Open-Ear Cans for the Office for Under $300? (No amp)
Apr 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

livemau5

New Head-Fier
I posted in the "Buying headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE" thread but did not get much traction due to the influx of advice posts. I did get one suggestion and found a few others I was interested in, so I thought I'd post a shortened list so I could get everyone's feedback.

I'm looking for a nice set of cans to use in the office while I'm doing work. I'm currently using Klipsch s4i's, but since they seal out noise pretty well, I can never hear when my coworkers/superiors need me unless they come by my desk. As a result, I'm in the market for open cans. Here are my music preferences and headphone requirements:

Music: A little bit of everything, but most of the time I listen to house/electro/dubstep (ex. deadmau5, Justice, Daft Punk, Boys Noize, David Guetta, Kaskade, MSTRKRFT, Digitalism, Girl Talk, Major Lazer, Swedish House Mafia, etc.)

Source: Laptop (Grooveshark or Pandora @ 192 kbps); would never use this for portable music

Amp: None

Price Range: preferably $200 or less, but I'd go up to $300 if the quality is exponentially better

Style: Open - I need to be able to hear those around me. Clearly, I won't be able put them on full blast during the day, but I have no problem turning up the volume at night when only a few of my coworkers are still around (or I can always revert to my earphones).

Other Important Notes: I'll be wearing these for several hours a day (I work 12-14 hours a day), so comfort is pretty important

The cans I'm considering:
  1. Denon AH-D1100 (I've heard great things about the AH-D2000's, but they're a bit out of my price range)
  2. Ultrasone (DJ1 PRO, HFI 2200, HFI-2400)
  3. Sennheiser (HD595 or HD598)
  4. Grado (SR 80i or SR125i)

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Hmm, based on your preferences, I'd say either the HD598 or D1100 would fit your usage best.  I would personally lean more towards the HD598 because of the soundstage advantage a slightly more engaging sound signature, though the bass might not be punchy enough for your musical genres.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the feedback. How "weak" is the bass?

Wish I could try either of these out before buying.

Quote:
Hmm, based on your preferences, I'd say either the HD598 or D1100 would fit your usage best.  I would personally lean more towards the HD598 because of the soundstage advantage a slightly more engaging sound signature, though the bass might not be punchy enough for your musical genres.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 9
     Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. How "weak" is the bass?

Wish I could try either of these out before buying.

It's not quite weak, it's quite punchy and well controlled, but it's not bass heavy.  Yeah I agree, it would great to able try these guys out before buying, though if you make your purchase through Amazon they have an excellent hassle free return process.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Ended up getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I really like the sound, but I think they're a bit too big (and closed) for the office. Any other suggestions?

Might have to jump on the Grado 80s or 125s unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 9
All open cans leak sound, but Grados do so effortlessly, at just about any volume.  Just keep in mind that, with Grados, you might as well have small speakers on your desk.

As far as open cans in an office setting are concerned, I have had people sit next to me with various cans from Sennheiser and AKG, and none of them were a bother to me while working.  The AKGs require an amplifier to sound their best, but the Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 are cheap, open, and easy to drive.

Keep in mind that the HD555 can easily be modified to match the HD595.  As such, I would recommend you pick up a pair of HD555s.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 9
i've really been digging my Sennheiser HD 555s. and there's a very easy mod you can do to turn them into 595s (or something very close). these Senns are ultra-comfortable and sound great.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks sporky and pesky. Are the 555s considerably bigger than the Grados? The reason I'm leaning towards returning my ATH-M50s is because I got a lot of stares from the senior guys, presumably because they're such large phones.

I suppose if size is really that big of a concern, I should probably stick with earphones...

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 9
The Senns are circumaural while the Grados are on-ear.  As such, the Senns are technically larger.  The Grados, however, have a very "retro" look and will usually stick out more when seen from a rear or front profile.

While more expensive, the Sennheiser HD598 is a very classy (and expensive) looking headphone, and while I really hate to recommend a set of cans based on looks, if looks really are a concern, these may be a solid option.  (They DO also sound good, by the way, but the HD555s are a far better value.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back