ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #15,256 of 16,326
Just wondering does the acrylic fix work if your jack is already loose and not working. I'm going to buy the product second hand and maybe i'll be able to fix it
This is preventive only, this will not fix any preexisting issues with your DAP. If you use something to make the jack more rigid it is less prone to coming apart. The X1 I have does not really have a gap in the 3.5mm jack area like I seen and I do not have any wiggle or any issues thus far.

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #15,259 of 16,326
Hello. I have two quick questions about the DP-X1A that I'm planning to buy:

1) Can you download, for offline listening, either in the internal memory (64gb) or in the extended memory (512gb) songs from Spotify and/or Tidal?

2) Is there any portable music player with WIFI / Android for streaming/downloading Spotify/Tidal better sound quality wise than the DP-X1A?

Thank you very much!!

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #15,260 of 16,326
Hello. I have two quick questions about the DP-X1A that I'm planning to buy:

1) Can you download, for offline listening, either in the internal memory (64gb) or in the extended memory (512gb) songs from Spotify and/or Tidal?

2) Is there any portable music player with WIFI / Android for streaming/downloading Spotify/Tidal better sound quality wise than the DP-X1A?

Thank you very much!!

Yes, you download via wifi anything that can be downloaded, and that covers everything.

You have a smar phone, yes? Onkyo DP X1 is Android device, and functions like every Android phone, except X1 does not have a sim card slot, nor GSM function. Otherwise you use it like any Android phone, download your favorite music app, download apps etc.

To me there is no better soundig DAP, and I've auditioned everything there is, in Singapore and Hong Kong hi end stores, both places are currently DAP and hi end headphones and IEM crazed.
To me X1, using Balanced Out with balanced cable headphones is better then both top Sony, better than Astell, included their obscenely, insultingly priced top model, better than Fiio X5 and X7. Closest match would be IBasso dx200, it's a toss up, but I prefer Onkyo.

Except my Onkyo DP X1 3.5mm audio out socket broke within weeks lol. So if you go for Onkyo, be aware that both output sockets are beyond fragile and prone to fail with regular use, the output sockets are bad beyond description. No other player uses sockets that fail only due to PLUGGING HEADPHONE PLUG IN AN OUT.

So be warned. I was warned, still bought it, and surely one socket failed within weeks. Also be aware that there is no such thing in Onkyo's vocabulary as customer service. I never encounter anything like this in audio industry, and I been customer for hi end stuff for 20 years.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #15,261 of 16,326
Yes, you download via wifi anything that can be downloaded, and that covers everything.

You have a smar phone, yes? Onkyo DP X1 is Android device, and functions like every Android phone, except X1 does not have a sim card slot, nor GSM function. Otherwise you use it like any Android phone, download your favorite music app, download apps etc.

To me there is no better soundig DAP, and I've auditioned everything there is, in Singapore and Hong Kong hi end stores, both places are currently DAP and hi end headphones and IEM crazed.
To me X1, using Balanced Out with balanced cable headphones is better then both top Sony, better than Astell, included their obscenely, insultingly priced top model, better than Fiio X5 and X7. Closest match would be IBasso dx200, it's a toss up, but I prefer Onkyo.

Except my Onkyo DP X1 3.5mm audio out socket broke within weeks lol. So if you go for Onkyo, be aware that both output sockets are beyond fragile and prone to fail with regular use, the output sockets are bad beyond description. No other player uses sockets that fail only due to PLUGGING HEADPHONE PLUG IN AN OUT.

So be warned. I was warned, still bought it, and surely one socket failed within weeks. Also be aware that there is no such thing in Onkyo's vocabulary as customer service. I never encounter anything like this in audio industry, and I been customer for hi end stuff for 20 years.

Thank you SO MUCH for your prompt and extensive answer. I'm going to buy it! And yes, I will try to be as careful as possible with the headphone jack. Hope mine won't be broken that soon! Thanks again!

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #15,263 of 16,326
Onkyo DP X1 w dangle.jpg
Thank you SO MUCH for your prompt and extensive answer. I'm going to buy it! And yes, I will try to be as careful as possible with the headphone jack. Hope mine won't be broken that soon! Thanks again!

Cool!

Just one more thing, should you get the Onkyo DP X1, buy 2 dangles, short adaptors, similar that came with your Grado PS1000 on your avi.

