the HA-1 my Win7 will switch back to the HA-1 since it remembers that it was the default audio device. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,387 of 5,414
hey sry for just jumping into this thread, but ive recently started looking for some good valued balanced amp/dac equipment. Besides this and the dc-1 stealth, I havent been having much luck. I was wondering if there were any other shoppers who were in a similar position previously and what are the other competitors to this product or if there are any individual balanced dac and amp setups that would be within this price range. Thanks! The HA1 does seem like a great value, but just doing a bit of research and due diligence for now.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,388 of 5,414
hey sry for just jumping into this thread, but ive recently started looking for some good valued balanced amp/dac equipment. Besides this and the dc-1 stealth, I havent been having much luck. I was wondering if there were any other shoppers who were in a similar position previously and what are the other competitors to this product or if there are any individual balanced dac and amp setups that would be within this price range. Thanks! The HA1 does seem like a great value, but just doing a bit of research and due diligence for now.

Im on the same boat and havent really been able to find anything in particular besides the auralic gemini 2000

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #3,389 of 5,414

I have been tempted to get the HA-1, several head-fiers I know have recommended it. If I had not gotten the Rag, I probably gotten this dac/ amp combo. Oppo makes good products, that offer great value for the money.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #3,390 of 5,414
I haven't found anything like the HA-1 to be honest, Balanced DAC/Amp. I far prefer it to my old Burson Conductor that cost me over $1000 more back when I bought that (paid $1850 retail for that, was able to get the HA-1 used for only $800) It's a fantastic amp that sounds almost as good as my Auralic VEGA/Schiit Ragnarok stack and powers everything I've thrown at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back