Open vs Closed: A Review and Comparison of the AKG K712 Pro and the Beyerdynamic DT 150
Sep 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #61 of 70
It's not really that, I find them better than the other mid-tier Beyers I tried(DT 880, DT 990, and DT 770), the DT 150 has the problem I have with every Beyer I tried, they become boring and I realized their sound is too uniform and lacking textured compared to Senns and especially AKGs. I'm just not a Beyer person. The HD 600 do have a bit of a rounded sound to them which takes the edge off, it becomes noticeable when the treble kicks in, sort of lush as well, pink candy sound is a good description, it's not really a veil but more of a soft rounding to their sound like you said. Listen to a K712, Q701, and K701 on a powerful system with good synergy, I honestly think they are the best of the classic trio when amped right, they are just so picky. They can sound quite aggressive and intimate to overly laid-back depending on the system, the bass also varies wildly from system to system. I haven't owned headphones that varied in sound from song to song and amp to amp near as much as the K712 or Q701.

I am trying to decide whether I prefer the Q on my Lyr or my O2. Against my intuition, I almost prefer them on the O2 more.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #62 of 70
  analytical Very detailed, almost to the point of excess.

accuracy The degree to which the output signal from a component or system is perceived as replicating the sonic qualities of its input signal. An accurate device reproduces what is on the recording, which may or may not be an accurate representation of the original sound.

These are the definitions based on the originator J Gordon Holt. I would say that in layman's terms the difference would be that analytical tries to be detailed by sometimes boosting highs for example to give an illusion of more detail like the way some akgs like the k701 does. In the end the sound is not accurate or sometimes even worse, noticeably incoherent and lacking in balance giving more weight to highs than the rest of the spectrum.

So back about the dt250-250, it doesnt try to make everything more detailed than it is. It will sound dull with dull recordings as well. I like that.

Totally agreed on the K701! Sterile , cold and unnatural...

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #63 of 70

DT150 is just not a very good headphone mate :) , it is sturdy and looks cool but it's behind in sound after other only slightly pricier Beyer cans. But to show off to friends I could not justify keeping them. Interesting thing is also that ears do not touch the sponges in DT150, I mean with original pleather pads that is cool, but they put some undue pressure on the skull behind ears.
I remember buying HD600, I was not a headphone geek yet and not familiar with reviews etc. I already had had Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm and when I put HD600 on I felt like something was between the drivers and my ears impeding the sound, I removed the sponges and used them with naked drivers and it slightly only improved. The sound seemed like filtered, digitally processed and rounded on edges. Then after I had sold them on I read about Senheiser "veil". I coined a term "pink candy sound" for this, it quite sucks if you listen to 1950s jazz for instance as saxophones sound like processed through Amiga computer he he. 
I never had AKG K712 but with K701 it was like listening to music on a large open plateau, with little intimacy, comparing to this Beyer cans give me intimate feel of a club.

Wow, your views on the HD600 and the K701 totally agree with mine. I think they're both rather flawed headphones, albeit for very different reasons. Beyers rule! 
L3000.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #64 of 70

Wow, your views on the HD600 and the K701 totally agree with mine. I think they're both rather flawed headphones, albeit for very different reasons. Beyers rule! 
L3000.gif

Every headphone I've heard (or read about) so far is "rather flawed" in some way or the other. It's a common complaint levelled at almost every high-end "Flagship" headphone ever heard. Or read about. Not to mention all the failures floating and bobbing around in the flood of lower level headphones...

All the Beyers I've heard so far sounded both good and flawed, at the same time.

There, I've said it. As with every other headphone that I'm aware of, they do certain things really well and certain other things... not so well. But the failures in headphones work to our advantage because it is better to own several pairs and/or brands of headphones. Owning just one pair or brand feels and sounds too monogamous.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #66 of 70
In my experience most closed cans tend to have trouble with speed especially in the lower mids which tends to leave them sounding boxy and just incorrect. The FR tends to be much more varied and less smooth across the board. If you must go closed then you just have to live with it for the most part. Finding an even somewhat neutral sounding closed can is an impressive feat.

Also to add to what has been said above and potentially to start more discussion, lol, I find the HD600 to be the true to life headphone with truly fantastic detail and an accurate FR but small soundstage and super boring overall tonality (that is kind of the point of the cans anyway). The DT880 is distinctly bright yet also boring at the same time as its soundstage is good but nothing too special. It is only mildly piercing after burn in whereas I couldn't survive more than 10 seconds listening to a DT990 Pro which is truly painful in my experience. The DT880 also sounds rolled off due to the treble energy of the spiky FR up top masking the detail above 10k. My Q701 has a huge stage, engaging and forward 2k-centered mids, and wonderfully extended treble. It's my personal favorite. It just depends on your taste. I also am a gamer and it works wonderfully for that.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #67 of 70
  Every headphone I've heard (or read about) so far is "rather flawed" in some way or the other. It's a common complaint levelled at almost every high-end "Flagship" headphone ever heard. Or read about. Not to mention all the failures floating and bobbing around in the flood of lower level headphones...

All the Beyers I've heard so far sounded both good and flawed, at the same time.

There, I've said it. As with every other headphone that I'm aware of, they do certain things really well and certain other things... not so well. But the failures in headphones work to our advantage because it is better to own several pairs and/or brands of headphones. Owning just one pair or brand feels and sounds too monogamous.

It would seem that we have a different understanding of what "flawed" means.  Of course there's no such thing as a perfect Headphone, although some do get closer to that elusive goal. In my experience and my opinion, as far as Dynamic headphones are concerned, those that get closer are almost all Vintage designs.

From Beyerdynamic, I would pick the 1985 DT990, Revox Synergy (sort of a SE DT990) and the DT811/DT911/DT931 series. From Sennheiser, the HD540 (I and II), HD560 and HD250 Linear II (Closed Back).  Apart from HD250 II, Closed Back favourites are the DT801/DT901/DT831 series from Beyerdynamic. I would also rate the AKG 240DF as a strong contender, perhaps somewhat behind the rest. 

From the current crop, I would single out the Beyer T90, which I rate as truly exceptional. Not having heard either the HD800 or the T1, I cannot ascertain to their respective merits, but I would seriously doubt that they warrant their very steep price tags.
In fact, as far as the HD800 is concerned, there are some Head-fiers that have compared it with their Vintage sibling, the HD540 Reference, and concluded that the latter performed to a very similar level. Some have actually preferred the HD540, which frankly did not come as a surprise to me. I own no less than Three pairs of these (MKI/600 ohm, MKI/300 ohm and MKII/300 ohm) and I can certainly concur that they are exceptional. 

Perhaps I should re-qualify my assessment of both the HD650/HD600 and the K701/702 and describe them as Deeply flawed...

Obviously, I would agree with you that owning just a pair of Headphones or a single brand feels too monogamous! 

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #68 of 70
  I've never heard a Beyer but i can say I've never heard a great sounding closed can...especially at higher volumes.

Well, I respectfully disagree. I would suggest that you try the Closed Back DT801/DT901/DT831 series from Beyerdynamic. As well as the Sennheiser HD250 Linear II, very possibly the best of the lot!

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #70 of 70
The only flaw for DT 150 is its comfort for constant everyday listenings over 8 hours a day.
They usually a bit heavy and rough, close cans  make a barocamera effect. To get rid off barocamera effect I made several small tiny holes in pads .
It slightly influenced sound, but made my DT 150 more comfortable and no barocamera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back