Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2,750 of 5,414
I'm using the HA-1 with a Mac, but went the route of DSD Master, which creates (giant -_-) hybrid files that will play back correctly in iTunes HD PCM, but send the embedded DSD file to the HA-1 when present (via BitPerfect)

Works as advertised, DSD via USB to HA-1 on a Mac is certainly doable.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,751 of 5,414
  You mentioned tube amps being better than HA1, if I have the money to get Woo WA22 over the HA1, would you support my decision and why?

I wouldn't necessarily say in general that tube amps are better than the HA-1 (or other solid-state amps), that's a loaded topic here on Head-Fi ^_^; *I* just like tube sound better myself, a fairly subtle one at that, and the WA-22 is certainly a very nice tube amp, though there are others in that price range too.

As to why I think the M-DAC & WA22 would be a good combo, well:

I also used the M-DAC from USB source, but liked that setup because I didn't need constant access to a computer. Which is the main reason my setup has changed a bit since: the M-DAC is a DAC only, no transport, and I wanted an integrated solution. Which may be irrelevant to you. Either way, sound-wise, this is still as enjoyable as I have tried.

If you're a bit more on a budget, and perhaps a bit adventurous relative to the Head-Fi consensus: since the above was taken, for a long time I have used the M-DAC hooked up to the (IMHO) rather underrated Fosgate Signature headphone amp as my work setup. This setup was replaced by the HA-1 this thread should be about. And as I wrote above, I may go back to this, or at least hook the Fosgate up to the HA-1. Apart from the nice subdued tube signature, I also really like the optional, well-controlled analogue bass EQ & crossfeed surround switches.

And preemptive apologies for the topic drift  -_-

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #2,752 of 5,414
You mentioned tube amps being better than HA1, if I have the money to get Woo WA22 over the HA1, would you support my decision and why?

Great timing and interesting you brang up Oppo HA-1 and Woo WA22. A fellow head-fier and myself have just spent 6 hours doing a Solid State vs Tubes shootout. Using 3 different headphones. Audeze LCD3c, LCDX and a modified HD800.

This post is a bit of foreplay. I am too wasted tired to put a lengthy post now. However I will post details of our shootout tomorrow. :gs1000smile:

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,753 of 5,414

The Woo and the Oppo are completely different products. If you don't need the inputs, dac, pre out, etc. etc., that the Oppo has, and all you need is a headphone amp, then the Oppo is pointless for you.

If you want to stump up the extra cash and don't need the features the Oppo has, then the Woo is probably a good choice, as long as it suits your cans. Set some money aside for tube rolling and you can have a lot of fun.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,754 of 5,414

hmmmm, I would never say tube amps are better than the HA-1 or any other SS amp for that matter.  It's so a matter of individual tastes, what input devices, headphones, tubes, cables, quality of the recordings, etc are being used.  I have only had my HA-1 for a few days.  I ran a straight 48 hours playing through my LCD3's  for break-in purposes.  To my ears, tube amps add a warmer, "colored" sound compared to ss amps, which is simply perfect for the HD800 cans.

I am trying to find a DAC/AMP combo that will allow me to get the most out of my LCD3's, for my ears.  I DON't like the sound of my Woo DAC with the WA22 amp when playing through the LCD3's.  However, that combo is stellar with my HD800's-absolutely amazing.  Thus far, I really like the HA-1 as a headphone amp for my LCD3's, but I am using the stock LCD3 cable right now.  Waiting for my adapter cable from Drew at Moon Audio, so I can re-attach my Silver Dragon cable and really get a better idea.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,756 of 5,414
Subbed, always like learning about different amp/ dac combos. I got a oppo 103 blueray player and it's just fantastic and I would imagine the oppo ha-1 must be built like a tank and sound great too.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,757 of 5,414

I await your conclusions with great interest. Many thanks.

Since I am using headphone out it won't work in bypass so a ran the volume up to max. I then used the J.River internal volume for comparison. Oppo analog sounds better, more analog-like musically.

Some other info:

i settled on the registry value in windows of 16 under Win32 Priority Separation. I also tried Wasapi, kernel streaming, ASIO. ASIO sounds cleaner and more dynamic with less grain compared to the other options.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,758 of 5,414
hmmmm, I would never say tube amps are better than the HA-1 or any other SS amp for that matter.  It's so a matter of individual tastes, what input devices, headphones, tubes, cables, quality of the recordings, etc are being used.  I have only had my HA-1 for a few days.  I ran a straight 48 hours playing through my LCD3's  for break-in purposes.  To my ears, tube amps add a warmer, "colored" sound compared to ss amps, which is simply perfect for the HD800 cans.

I am trying to find a DAC/AMP combo that will allow me to get the most out of my LCD3's, for my ears.  I DON't like the sound of my Woo DAC with the WA22 amp when playing through the LCD3's.  However, that combo is stellar with my HD800's-absolutely amazing.  Thus far, I really like the HA-1 as a headphone amp for my LCD3's, but I am using the stock LCD3 cable right now.  Waiting for my adapter cable from Drew at Moon Audio, so I can re-attach my Silver Dragon cable and really get a better idea.

Ahaaaaa now I can see your approach!

Bright dac/amp + warm phones = sweet spot
HA1 amp/dac + LCD3

Warm/musical dac/ amp + bright phones = sweet spot
Wa 22 amp + HA1 dac only + HD800

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,760 of 5,414

Since I am using headphone out it won't work in bypass so a ran the volume up to max. I then used the J.River internal volume for comparison. Oppo analog sounds better, more analog-like musically.

Some other info:

i settled on the registry value in windows of 16 under Win32 Priority Separation. I also tried Wasapi, kernel streaming, ASIO. ASIO sounds cleaner and more dynamic with less grain compared to the other options.

That is good to hear. ASIO is what I use and it works for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back