Open vs Closed: A Review and Comparison of the AKG K712 Pro and the Beyerdynamic DT 150
Aug 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 70
I love the dt150s however I do find the sound a little closed in and a little boomy with slightly recessed mids when using the stock pads. Changing the pads to the dt100 velours makes the midrange pop out and sounded better to me than the stock pleather pads on the old setup I was using them with... I believe I used them straight out of a udac (first version).

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 70
I don't like the 80 ohm dt250 much but like the dt250-250 more than the dt150 overall due to its more neutral nature BUT the dt150 has a fun factor with Metal music thats addictive!

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 70
  I love the dt150s however I do find the sound a little closed in and a little boomy with slightly recessed mids when using the stock pads. Changing the pads to the dt100 velours makes the midrange pop out and sounded better to me than the stock pleather pads on the old setup I was using them with... I believe I used them straight out of a udac (first version).

I do find that the case myself at times, it largely depends on the song, but yes the bass can be a bit boomy at times, this becomes more obvious when compared to the K712 which has the best bass I've heard in a mid-tier dynamic headphone. The K712s main problem is that 2khz boost in the upper midrange, but I found it pretty much eliminated on some amps/tubes. If the new tubes I'm getting eases up the 2khz hardness and presence on the K712, I think the K712 will pull ahead of the DT 150 on my system. I would like to try the DT 100 velours sometime on the DT 150, I do have some brainwavz hm5 velours and they seem to do well by toning the boominess down a bit and bringing the midrange a bit more forward while making them sound even more open.

I don't intend in purchasing the headphones, but I read out of interest. That was a really great write up. Thanks! Straightforward comparisons and an enjoyable and easy read

Nicely written! 

Thank you!

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 70
Well this is weird, I've been taking socket savers in and out of the Lyr 2 to confirm what I'm hearing is actually happening. The K712's soundstage has become massive compared to what it used to be. The DT 150s bass has tightened up a bit and their soundstage has also became bigger. Dynamics have improved on both headphones. Without the socket savers the amp sound congested and dull in comparison. I wasn't expecting any sound change so this took me off-guard.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 70
wow interesting...i was thinking the opposite will happen..nice!!

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 70
dt250-250 is the most accurate among these but its not analytical in any way either unlike beyer's own premium line dt880 or t1 which can sound sterile

Im a little confused please explain in further detail ''dt250 is most accurate but not analytical'' aren't these 2 supposed to be the same?

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #28 of 70
Wats a FR...blush, jus hit the bye$ Buy button!:)

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #29 of 70
analytical Very detailed, almost to the point of excess.

accuracy The degree to which the output signal from a component or system is perceived as replicating the sonic qualities of its input signal. An accurate device reproduces what is on the recording, which may or may not be an accurate representation of the original sound.

These are the definitions based on the originator J Gordon Holt. I would say that in layman's terms the difference would be that analytical tries to be detailed by sometimes boosting highs for example to give an illusion of more detail like the way some akgs like the k701 does. In the end the sound is not accurate or sometimes even worse, noticeably incoherent and lacking in balance giving more weight to highs than the rest of the spectrum.

So back about the dt250-250, it doesnt try to make everything more detailed than it is. It will sound dull with dull recordings as well. I like that.

Im a little confused please explain in further detail ''dt250 is most accurate but not analytical'' aren't these 2 supposed to be the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back