Open backed headphones, $200ish
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 28
Me too. I use them for ambient(Solar Fields, Asura, Sync24, etc), downtempo(Massive Attack, Mimi Page, etc), and even dubstep sometimes. I just use a little bit of the E17 bass boost, +2db normally, and sometimes +4db when I wanna have a little more fun. But clear, tight, and fast describes the Q701 bass, it's not bloated or uneven at all.
Quote:
+1 Totally agree here. I even use them for Electronica because the bass is so clear and tight.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #17 of 28
I also have the AKG's
they are terrible for metal and rock.
Progressive rock they are a major win though.

Imo buy some grado's. (60's, 80's or 225's) and be done with it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #18 of 28
I agree with jasonb and bigbenn74. I'm over the moon with how Q701 performs with rock and metal.
I find them very energetic and engaging. Guess its all about different ideas of how certain genre needs to be presented, different ears, sources,etc.  

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 28
To OP: Get a pair of Ultrasone HFI-2400, they're great for Alt Rock and should maintain pretty much the same sound signature (only improved, say more controlled and extended bass and treble) of the M50s that you like. Plus they can be found for a very reasonable price.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 28
I think I'll try the Grados, mostly because I need a new iPod as well and the price point of the Grados fits well with me. If I don't like them I'll return them and try out either the AKG's or the HFI-2400's

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #23 of 28
Why do you think this? What makes them good for a sub genre of rock, but not rock itself? I dont understand how you can say this.
Quote:
I also have the AKG's
they are terrible for metal and rock.
Progressive rock they are a major win though.

Imo buy some grado's. (60's, 80's or 225's) and be done with it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 28
For a great deal of metal, they lack the aggression to sound as good as they should.
for a lot of rock imo they lack musicality and closeness that i prefer. sometimes its not about ability to render absolute microdetail but emotion.

i love my AKGs, terrible WAS a bit strong. but there are some genres where the Grados will outshine them.
it just so happens that its these genres. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 28
Have you ever heard an HD650? What do you think about them for rock/metal? A lot of people like them for rock and metal, but they are even less aggressive than the Q701. 

It just bugs me when people say the Q701 is a bad choice for rock and metal. Also, a lot of people love the TWFK balanced armature IEM's for rock and metal, and to me the Q701 is very close in terms of frequency response. The Q701 has just a tad less bass, and a bigger soundstage, but other than that they sound pretty much the same. 

I really like the Q701 for rock and metal. I guess not everyone likes their music presented in the same manner. I think they have everything needed for rock and metal, they are fast and detailed, without a bloated bass. They aren't dark, but they aren't harsh either. I call them bright, but smooth. They may be a bit to resolving for badly recorded or badly mastered music, but I don't bother with bad recordings. If an artist doesn't want to produce an album properly, then they simply won't get my money. 

I do listen to music at a relatively low volume though, so I guess maybe I don't put to much thought into the whole aggression thing. I don't listen to metal to get mad, I just like to relax and listen to it. Of course the heaviest I really like is Opeth, and Fear Factory, most of my other listening is to less aggressive progressive rock and progressive metal. I've never been a big fan of the fast thrash style or the growling vocals.   
Quote:
For a great deal of metal, they lack the aggression to sound as good as they should.
for a lot of rock imo they lack musicality and closeness that i prefer. sometimes its not about ability to render absolute microdetail but emotion.

i love my AKGs, terrible WAS a bit strong. but there are some genres where the Grados will outshine them.
it just so happens that its these genres. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 28
I own the HD650 too actually :wink:
And I dislike it for metal, but i can see why others like it. they take away a lot of the treble energy which makes metal hard to listen to sometimes while maintaining the details. but i love it for EDM and classical. 
they are also the easiest to listen to out of everything.

And yeah.. when i do listen to metal it tends to be a bit louder than how i listen to other genre's... not to get angry.. but to feel the artists anger.
That's important.
You are right. they do rock/metal quite well. i was wrong to say otherwise.
but especially for metal, and to a pretty large extent i feel they fall short of grados.

That's what is cool about this hobby though, everyone is different.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 28
Update: I'll be ordering the 80i's with HD414 pads, and Imma try out both the stock and HD414 ones to see differences. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 28
Also, I'm pretty solid on the idea of getting an Electric Avenue PA2v2 to drive my headphones. Any one else think thats a good move?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back