Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,686 of 5,414
If you're feeding an external amp (assuming using RCA/xlr output), wouldn't you just be hearing the HA1's DAC? Not that it wouldn't sound sweet, just that you wouldn't be hearing the class A headphone amp in that configuration.

That's correct. The Oppo would act as the DAC in that setup

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,689 of 5,414
Hi

I urge all of you to read my very short review that I will end with few questions, please try your best to answer :)

I tested this amp/dac for around 20 days (used HE560, V-moda M100).

Build

SUPER! High quality material that you feel everytime you touch the knobs. No complaints at all.

Look

Perfect! Nice LCD screen with all info that you want. Dimensions are great, no crazy cube shape or too flat design. 

Inputs/outputs

There is no am/dac that can beat the HA 1 when it comes to inputs/outputs, Balanced and unbalanced headphones outs (4pin XLR and quarter inch), USB in (i use it to get audio out of my mac), optical in (I use it to get audio out of my PS4), pre amp out, bluetooth in (connected my iPhone and mac with no issues at all), coaxial in and more! This device acts as my media centre, I connected all my devices to this monster.

Interface

Easy with no learning curve. Just spend 2 min with it and you can master the entire interface. 

Remote control

NICE :) and not just remote, you can also download app on your cell phone to control the HA-1. The app is so great and really easy to pair over bluetooth. You don't have to turn the bluetooth on the HA-1 to connect the app! THSI IS GREAT. 

Sound

Honest! yes the HA-1 is honest dac/amp no colour or whatever. Transparent and will reveal the weakness of bad mixing and records. Sound stage is SUPER. 
YES there is zing at the high freq which might be annoying sometimes but it all depends on the quality of the record. If you have clean music that was mastered and mixed by good musician, then there will be no harshness or zing. Is this annoying? Yes, sometimes. I tried it with the HE560, which revealed that this amp/dac doesn't match well with bright headphones! The HE560 is too bright (to my taste) and have uncontrolled treble. So when pairing the HE560 with HA-1 you will get unpleasant results. 

My guess that the HA-1 was designed to be paired with warm headphones such as the PM1 and PM2 (this is why some members on this thread reported nice results with LCD 2, I never tried the LCD 2 but I assume they are warm). 

When pairing low ohm IEM you will hear hum/hisss at the background. BUT no hiss/hummm with 35ohm or above headphones. I tried it with V-moda M100, I got quite nice background. The V-Moda m100 is dynamic bassy phones, they don't match very well with the HA-1 due to the zing at highs (I know that HA-1 is over kill for V-moda). 

I am waiting for my PM-1 to try them with the HA-1, I assume that I will get very nice results. Because the HA-1 has energy on the highs which will balance the warmth of the PM-1 and give them since of air. 

My questions:
1- Do u think that bright dac/amp like the HA-1 is good for all warm headphones? I like warmth but sometimes they feel congested and I think that bright dac/amp will balance the warmth by offering more energy at the highs.
2- Bright amp/dac + warm headphones OR warm amp/dac + bright headphones, which is better???
3- Do u believe in SS amp burn in? Do u think the HA-1 will loose little of the zing at highs after 100 hours?

I LOVE HA-1 again I LOVE HA-1 the inputs and out puts are so convenient for me. I will loose a lot if I return this little monster. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,690 of 5,414
1. Trying to balance one coloration with another does not seem very productive. If you like a warm or bright coloration, just get equipment that has that. if you want neutral, get neutral.
2. Ditto.
3. Burn in? No you just get used to it's sound. Zing? That just depends on the recordings you listen to.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #2,694 of 5,414
I've been fiddling with the iFi gear - especially the iDSD micro. Has anyone hear the iDSD micro compared to the HA1?

I have heard it against the ifi Nano. Check this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/1065#post_11182396

I would imaging the micro to be better the the nano. What are you exactly pondering? Buying an iDSD micro over the HA1?

