Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2,958 of 5,414
Doesn't affect performance, so we are not making it available as a download, but all current shipping HA-1 and any repaired HA-1 will have the 1.3.3 firmware installed.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,959 of 5,414
  Doesn't affect performance, so we are not making it available as a download, but all current shipping HA-1 and any repaired HA-1 will have the 1.3.3 firmware installed.

I have high hopes that features will be added to the firmware.  Most wanted for me is a way to better match headphone and rear output levels so what's 'loud' for my PM-2s doesn't explode my speakers when I switch. It seems  like something more concise than just norm/hi for the ha would be nice, like fine tuning output to rear. Or a switchable option to have inserting headset kill the rear output. With the large volume disparity, I'm pretty nervous I'll accidently un-mute (so, normally take the step of turning off my amp, which I'd rather leave on)   Also, themes for the display, especially larger VU meters (or at least needles visible from 8 feet!). 

Great product (or we wouldn't want more out of it!)

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,960 of 5,414

I have high hopes that features will be added to the firmware.  Most wanted for me is a way to better match headphone and rear output levels so what's 'loud' for my PM-2s doesn't explode my speakers when I switch. It seems  like something more concise than just norm/hi for the ha would be nice, like fine tuning output to rear. Or a switchable option to have inserting headset kill the rear output. With the large volume disparity, I'm pretty nervous I'll accidently un-mute (so, normally take the step of turning off my amp, which I'd rather leave on)   Also, themes for the display, especially larger VU meters (or at least needles visible from 8 feet!). 

Great product (or we wouldn't want more out of it!)

I would like to see larger text in the displays so that I can see it across the room especially on the status menu. Also better linearity on the pot when using the remote (no slow response or jumping back on the volume display).

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,962 of 5,414
Finally got my custom cable made for my McIntosh headphones so I can plug them into the HA1 via XLR. Sounds Great!

Way to go man. That's some nice craftsmanship on the cable. Your Mac experience is now complete :wink:

Beautiful connectors, cable, and I love the logos....

Enjoy it buddy

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #2,964 of 5,414
thanks! :)

Makes them a bit blingy, but its obviously not something id ever leave the house with and wear around public.

Simply gorgeous! I love the simplicity of the Mac and the understatement of the headphones. Adds class and sense of assertion.

Just curious, do you believe in cable burnin? And if yes, how long do you pipe signal through till you feel it's ready?

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,965 of 5,414
Simply gorgeous! I love the simplicity of the Mac and the understatement of the headphones. Adds class and sense of assertion.

Just curious, do you believe in cable burnin? And if yes, how long do you pipe signal through till you feel it's ready?

No, im not a believer in cable burn in. I'm an "audiophile atheist". If science cant measure or or prove it then it doesnt exist in my book.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #2,966 of 5,414
That makes no sense at all. Why should other people get it if we don't? We bought the product before they did so why not just put the firmware for us to download?

Actually, it may make sense.  If it truly doesn't improve the performance of your unit (the firmware may be to match a new internal part that you don't even have), it's the same reason computer companies warn you not to update the bios of your computer unless you need to: a failed firmware installation may brick your device and require a trip to the shop.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,967 of 5,414
  Actually, it may make sense.  If it truly doesn't improve the performance of your unit (the firmware may be to match a new internal part that you don't even have), it's the same reason computer companies warn you not to update the bios of your computer unless you need to: a failed firmware installation may brick your device and require a trip to the shop.

could not agree more....I never upgrade period unless I am having an issue with something.....

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2,968 of 5,414
That makes no sense at all. Why should other people get it if we don't? We bought the product before they did so why not just put the firmware for us to download?

As Dougr33 already stated, anytime that you upgrade the brains of the hardware by upgrading the firmware, you run the risk of having the software fail due to some kind of upgrade failure. So there is no reason to upgrade the firmware of the HA-1 if there are no performance benefits other than slight changes in the size of the volume graphics and a spelling mistake.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,969 of 5,414

No that's ridiculous.  This is why you test firmware updates.  The whole point of a firmware update (i.e. what happens with the PS4 and Xbox One) is that it is tested, then released so everyone can download it.  There shouldnt be a failed firmware installation as they should test it extensively.

What new internal part does the HA-1 have that my edition wouldnt? So what, any repair unit going back gets new hardware put in it as well? no chance. He said that only new units and repair units coming back get the new firmware, so why shouldnt it roll out to everyone.  If it is such a simple and small update, then it should be easy to release to everyone.

This is the first time i have heard of a selective firmware update across a product line that only a few people get. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,970 of 5,414

As Dougr33 already stated, anytime that you upgrade the brains of the hardware by upgrading the firmware, you run the risk of having the software fail due to some kind of upgrade failure. So there is no reason to upgrade the firmware of the HA-1 if there are no performance benefits other than slight changes in the size of the volume graphics and a spelling mistake.

then test it more.

Not all firmware updates are about performance.  If the benefits were only small, then they wouldnt have been done in the first place, OR if they are so small, it should be such a simple firmware rollout that everyone should get it.

Is this going to happen all the time? Will my unit be stuck on the same firmware while newer units get a better user experience and more features? There should be at least some communication from OPPO about this because that is not how you support early adopters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back