Open vs Closed: A Review and Comparison of the AKG K712 Pro and the Beyerdynamic DT 150
Aug 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #31 of 70
just for my own curiosity..which 2 cans were those ...?

i normally try to do a test audition off my handfone when i get the chance,
do some reading n and the rest is gut feel..a blind punt at its worst..lolz 

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #32 of 70
  Short on money, but I would like to try a new headphone. The DT 150 sounds pretty cool, but I can't find a FR for this headphone anywhere! 
Could someone help me out? :D

Heres the dt250-250 graph from the same site

The FR difference between the two in reality (sonically) does seem to be more dramatic than that though. Maybe the dt150 here was measured without a very good seal since I would think it to be bassier than that.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 70

Heres the dt250-250 graph from the same site

The FR difference between the two in reality (sonically) does seem to be more dramatic than that though. Maybe the dt150 here was measured without a very good seal since I would think it to be bassier than that.

Thanks!

Looks like I will NOT purchase the DT150. That region in the treble spells disaster for me, does this headphone have sibilance issues? The DT250 on the other hand, looks almost perfect...

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 70
yes you can hear some of that peak with the stock pads but the bass masks it a little. I didnt have problems with sibilance though. However, dt100 velour pads made that peak totally disappear

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 70
  wow interesting...i was thinking the opposite will happen..nice!!

It's weird but I am happy with the results, I guess its the vibration reduction or something. While both headphones improved sonically, the K712 pulled ahead. On the Hifiman EF2A with a variety of tubes, I thought the DT 150 sounded the better of the two headphones. The Lyr 2 in stock form the DT 150 sounds slightly better, but with the socket savers the K712 sounds noticeably better. Just waiting for the new tubes to come in and after they burn-in to see if they even out or if the K712 pulls ahead more.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #37 of 70
yes you can hear some of that peak with the stock pads but the bass masks it a little. I didnt have problems with sibilance though. However, dt100 velour pads made that peak totally disappear

the 2nd sentence is true with mine.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #38 of 70
Velours are renowned for attenuating treble harshness. The other common side effect it that the bass tends to also lose some of it's tightness which can be mitigated with a certain degree of cup dampening of some sort.

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #39 of 70
I own both DT250-250 and DT150, both with the original velour and pleather pads.
I've done so many comparisons... and in the end, I love them both equally.
But IMO, one thing is sure, the DT 100 velour pads ruins the strengths and fun of the DT 150 (shouty vocals, dramatically smaller soundstage, average bass, and what not...).
DT 150 with velour pads is a non-sense.
If you want neutrality and accuracy, DT 250-250 with velour pads is the way to go (they sound horrible with pleather pads).
If you want something fuller and warmer, get the DT 150 (with pleather pads).
Get both if you can of course, they are fantastic HPs, but sadly totally ignored by head-fiers influenced by advertising and fashion.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #40 of 70
  But IMO, one thing is sure, the DT 100 velour pads ruins the strengths and fun of the DT 150 (shouty vocals, dramatically smaller soundstage, average bass, and what not...).
DT 150 with velour pads is a non-se

Fully agree....

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 70
cant agree.... it is all about setup synergies., and taste  :p
The DT150/DT100velor  is quite transparent n will output whats up the chain.

Played BATMAN last nite, n my drivers were rumbling...soundscape is v spacious.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #42 of 70
double posted...my laptop also disagree..lolz

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #43 of 70
  I own both DT250-250 and DT150, both with the original velour and pleather pads.
I've done so many comparisons... and in the end, I love them both equally.
DT 150 with velour pads is a non-sense.
If you want neutrality and accuracy, DT 250-250 with velour pads is the way to go (they sound horrible with pleather pads).
If you want something fuller and warmer, get the DT 150 (with pleather pads).
Get both if you can of course, they are fantastic HPs, but sadly totally ignored by head-fiers influenced by advertising and fashion.

I agree with everything except for the velour pads on the dt150. Those make the sound rich and warm and it makes the sound lose that hollowness but if one already has the dt250-250 anyways then the dt150 with stock pleather pads would be a better complement for its more bodacious sound :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #44 of 70

I agree with everything except for the velour pads on the dt150. Those make the sound rich and warm and it makes the sound lose that hollowness but if one already has the dt250-250 anyways then the dt150 with stock pleather pads would be a better complement for its more bodacious sound :)

I don't have any issues with hollowness on the DT 150. Maybe it's system I used them on, my system is pretty warm and full sounding. The new tubes I have in the amp are on the warm and full side, the stock ones are a bit brittle in the treble and upper midrange and caused listening fatigue because of that. The DAC I use I also noticed being on the warm and full side compared to what I have used in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back