Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,033 of 5,414
Wanted to toss my two cents in regarding speakers, as I'm running JBL LRS305's from the RCA pre-outs. Speakers are connected via TRS, and I'm using Monoprice 1/4" to RCA adapters. 

I've had the speakers since August and was using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to run them. When I switched them to the Oppo, I was floored - such a huge increase in sound quality. The highs weren't as sharp, the lows had a lot more punch, and the mids were crystal clear. It turned a pair of good powered monitors into a great pair of speakers. Before I got the Oppo, I was considering getting a sub to compliment the JBL's, as they needed just a little help in the low end. I no longer feel that need. 

As a side note, while volume control works from the Oppo to the speakers, the difference between headphone volume and speaker volume is pretty big. When I switch, I usually turn the knob all the way down, unmute the pre-amp, and then set volume on the speakers.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,035 of 5,414
  It is a strange issue, but j0ewhite is not crazy. We have also heard the same issue in our office, but have not yet been able to identify it. It is like a sine wave that ramps down really quickly. It is most noticeable with balanced, but you can hear it with single-ended. Since it is so intermittent and exhibits itself so quickly, we have not yet been able to isolate what could be causing it.

We would blame the cables because on the HA-1 unit we had been testing on first exhibited the error when we were testing returned PM-1 balanced headphone cables, but since the review and j0ewhite are using third party headphones and cables, we can't say that it was our manufacturing practices which were causing the error. So we are still trying to pinpoint exactly when it occurs. We find it is more regular if you do not engage any audio playback and just keep power cycling the HA-1, but that is it.

Possible, but without changing the configuration of the HA-1 that we were using except for headphone cable, we were able to hear the error for the first time. So at this time we really have no handle on what it may be.

I just received an XLR to 6.3mm adapter for my balanced cable for my HD800.
Using the same cable together with the adapter now, I am still hearing the low level whine.
So either on balanced or SE, using the aftermarket cable will see the issue.

But if I use the stock HD800 cable, it will be ok.

It may seems like a cable problem, but the reviewer of the link I posted earlier was not using the same cable as mine.

Really a strange issue...
confused.gif

PS1: I'm 30 mins into my listening today and so far so good.

PS2: It's back. LOL

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,036 of 5,414
Hello All....

I was wondering if anyone happens to be using the OPPO HA-1 just as a DAC and running the output to the Woo Audio WA7d + WA7tp?

I really, really, really, really (that's 4 really's <grin>) like the feature set of the OPPO...  The display, which I haven't seen on any other DAC.  The ability to plug in my iPad, Bluetooth (admittedly, I don't know what I'd use it for, but nice to have...)

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this pairing???

Headphones I plan on using... Beyer DT990 premium (the more expensive of the two, pro or premium, can't remember which one is more), AKG 712 Pro, and the HD-800 I'm supposed to be receiving today.. (Yippee!!!)

At some point, I will probably try using a balanced cable with the HD-800s, and will probably play around using the AMP on occasion...  But, mostly interested in just using it as the DAC in my setup...

Thanks in advance....
Joe_Breezyjr

PS...  anyone know where to pick one up in SE Michigan...  (I'm an impulse buyer... hate waiting for shipping.. LOL)

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,037 of 5,414
I was wondering if anyone happens to be using the OPPO HA-1 just as a DAC and running the output to the Woo Audio WA7d + WA7tp?

I have paired it with my WA7 and it sounds great, no tube power though.  Neutrality of the HA-1 DAC with the warmth of the WA7 has made for a superb combo.  The DAC in the WA7 isn't bad but I prefer using HA-1 DAC with it.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #3,040 of 5,414
I get mine today....  

Unfortunately, the USED HD-800 I ordered from Amazon arrived yesterday.... BROKEN!  Someone had completely destroyed the connector for the left side...  The whole thing was pulled out of the headphone....  So, bummed I won't get to use them...  At least Amazon is making it right...  I'm getting a new pair, for the price I paid for the used pair.

Looking forward to later today...  

Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #3,041 of 5,414
  I get mine today....  

Unfortunately, the USED HD-800 I ordered from Amazon arrived yesterday.... BROKEN!  Someone had completely destroyed the connector for the left side...  The whole thing was pulled out of the headphone....  So, bummed I won't get to use them...  At least Amazon is making it right...  I'm getting a new pair, for the price I paid for the used pair.

Looking forward to later today...  

Joe_Breezyjr

WOW ! excellent Amazon customer service ! this turns out to be better for you ! Congrats on your hd800.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3,043 of 5,414

Thanks...  I am extremely happy....  

One quick question for the group...  If you do not run balanced inputs, is there any reason to use the balanced output?

Thanks,
Joe_Breezyjr

You could asked a similar question that all digital inputs are not really balanced. I use both outputs since I have a balanced amp. The balanced XLR on the back of the HA-1 is using a Op-amp that has an inverted output in addition to the non-inverted output for balanced operation. You can use either output or both while the balanced outs is better for the really long cable runs.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,044 of 5,414
  You could asked a similar question that all digital inputs are not really balanced. I use both outputs since I have a balanced amp. The balanced XLR on the back of the HA-1 is using a Op-amp that has an inverted output in addition to the non-inverted output for balanced operation. You can use either output or both while the balanced outs is better for the really long cable runs.

I didn't understand half of this... LOL

Maybe I asked the question wrong...  If you don't use the balanced inputs, is it worth using the balanced HEADPHONE output?

I only know a little regarding balanced...  I just wonder if the headphone amp portion is able to take, say a USB signal and "turn it into" a balanced HEADPHONE output.....

I think your statement above is referring to the balanced output on the back... as you say, you're using a balanced amp...

Thanks,
Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,045 of 5,414
Balanced headphone out has more power compared to single-ended out, so if you're using difficult to drive phone, do use the balanced out.
I'm only using the USB, optical and RCA in, but I prefers to ise the balanced out over single

Users who are viewing this thread

Back