Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,326 of 5,414
I have some of the components you are thinking of buying already working together: oppo ha-1, lyr2, and the audeze lcd3s. The audezes are heavier HPs when compared with the hd800s but to my ears they sound better. They are also aesthetically pleasing with the wood texture and lamb skin. Is there something specific you are hoping to achieve in your new setup?

sfo1972, thoughts on the oppo vs the lyr2? I've heard no so good things about the stock tubes so I would swap those out adding another $100. I want strong bass with forward vocals and black background. Everything review wise has me leaning towards some pre lcd-2's. No funds for the 3's. I want to get the amp/dac situation figured out first. I have an oppo blu-ray player a few years ago and loved it so I am an Oppo fan.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,327 of 5,414

sfo1972, thoughts on the oppo vs the lyr2? I've heard no so good things about the stock tubes so I would swap those out adding another $100. I want strong bass with forward vocals and black background. Everything review wise has me leaning towards some pre lcd-2's. No funds for the 3's. I want to get the amp/dac situation figured out first. I have an oppo blu-ray player a few years ago and loved it so I am an Oppo fan.

So there are a couple of things you need to sort out @headfiaddict, first would be which headphones; auditioning equipment is the best advice I got from a good friend of mine who is an audio addict. Whether you are considering the HD800s, LCD2s, AKGs, etc. make an appointment with your local dealer and ask to try the headphones you are considering. If buying used, don't be shy to ask and try before you buy, if you are buying locally vs. mail order.  Once you figure out the headphones that you intend to buy then you can skim head-fi for good pairings from a DAC/AMP perspective.

The second thing you want to sort out is the Oppo-HA1 vs. the Lyr2. Both of these headphone AMPs are absolutely awesome with different utility. The Oppo is an outstanding DAC, Bluetooth streaming machine, Mobile device connector, Aux-in, and other sources for inbound signals and the output can be to head-phones or pre-amp. The big plus with the Oppo is the balanced headphone connector as well as the unbalanced connector, so you have the option to get higher quality signal with balanced headphones (XLR connection).

The Lyr2 is also an amazing headphone amp. Headphone connector is an unbalanced 1/4" TRS. It also has pre-amp output that can be integrated to a downstream AMP when the headphones cable is unplugged. The volume knob on the Lyr2 controls the pre-amp line out level.

The stock tubes that that came with the Lyr2 are the 6zb7 tubes manufactured in Canada in recent years. They are good enough to start up with the Lyr and later get into tube rolling once you figure out what sound signatures you are looking for. There is an excellent thread for tube rolling that has a ton of good advice and information about different tubes and sound signatures. You expectations of about $100 for vintage tubes is about right as the prices range from $20s to $200s based on year, make, and country of manufacture.

Based on what you are trying to accomplish, you can pick the Oppo or the Lyr2.  In my case, I ended up buying the Oppo first with the Audeze LCD3s and enjoyed them immensely.  Tube sound got the best of me and I succumbed to buying a Lyr2 and connected the pre-amp from the Oppo into the Lyr2.  I hook up my LCD3s to the Lyr2 for tube listening and I switch to the Oppo balanced for solid state listening.

One thing to mention is that the Lyr2 is much louder than the Oppo, in a pleasant way. When you flip the high-gain switch on and drive the LCD3s you get much stronger output, deeper bass, pronounced instruments, and liquidity in the music when compared to the Oppo.

Sorry for writing a long reply - let me know if there is something specific you want to know based on the above.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,329 of 5,414
The setup you have might be worth skipping the bi frost paying an extra $500 and getting the oppo and the lyr. How does the DAC on the oppo matchup to the upgraded bi frost?

I wouldn't be able to comment on the bi frost with uber vs. the oppo's Dac. Maybe someone on this thread can chime in with their findings.

But the $500 for the oppo is well worth it because it's like a Swiss army knife. The oppo is really extensible, it's much more than a DAC. You can use its many features to extend your setup and add new things such as streaming, extra inputs, and so on.

One suggestion based on your finances would be to start out with oppo and ur existing HPs. Purchase an upgraded HP when possible. Then purchase the Lyr2 after that.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,330 of 5,414
  Perhaps someone form oppo can answer this. Are there any plans to release a new software update for the HA1? I submitted a couple of suggestions i.e. ability to mute analog outputs independently, changing colours of VU meter etc. Is anything on the docket or are we likely not going to see any type of updates.

How about the front usb port supporting Android?

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,332 of 5,414
The setup you have might be worth skipping the bi frost paying an extra $500 and getting the oppo and the lyr. How does the DAC on the oppo matchup to the upgraded bi frost?

Getting both the Oppo HA-1 and a tube amp effectively means paying twice for an amp. If you are going to finish with a stand alone amp, buy a stand alone dac also.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #2,333 of 5,414
Still trying to decide whether to use NORMAL or HIGH gain setting for my LCD-2. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in sound quality (except the volume level and knob position), and I can't match the levels for comparison because I don't have a good sound level meter. 
The manual says, "The rule of thumb for selecting the proper gain level is to find a comfortable listening volume that utilizes the upper range of the Volume Knob." 
What exactly is the "upper range"? Above 9:00 position on the volume knob? Above 12:00? 

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,334 of 5,414
  Still trying to decide whether to use NORMAL or HIGH gain setting for my LCD-2. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in sound quality (except the volume level and knob position), and I can't match the levels for comparison because I don't have a good sound level meter. 
The manual says, "The rule of thumb for selecting the proper gain level is to find a comfortable listening volume that utilizes the upper range of the Volume Knob." 
What exactly is the "upper range"? Above 9:00 position on the volume knob? Above 12:00? 

i run everything in High gain.  My headphones sound way too soft to be run in normal gain. Upper range should be above 12 closer to 3 right?

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,336 of 5,414
I think the difference would be huge in favor of the oppo of course, I went from an asus stx card to a wa7d ,Wow is right way better it's not even a comparison.. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,337 of 5,414

One thing to mention is that the Lyr2 is much louder than the Oppo, in a pleasant way. When you flip the high-gain switch on and drive the LCD3s you get much stronger output, deeper bass, pronounced instruments, and liquidity in the music when compared to the Oppo.

Would you say you ever have any issues with turning the Oppo volume knob on max with any headphone you have?

I'm currently in that situation where i have a bifrost/asgard and want to upgrade to the next level. I had a look at the Oppo and its feature list is absolutely amazing value but my only concern was the amp not being powerful enough for end game use.

I listen to headphones quite about louder than the average user so just alittle concerned with the Oppo not having enough juice.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,338 of 5,414
I've read reviews that said the HA-1 drove even the HE-6 to good levels. Should be plenty of power with most headphones

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,339 of 5,414
I've read reviews that said the HA-1 drove even the HE-6 to good levels. Should be plenty of power with most headphones

I would imagine that the Oppo would run bloody hot tho. It gets on the hot side on normal headphones. Can get a bit of a worry sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back