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,695 of 5,414

I have heard it against the ifi Nano. Check this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/1065#post_11182396

I would imaging the micro to be better the the nano. What are you exactly pondering? Buying an iDSD micro over the HA1?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am demoing the iDSD micro. Well, not quite demoing yet, because I'm going with the recommended 200 hour burn in time. As of right now the iDSD sounds pretty compressed, which isn't a very good thing. So, yes, I'm wondering if I should try out the HA1, over the iDSD micro. With both I would go into my SPL Auditor headphone amp, anyway. I'm interested in cleanliness and the DAC chip, really. Perhaps the preamp in the HA1, depending on what suits me, as I like to set my Auditor at unity gain and adjust the volume on the preamp accordingly (if, in fact, the preamp sounds good, as a matter of taste).

Interesting post that you pointed out.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2,696 of 5,414
Just a quick one here:

If we've already established that an ipod connected at the front ("mobile") is ONLY providing the ones and zeros, not using its own DAC and amp inside it, then how-come that functions like the "EQ" adjust, such as "treble booster" still work?  Surely they shouls have no effect at-all? Doesn't that rather infer that the ipod is still doing some processing - which it shouldn't be?

Thanks,

Herb....

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,697 of 5,414
Normal Operation:     "RAW DATA"  -> DSP*  -> DAC -> Internal Headphone amp -> headphones
Head-fi'er Operation: "RAW DATA"  -> DSP*  -> 30pin/lighting cable -> Outboard DAC -> headphones

The Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is applied before the DAC, therefore it affects the signal even when you bypass the iDevice internal DAC. You can just set the EQ to "off" to remove any DSP. 

*Note: my point here isn't to imply that all head-fi'ers use DSP/EQ on their iDevices, but simply to show where in the chain it's applied. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,698 of 5,414
  Just a quick one here:

If we've already established that an ipod connected at the front ("mobile") is ONLY providing the ones and zeros, not using its own DAC and amp inside it, then how-come that functions like the "EQ" adjust, such as "treble booster" still work?  Surely they shouls have no effect at-all? Doesn't that rather infer that the ipod is still doing some processing - which it shouldn't be?

Thanks,

Herb....

Yeah that has occurred to me also. However it must be digital manipulation in the iPod.

Let me explain. I have a iPod classic and the Arcam DrDock. The Arcam dock is connected to the Oppo using coax. A digital only format. Now the iPod EQ still works using that connection. It is only a digital connection. So however iPod is doing the EQ functions it must be on a digital functionality.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,699 of 5,414

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am demoing the iDSD micro. Well, not quite demoing yet, because I'm going with the recommended 200 hour burn in time. As of right now the iDSD sounds pretty compressed, which isn't a very good thing. So, yes, I'm wondering if I should try out the HA1, over the iDSD micro. With both I would go into my SPL Auditor headphone amp, anyway. I'm interested in cleanliness and the DAC chip, really. Perhaps the preamp in the HA1, depending on what suits me, as I like to set my Auditor at unity gain and adjust the volume on the preamp accordingly (if, in fact, the preamp sounds good, as a matter of taste).

Interesting post that you pointed out.

No problem. I can only give you the perspective of the HA1 and the Nano for now. Nonetheless, I have owned the HA1 for over 3 months and its rock solid. Built like a tank, no hiccups, excellent DAC, and an amazing media center. Its really above and beyond only a DAC, its actually an unfair comparison because you get some much more out of the HA1.

I initially bought it as a Headphone Amp and then switched over to the Lyr2 as my headphone AMP. The HA1 remained in the chain as the DAC and media center (bluetooth, mobile phone connect, pre-amp) and I can't see living without it now. I am researching turntables now, yeah..really..., and the HA1 will take the phono stage inputs and act as a pre-amp for the rest of my rig.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,700 of 5,414

No problem. I can only give you the perspective of the HA1 and the Nano for now. Nonetheless, I have owned the HA1 for over 3 months and its rock solid. Built like a tank, no hiccups, excellent DAC, and an amazing media center. Its really above and beyond only a DAC, its actually an unfair comparison because you get some much more out of the HA1.

I initially bought it as a Headphone Amp and then switched over to the Lyr2 as my headphone AMP. The HA1 remained in the chain as the DAC and media center (bluetooth, mobile phone connect, pre-amp) and I can't see living without it now. I am researching turntables now, yeah..really..., and the HA1 will take the phono stage inputs and act as a pre-amp for the rest of my rig.

Yes. I've been toying with the idea of a TT as well.

So do I have the right? We will need a TT that feeds into a phono stage and then into the Oppo. Is that correct?

I have to make a space somewhere????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back