Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2,971 of 5,414
It is not a matter of testing it. The issue is that you are physically removing the brains of the hardware, then installing new brains. This is a BIOS level update, not a driver level update, so if something fails for whatever reason, then the entire system becomes unusable. This is why we are not releasing the 1.3.3 firmware as there are no performance benefits of this firmware.

Will we have future firmware? It is planned, yes. During the beta program we updated the firmware many times to address concerns by the testers, which also means we have the capability to do the same for our end-users.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,972 of 5,414
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree that this is a rediculous excuse (can't update because we are afraid we'd brick the device) - I've received firmware updates on many devices over the years. My Fostex hp-a8c has three firmware updates currently available, and an additional two beta releases for early adopters.

Heck - even my oppo bdp 95 takes firmware updates just fine - and it isn't exactly the latest and greatest.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #2,973 of 5,414

then test it more.

Not all firmware updates are about performance.  If the benefits were only small, then they wouldnt have been done in the first place, OR if they are so small, it should be such a simple firmware rollout that everyone should get it.

Is this going to happen all the time? Will my unit be stuck on the same firmware while newer units get a better user experience and more features? There should be at least some communication from OPPO about this because that is not how you support early adopters.

And if you do screw something up when you do it yourself, what then? You're going to go open a support ticket and waste the time and resources of the company, all because you couldn't wait for a typo to be fixed. You'll probably even go so far as to point the blame at Oppo because it "didn't work properly" despite the fact that the error would have been your own. 

"Test it more" isn't always a viable option, and firmware is one of those exceptions. No amount of testing can account for a lack of common sense or unforseeable circumstances. 

"Simple" and firmware do not exist on the same page, edition, volume, or even book. That one letter fix for a typo? That results in hundreds of lines of assembly instructions being changed. If an update gets somehow interrupted, there's going to be two versions of code trying to do the same thing, and they certainly won't play nicely together. 

HasturTheYellow, an Oppo representative, is communicating about this, with us. He's telling everyone, you included, that there are no new features added, and that this is an update that can be easily ignored. Take that at face value and wait until there's something worth updating for, when there will actually be instructions on how to do this yourself that you can follow and update all you want.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #2,974 of 5,414
No that's ridiculous.  This is why you test firmware updates.  The whole point of a firmware update (i.e. what happens with the PS4 and Xbox One) is that it is tested, then released so everyone can download it.  There shouldnt be a failed firmware installation as they should test it extensively.

What new internal part does the HA-1 have that my edition wouldnt? So what, any repair unit going back gets new hardware put in it as well? no chance. He said that only new units and repair units coming back get the new firmware, so why shouldnt it roll out to everyone.  If it is such a simple and small update, then it should be easy to release to everyone.

This is the first time i have heard of a selective firmware update across a product line that only a few people get. 

This post reminds me of when a child wants a band aid simply because someone else has one. Really, if it isn't anything special why go on about it.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,975 of 5,414
This post reminds me of when a child wants a band aid simply because someone else has one. Really, if it isn't anything special why go on about it.

No that is a ridiculous analogy and you are being condescending just for the sake of it.

Firstly, this is the first time i have heard of selective firmware updates across a product line. Will this be the start of a new trend? it makes zero sense.

Secondly, it shows they dont have faith in their product or software to release it selectively because "it could brick".  Could you imagine if Sony or MS did that across one of their consoles?

They can test it.  The Bricking the machine thing is a terrible excuse, otherwise no one would ever improve their products or release new firmware updates.

I have multiple oppo products and they are normally pretty decent with the firmware updates and communication - so why wouldnt this be expected of this, their flagship and first headphone amplifier?

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,976 of 5,414

And if you do screw something up when you do it yourself, what then? You're going to go open a support ticket and waste the time and resources of the company, all because you couldn't wait for a typo to be fixed. You'll probably even go so far as to point the blame at Oppo because it "didn't work properly" despite the fact that the error would have been your own. 

"Test it more" isn't always a viable option, and firmware is one of those exceptions. No amount of testing can account for a lack of common sense or unforseeable circumstances. 

"Simple" and firmware do not exist on the same page, edition, volume, or even book. That one letter fix for a typo? That results in hundreds of lines of assembly instructions being changed. If an update gets somehow interrupted, there's going to be two versions of code trying to do the same thing, and they certainly won't play nicely together. 

HasturTheYellow, an Oppo representative, is communicating about this, with us. He's telling everyone, you included, that there are no new features added, and that this is an update that can be easily ignored. Take that at face value and wait until there's something worth updating for, when there will actually be instructions on how to do this yourself that you can follow and update all you want.

OK.  Let me know how it would be possible for me to screw up a firmware update? I got the first one with the amp from their website and installed that.  It is simple.  USB in, download new firmware from website, install.  If it doesnt work properly, then that is on OPPO's side, not mine. You continue to be a corporate apologist, but your reasoning is ridiculous.  You are essentially saying that i would be wasting the company's time if an error occurred with a product that i paid for - an error caused by their software!

And to your last point - if something is worth "updating for", what if OPPO believes that this update is not important for me, but only important for new customers? They decide not to release it - is that my fault then as well?

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #2,977 of 5,414
No that is a ridiculous analogy and you are being condescending just for the sake of it.

Firstly, this is the first time i have heard of selective firmware updates across a product line. Will this be the start of a new trend? it makes zero sense.

Secondly, it shows they dont have faith in their product or software to release it selectively because "it could brick".  Could you imagine if Sony or MS did that across one of their consoles?

