Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,166 of 5,414
Taurus is an amp not a DAC. Perhaps u mean the Vega?

Opps. Right you are. I'm always doing that. Old age I think. Yes Vega.

I will edit my post above.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #3,167 of 5,414
I like a lot of phones fed from the balanced output of the HA-1 but the last 3 nights I have really begun to appreciate what a great pairing it is with the PM-1.

I hadn't given the PM-1 too much air time as I just didn't expect it to compete with the likes of the HD800, LCD3 or HE6. Not saying it's better than these technically but with the HA-1 there is a definite synergy which is something I guess Oppo have worked hard to achieve.

Any of you guys loving the combo?

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,168 of 5,414
I like a lot of phones fed from the balanced output of the HA-1 but the last 3 nights I have really begun to appreciate what a great pairing it is with the PM-1.

I hadn't given the PM-1 too much air time as I just didn't expect it to compete with the likes of the HD800, LCD3 or HE6. Not saying it's better than these technically but with the HA-1 there is a definite synergy which is something I guess Oppo have worked hard to achieve.

Hoping to very soon once the PM-3 arrives and I can swap the PM-1 back out to my music room. I've spent very little time with that combo so far-mainly using the HA-1 with Audeze phones.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,169 of 5,414

Loving HA-1/PM-2 a LOT.  Coming from Benchmark DAC1 HDR and AKG K-712s. Surprised at the improvement, and as a PreAmp too.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #3,170 of 5,414

Yup,  it's my end game set up.   

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #3,171 of 5,414

Yes! The HA-1 > PM-1 is perhaps the best combo I've had for doing a great job across all genres.

When my goal is to make an emotional connection to the music, to just enjoy listening, without getting "ambushed" by any annoying traits, I go for this pairing. There simply are no annoying traits, nothing to disturb even an analytically inclined listener. I don't have to "work" at getting into the music. It just happens.

Mike

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,174 of 5,414
If you know someone ready to pull the trigger, MusicDirect.com has a silver HA-1 'demo' (full warranty) for $959.  Was tempted cause I got my black demo for only $100 off and wanted silver! But think I'll stay pat rather than going thru hassle of selling the black one

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,175 of 5,414
Good price, was able to pick mine up for $800 in black, shoots well above that price level. I'd say it compares with Amp/Dacs up to 2k

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,176 of 5,414
That's it.... Listening with 24bit studio masters of the Ultimae catalogue thus far and yet another night of bliss with the HA1/PM1 combo. Really feel like I've arrived at the end of a very long and expensive (sometimes painful) journey. Will probably keep HD800 and HE6 and possibly DT880 (600 ohm Manufaktur) as these are matched to other kit or have sentimental value but all other phones will be up for sale soon.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,177 of 5,414
  If you know someone ready to pull the trigger, MusicDirect.com has a silver HA-1 'demo' (full warranty) for $959.  Was tempted cause I got my black demo for only $100 off and wanted silver! But think I'll stay pat rather than going thru hassle of selling the black one

Okay I just pulled the trigger, thanks for the heads up. Had it sitting in my cart for a while, deliberating on whether I should check out. They don't have any details whatsoever about it's condition, i'm hoping there are no major/noticeable scratches or marks on it 'cause i'm a bit OCD when it comes to those things. Eventually couldn't pass up on +$200 off with full Oppo warranty.

Excited for it to arrive but the only headphones in my possession right now is the Sony MDR 7506 
frown.gif
. Been fishing around for the HD 800's to hit ~$1,000 before pulling the trigger on those...

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,178 of 5,414
Congrats on your new HA-1, word of caution though I honestly don't think the HD-800 is going to be the best pairing with the HA-1 since the HA-1 already trends towards the bright side it wouldn't be an ideal match for the HD-800, IMO. If you prefer that sound signature (wide soundstage for example) I really find the HE-560 to be a good pairing with the HA-1 myself, similar in some ways to the HD800 but also similar to planars which work better with solid state gear like the HA-1.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #3,179 of 5,414
Congrats on your new HA-1, word of caution though I honestly don't think the HD-800 is going to be the best pairing with the HA-1 since the HA-1 already trends towards the bright side it wouldn't be an ideal match for the HD-800, IMO. If you prefer that sound signature (wide soundstage for example) I really find the HE-560 to be a good pairing with the HA-1 myself, similar in some ways to the HD800 but also similar to planars which work better with solid state gear like the HA-1.

From what I've read on headfi and other reviewers, it seems that everyone is split on whether the HD800 pairs well with the HA-1.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #3,180 of 5,414
Yeah obviously everyone's got their own preferences but I just think this would be an example of two pieces of gear that would not shine best with one another. The HD-800 has done best with tube amps from what I've heard and the HA-1 does best with planars, but by all means give it a try and see if it's for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back