Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,306 of 5,414
From what people are saying the Mjolnir 2/Gungnir get untouchably hot and the HA-1 gets warm at most. The Schiit combo costs AU$1000 more that's why the HA-1 seems like the perfect choice. Once I get my DT 990 I will go to a local store and see how it sounds, but there's no way I can compare it to Schiit.

So you mean to get a liquid carbon amp + a DAC for the same price as the HA-1? Do you have some recommendations? Thanks very much.
The MJ2 gets hot, yeah, but not "untouchable" (at least not the volume knob, you don't need to touch anything else). Choose as you will, and enjoy!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #4,307 of 5,414
So you mean to get a liquid carbon amp + a DAC for the same price as the HA-1? Do you have some recommendations? Thanks very much.

I would personally get the liquid carbon for $600 (if you can still find one, new run will be $800) and a Gungnir at $850. A little bit more vs. the HA-1 ($1450 vs. $1200) but honestly both of those shoot way above their price range and would really move from you mid-fi to hi-fi. I would also consider the Mojo as DAC, haven't heard it personally but I've heard nothing but good things about it as a DAC.

The HA-1 is still a great value but I think if you buy an amp and a DAC seperately you can definately get better sound quality albiet in a two box setup.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #4,309 of 5,414
  I would personally get the liquid carbon for $600 (if you can still find one, new run will be $800) and a Gungnir at $850. A little bit more vs. the HA-1 ($1450 vs. $1200) but honestly both of those shoot way above their price range and would really move from you mid-fi to hi-fi. I would also consider the Mojo as DAC, haven't heard it personally but I've heard nothing but good things about it as a DAC.

The HA-1 is still a great value but I think if you buy an amp and a DAC seperately you can definately get better sound quality albiet in a two box setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Liquid Carbon doesn't seem to be very powerful compared to the HA-1 or Mjolnir 2?

1. Maximum Power: ~1.5W into 50R

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4,310 of 5,414

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Liquid Carbon doesn't seem to be very powerful compared to the HA-1 or Mjolnir 2?

1. Maximum Power: ~1.5W into 50R

What headphones do you plan to use with it? It's enough to power my HE1000's and it pairs wonderfully with the Ether C as well.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,312 of 5,414

At the moment I need one to drive the DT 990 600 ohms which is not too hard to drive, but as I said, I want an amp that's flexible for any headphone I might buy in the future, including the notorious HE-6.

Ah, well in that case you may want something more powerful, don't think the HA-1 could handle the HE-6 though in all honesty

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,313 of 5,414
Umm, LC singled ended output isn't that great. I would say the Oppo SE output also isn't that great. Both amps are better with balanced. That said, My T1 sounds pretty good on the oppo, but I do have to use high gain. There's nothing wrong with using high gain. My guess is that would work not he LC too. I haven't received my LC yet, so I can't test.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,316 of 5,414
  ouch.. new pricing for the liquid carbon is creeping into the price range for a used Bryston BHA-1.

What DAC will you plan to acquire?

It's still $600 of difference between the $800 Liquid Carbon and $1400 Bryston BHA-1 (I googled the price). Is the BHA-1 considered a much more superior product?

I haven't decided on the DAC yet, more research to be done and reviews to be looked at. Schiit Bifrost maybe?

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,317 of 5,414

It's still $600 of difference between the $800 Liquid Carbon and $1400 Bryston BHA-1 (I googled the price). Is the BHA-1 considered a much more superior product?

I haven't decided on the DAC yet, more research to be done and reviews to be looked at.

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the Liquid Carbon so I can't comment on a comparison. But its a very capable amp...definitely end-game for me in terms of a solid state amp. I bought my BHA-1 used for $700, but they more frequently go for about $850 used.

I've been looking into future DAC upgrades as well...

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4,318 of 5,414
  Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the Liquid Carbon so I can't comment on a comparison. But its a very capable amp...definitely end-game for me in terms of a solid state amp. I bought my BHA-1 used for $700, but they more frequently go for about $850 used.

I've been looking into future DAC upgrades as well...

I'm also considering upgrading my sound card on my PC instead of an external DAC, are they generally less desired in terms of sound quality compared to a dedicated DAC? I'm looking at the Asus Essense STX II.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4,319 of 5,414
Thought about getting LC too but every time I think about getting something else I always come back to the HA-1 because of it's versatility where I can just plug everything into it, plus the handy dandy little remote.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #4,320 of 5,414
HA-1 wins on versatility and design, liquid carbon wins on sound quality for me. Congrats at the LC purchase Chrome, don't think you'll regret it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back