Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #4,906 of 5,414
My HA-1 has powered off by itself twice today during playback. I press the power button to turn it back on and it resumes as normal. Has anyone else experienced this or have a clue what the problem is?

Did you unplug the headphone cable right before it powered off? I've had the same thing happen a few times over the past two years and if my memory serves correctly, it was right after the headphones were disconnected.

No, I didn't have any headphones plugged in today. I was using the HA-1 pre-outs (RCA and XLR) to drive an amp for speakers and a powered sub. Source was a PC connected via USB.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #4,907 of 5,414
Anyone listening to the tidal Mqa masters via the OPPO ha-1? Sounds great through either my Bluesound node 1 optical out or analog out to the OPPO. The digital source does sound more sabre-like and seems to provide just a slightly fuller sound, while the analog source sounds smoother. I think it is just a matter of taste. Listening via the hd800. Anyone else?

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,908 of 5,414
Anyone listening to the tidal Mqa masters via the OPPO ha-1? Sounds great through either my Bluesound node 1 optical out or analog out to the OPPO. The digital source does sound more sabre-like and seems to provide just a slightly fuller sound, while the analog source sounds smoother. I think it is just a matter of taste. Listening via the hd800. Anyone else?

I've been having problems with that using the Tidal software for Windows 10 PC. If I use the Oppo Asio driver in exclusive mode, it works fine for a few songs but then starts getting distorted. It plays fine if I choose the default driver, but then it's getting downsampled. I'm wondering if I'm having these playback problems because I'm simultaneously uploading part of my library to Google Play Music on the same computer, which is very resource-intensive.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4,909 of 5,414
does ha1 pair well with pm2? any detail here appreciated for eg vs pm1

does pm3 pair well with ha1?  if cant afford pm1/2 upfront

the specs for the ha1 say things like 3200mw into 32 ohm balanced //unblanced or similar. howcome then the pm1/3 with 26/32 impedence are not blown to pieces by ha1? how did oppo make this possible for their headphones to work so well with such a powerful amp. other amps with less power out would blow such low impedence cans. cheers 
what is the magic that oppo have done to make their low impedence headphones sound great with a beast like ha1.

ha1 discontinued in uk i heard?

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #4,913 of 5,414
  Man this thing looks so beautiful, shame it's quite expensive!

Anyone wants to get rid of a HA-1, please let me know!

I am preparing to list my Silver HA-1 with latest Firmware and original packaging on Audiogon in the next two weeks.    It is 9/10 for only being used, no scratches or blems.

I haven't researched selling price, but I don't make profit on new gear I buy, enjoy, use and sell and will price accordingly.

Please let me know if interested or just be on the lookout for it.

Best Regards

Jim

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,914 of 5,414
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have Copland CTA 301 mkII amp that i was thinking to replace with Oppo HA-1 and understood that following would work fine with Oppo:

input:
xlr - cd-player ( Copland CTA-822 )
rca - lp-player phono amp ( Clearaudio Balance )
coaxial - blu ray player ( Panasonic DMP BDT-700 )
digital - TV Panasonic P50ST60

rca output:
Nelson Audio Image M9 power amps

front panel rca
Oppo PM3

or is there smarter/better way to connect those to HA-1 ? 

some reviews have said Oppo has bright or "sharp" sound, have you used it with tube power amps and speakers ?
if so, how did it work ? My speakers are Duntech Opals and sound with Copland preamp is pretty laid back, balanced,
well detailed and bright/bass rich enough. 

Is there way to balance volume levels with different connections ?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,915 of 5,414
  Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have Copland CTA 301 mkII amp that i was thinking to replace with Oppo HA-1 and understood that following would work fine with Oppo:

input:
xlr - cd-player ( Copland CTA-822 )
rca - lp-player phono amp ( Clearaudio Balance )
coaxial - blu ray player ( Panasonic DMP BDT-700 )
digital - TV Panasonic P50ST60

rca output:
Nelson Audio Image M9 power amps

front panel rca
Oppo PM3

or is there smarter/better way to connect those to HA-1 ? 

some reviews have said Oppo has bright or "sharp" sound, have you used it with tube power amps and speakers ?
if so, how did it work ? My speakers are Duntech Opals and sound with Copland preamp is pretty laid back, balanced,
well detailed and bright/bass rich enough. 

Is there way to balance volume levels with different connections ?

Thanks

I would not replace your Copland preamp with the HA-1 but add the HA-1 as another device.  I believe your Copland will have better sonics than the HA1 since it is a high end dedicated preamp.  Many consider the ESS dac on the Ha-1 to be a bit harsh when compared to other dacs such as those by TI's Burr Brown.  It all depends on the listener.  With analog inputs into the HA1, you won't be using the ESS dac and the HA1 would function as a preamp / headphone amp only.  There isn't any way to balance the volume on the different inputs.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #4,916 of 5,414
So after spending my day reading this thread from page 160 to present, I buckled and bought an HA-1. I found a silver demo unit from SolutionsAV here in greater Toronto for $1280 CAD (~$950 USD) . That vendor was endorsed a couple of times by members in this thread and the price seems good, especially now that I see that that model has been discontinued and prices are going up. It crossed my mind for a moment to switch my order to the black model (still available as refurbs) as I see the Sonica DAC but I don't think that the Sonica would be the DAC that I would add to the HA-1 anyway.

Also, in my impromptu spending fervor I bought some black dragon balanced cables from Moon Audio for my Beyer T5p.2s for use with my Onyo DAP. Those cables would also fit the 600 ohm T1 (I added a 2.5 to 4 pin adapter) and so I'm sure I'll audition the semi-open Beyer T1 Gen 2's with the HA-1 at some point. If not the T1's then I might look at the Ether Flows or Sony Sony MDR-Z1R. I like what I've read about the Audeze sound but I'd want a headphone that I can wear for 10 hours+ as I work at my desk and I'm not sure about the LCDs in that regard. I've heard good things about the 800s with the HA-1 but am not sure that that sound signature.

I think I'll float over to the T1 thread and see if there are any posts in there about pairing with the HA-1.

Also, as the vendor is in driving distance and they allow for the 30 day audition, there is a chance I may reconsider and look to pair something like a liquid carbon with a reasonable amp, although my little Audioengine DAC would probably be enough to pair with a liquid carbon at first.

Anyway, Cheers,
-Bill

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,917 of 5,414
Wonder if anyone can help me i have the Oppo ha 1 and a Rotel ra 1570 integrated amp.
I want to connect the oppo from pre out rca to my Rotel ra 1570 is this possible?

The Rotel ra 1570 has a cd, turner, aux1 and aux2 analog input. 

I know the Rotel has xlr input and the oppo has xlr out and can be connected this whey also.

And what exactly whould be the benefit of connecting the oppo and Rotel?

I am a newbie at this and all the help i can get will be much appreciated.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,918 of 5,414
The Oppo HA-1 has analog inputs and outputs, both RCA (unbalanced) and XLR (balanced). You can connect it to your Rotel preamp in either direction.

Suggested way to connect them: Source digital output -> (toslink or coax) -> Oppo -> XLR blanced -> Rotel

This way you're using Oppo's D/A converter instead of the one in your source devices. The Oppo sends an analog XLR signal to the Rotel preamp. And you can plug your headphones into the Oppo instead of the Rotel to use the Oppos's superior headphone output stage.

When connecting this way, put the Oppo into bypass mode. This means the Oppo's analog output (both RCA and XLR) will bypass the volume control and always be full-scale. You'll use the Rotel's volume knob. This bypass mode does not affect the Oppo's headphone output, which always obeys the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back