I use a dangle in Balanced Out socjete, and never take it out, instead I unplug headphone cable from dangle, just few pages ago this was suggested here, and it's the best advice, especially for this DAP. But it's a good idea for dap that you carry with you. Usually headphones output sockets come loose from circuit board, as a rule only soldering joints are holding the socket in place. Should you put the player in your pants pocket, no matter how loose the pants, if headphones are plugged in, the plug will bend the socket, and something has to give, and it's udually the solder joints, maybe just one of the 3 solder joints on regular 3.5mm socket. Ibasso models are prone to that. So is every phone, but you don't hear much about phone socket failures, do you? That's because manufacturers know that people carry phones in their pocket, and sockets are attached to circuit board with keeping that in mind.

Onkyo X1 is different, its not the solder joints that fail, the sickets internal contacts fail, due to plugging/unplugging headphones. That is industries 1st, I believe, quit an achievement!

My 3.5mm L channel failed, that means that Ground and R are still making a contact with headphones plug, but L isn't making contact, should output be completely silent, that means Ground failed. It is such a ridiculous failure. All you have to do is simply use headphones, and the socket will fail. So it's a good idea to plug in the dangle, and never take it out. My Balanced is in tact so far.

And carry it in a way that does not put any stress on dangle itself.
Here's a pic of my player, just now, I'm sitting at the back of motorcycle taxi. As you see, dangle input plug doesn't touch anything even while sitting upright.

Sorry for typos, I'm typing on the back of a bike in Thailand

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #15,264 of 16,326
A better pic what the pouch looks, it's loose, so when I sit it just hangs there. Pouches with a belt clip are great to walk around with, as long as you remember to take player out before you sit down, or remember to unplug the headphones plug. You'll remember to do it maybe 100 times, but there will be this one time you forget, you sit, the plug puts pressure on output socket, and bye bye

Onkyo w dangle 2.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #15,266 of 16,326
A better pic what the pouch looks, it's loose, so when I sit it just hangs there. Pouches with a belt clip are great to walk around with, as long as you remember to take player out before you sit down, or remember to unplug the headphones plug. You'll remember to do it maybe 100 times, but there will be this one time you forget, you sit, the plug puts pressure on output socket, and bye bye

About the dangle, you mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9HK243/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1 ?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "balanced" means here? Thanks!

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #15,267 of 16,326
About the dangle, you mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9HK243/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1 ?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "balanced" means here? Thanks!

Yes, exactly that, except mine is 2.5mm Balanced male to 2.5mm Balanced female.

Your link is 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female. If your headphones have a 3.5mm plug (all smartphones and daps with regular audio out use the 3.5mm) , then your Amazon link is dangle is what you need. I paid $25 USD on Ebay, free shipping, delivery from Hong Kong took 1 week. Shipping from mainland China by China Post can take over a month, usually longer.

Onkyo DP X1 has 2 headphone out socket, 3.5mm regular audio out, and Balanced out. 3.5mm uses common Ground, Left and Right. Balanced cable does not share the Ground, instead each channel has its own. Onkyo player has 2 DACs and 2 amps, one for each channel, but 2 DACs and amps are used only when Balanced output is used. Balanced output is clearly better sound, is it because both DACs and amps are used, I have no idea. But the diffrence is not subtle, not something that you struggle to hear, or something that you have to imagine to hear, balanced out is clearly, audibly better sound.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #15,268 of 16,326
Yes, exactly that, except mine is 2.5mm Balanced male to 2.5mm Balanced female.

Your link is 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female. If your headphones have a 3.5mm plug (all smartphones and daps with regular audio out use the 3.5mm) , then your Amazon link is dangle is what you need. I paid $25 USD on Ebay, free shipping, delivery from Hong Kong took 1 week. Shipping from mainland China by China Post can take over a month, usually longer.

Onkyo DP X1 has 2 headphone out socket, 3.5mm regular audio out, and Balanced out. 3.5mm uses common Ground, Left and Right. Balanced cable does not share the Ground, instead each channel has its own. Onkyo player has 2 DACs and 2 amps, one for each channel, but 2 DACs and amps are used only when Balanced output is used. Balanced output is clearly better sound, is it because both DACs and amps are used, I have no idea. But the diffrence is not subtle, not something that you struggle to hear, or something that you have to imagine to hear, balanced out is clearly, audibly better sound.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #15,269 of 16,326
Hey, isn't there some concern about using conversion plugs (2.5mm to 3.5mm) that could mess up the Onkyo? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you will get balanced sound out of the 2.5m to 3.5mm conversion adapter.
Others please weight in!!!

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #15,270 of 16,326
Hey, isn't there some concern about using conversion plugs (2.5mm to 3.5mm) that could mess up the Onkyo? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you will get balanced sound out of the 2.5m to 3.5mm conversion adapter.
Others please weight in!!!

I will tell you once I try it. I ordered the DP-X1a today in the morning and just ordered the adapter cable. Thanks specially to whitemouse. This forum has been very helpful!! Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back