They can test it.  The Bricking the machine thing is a terrible excuse, otherwise no one would ever improve their products or release new firmware updates.

I have multiple oppo products and they are normally pretty decent with the firmware updates and communication - so why wouldnt this be expected of this, their flagship and first headphone amplifier?

I'm not being condescending, I'm calling it like I see it. There is no reason to want this update other than to have it because someone else does. As a company owner I would have to weigh the risk/reward for distributing a firmware upgrade that could potentially create issues with some units (just like every other FW update on every other product). It's a very minor update that has no real functional value.

The other updates you have done to your other devices actually did something to improve the functionality or fixed bugs. This FW update does neither except for a spelling mistake (which you probably didn't notice) and a minor tweak to the volume display (which you probably won't notice). Enjoy your machine and wait for the future FW updates that Hasturtheyellow has said are in the works.

Man, first world problems. :rolleyes:

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2,979 of 5,414
I'm not being condescending, I'm calling it like I see it. There is no reason to want this update other than to have it because someone else does. As a company owner I would have to weigh the risk/reward for distributing a firmware upgrade that could potentially create issues with some units (just like every other FW update on every other product). It's a very minor update that has no real functional value.

The other updates you have done to your other devices actually did something to improve the functionality or fixed bugs. This FW update does neither except for a spelling mistake (which you probably didn't notice) and a minor tweak to the volume display (which you probably won't notice). Enjoy your machine and wait for the future FW updates that Hasturtheyellow has said are in the works.

Man, first world problems.
rolleyes.gif

oh really?

Why would you not want the best version of the product you have paid for.  How the hell do you know what i wont notice?  It's the principle of the matter that a company can tell me what i can or cant use after i have bought the product.  Who are they to do this?  I bring you back to other manufacturers:

Sony PS4 Firmware update 2.12 - Update (You probably wont notice it so we are not going to bother putting it out for you, however if you buy a new product you will get it! - also, we arent confident in our software team because this update may brick your machine - so we arent going to even bother sending it out to you).

This is the message they are basically conveying

1) the update isnt important
2) The firmware updates havent been tested
3) We think it could brick your system if you try and update it, so why even bother trying?

and your response is to support this and put the blame on me for wanting a firmware update to a system i bought?

get off your high horse.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,980 of 5,414

OK.  Let me know how it would be possible for me to screw up a firmware update? I got the first one with the amp from their website and installed that.  It is simple.  USB in, download new firmware from website, install.  If it doesnt work properly, then that is on OPPO's side, not mine. You continue to be a corporate apologist, but your reasoning is ridiculous.  You are essentially saying that i would be wasting the company's time if an error occurred with a product that i paid for - an error caused by their software!

And to your last point - if something is worth "updating for", what if OPPO believes that this update is not important for me, but only important for new customers? They decide not to release it - is that my fault then as well?

Your flash drive could corrupt the files due to various reasons. You could remove the USB device without thinking about it, before the update completes. Power could fail halfway through the update. There's any number of things that no company can plan for, and you're naive if you think nothing could happen to you.

I think you've already established that it's important to you. It's just that the rest of us can see it's not a big deal. In any case, have fun.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,981 of 5,414
  Your flash drive could corrupt the files due to various reasons. You could remove the USB device without thinking about it, before the update completes. Power could fail halfway through the update. There's any number of things that no company can plan for, and you're naive if you think nothing could happen to you.

I think you've already established that it's important to you. It's just that the rest of us can see it's not a big deal. In any case, have fun.

you realise those are some terrible reasons right? Those are standard disclaimers in any firmware update and no reason to not release it to the public because i "might remove the USB device without thinking about it".

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #2,982 of 5,414
oh really?

Why would you not want the best version of the product you have paid for.  How the hell do you know what i wont notice?  It's the principle of the matter that a company can tell me what i can or cant use after i have bought the product.  Who are they to do this?  I bring you back to other manufacturers:

Sony PS4 Firmware update 2.12 - Update (You probably wont notice it so we are not going to bother putting it out for you, however if you buy a new product you will get it! - also, we arent confident in our software team because this update may brick your machine - so we arent going to even bother sending it out to you).

This is the message they are basically conveying

1) the update isnt important
2) The firmware updates havent been tested
3) We think it could brick your system if you try and update it, so why even bother trying?

and your response is to support this and put the blame on me for wanting a firmware update to a system i bought?

get off your high horse.

I'm not on a high horse. I just am not ranting over something that only you seem to be whining about. You are obviously very upset about this so I suggest you go yell at Oppo Digital directly and demand the file that you deem so important to be up to date. Then you can keep this thread clear of entitled self righteous comments about how you deserve everything that's out there.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #2,983 of 5,414
We never said anything about the firmware upgrades not being fully tested or meeting any of our certification requirements. Please do not promote FUD.

If it is really a concern of yours that you have the 1.3.2 firmware, then just contact us requesting the 1.3.3 firmware. We will be more than happy to provide you with the firmware, despite it not adding anything useful to the HA-1.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,984 of 5,414
We never said anything about the firmware upgrades not being fully tested or meeting any of our certification requirements. Please do not promote FUD.

If it is really a concern of yours that you have the 1.3.2 firmware, then just contact us requesting the 1.3.3 firmware. We will be more than happy to provide you with the firmware, despite it not adding anything useful to the HA-1.

Lol, well that shut up the troll :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #2,985 of 5,414
Just collected my Oppo HA-1 unit. Heading home to enjoy it soon~

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back