ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #14,851 of 16,326
Hello !

I bought a pretty cheap TRRS 4 pole cable to try out the balanced DACs. I connected the Onkyo to balanced Oppo PM3 headphones.

I get a bad hugely phased mono signal in BTL (balanced) mode. But it strangely seems to work in ACG mode...

I made a pink noise alternating from left to right for further testing: my balanced mode seems to mix channels in a weird way.

I wonder if the cable is well connected to all pins inside the jack of the headphones. I strongly doubt there is a problem here.
I also wonder if the cable is not wired in a strange way for cellphones microphones etc. I strongly doubt that too because there are 4 pins on both sides of the cable.

Knowing it seems to work in ACG mode, what else could it be ? Maybe the problem is also present for ACG mode and I only hear its specific ground effect giving me the impression it is working.

As you can see, I still have not understood the true difference between BTL and ACG. Even before hearing it.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #14,852 of 16,326
Again me ! :wink:

Now a software question.
Why does the EQ needs the DSP option ON to work ?

I personally think the sound is far from being transparent with DSP ON. It is not a disaster at all, it still sounds very good. But I get a lack of precision even using the Sharp option.
I have the impression of a large FFT windowing effect smoothing out all the attacks. It sounds like "a car with dead dampers" (joke).
Is seems there are missing overlapped windows or a too long fft step size.

This EQ passing thru these DSP options clearly seems not suitable for super sharp attacks found in computer music... until I cheat with the EQ a little bit and make myself happy.
I would maybe have preferred a simple crossover rather an FFT EQ (if it is one).

Again, I am talking about subtleties and objective impressions. I am not here willing to generalize yet and need to explore the machine further.

Have a nice day !

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #14,854 of 16,326
Formerly proud owner of an Onkyo DP-X1A (still own it, but not so proud). After 6 months the 2.5mm balanced gave up the ghost. The outer ring is loose and the left channel is gone (which is tip and second ring, not the outer ring). The loose outer ring is brand new, but the jack's grip on the plug had been going downhill from the get-go. I made a very conscious effort to leave phones plugged in whenever possible. But took them out a few days ago so I could use them at work. Plugged them back in after work and had no left channel. Pulled them out and saw the outer ring wobble.

Really, really disappointing. They've had plenty of time to fix this problem and still haven't. A 25-cent part brings down the whole unit. Stupid.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14,855 of 16,326
Formerly proud owner of an Onkyo DP-X1A (still own it, but not so proud). After 6 months the 2.5mm balanced gave up the ghost. The outer ring is loose and the left channel is gone (which is tip and second ring, not the outer ring). The loose outer ring is brand new, but the jack's grip on the plug had been going downhill from the get-go. I made a very conscious effort to leave phones plugged in whenever possible. But took them out a few days ago so I could use them at work. Plugged them back in after work and had no left channel. Pulled them out and saw the outer ring wobble.

Really, really disappointing. They've had plenty of time to fix this problem and still haven't. A 25-cent part brings down the whole unit. Stupid.

Not good news. I purposely got the DP-X1a because the DP-X1 had some loose jack issues. If the X1a also has this problem, time to move on...

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #14,857 of 16,326
I am surprised that people is still hanging on into DP-X1 regardless of the potential issue with the jack socket as I pointed out a long time ago. Have Onkyo fixed the issues on x1a yet
I've had my DP-X1 for quite awhile and think its one of the best over all DAPs out there for the price. Im strongly considering the WM1A as well. But I have had my DP-X1 for almost 2 years and have never considered selling it which means a lot as I go through DAPs every couple of months.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #14,859 of 16,326
I've had my DP-X1 for quite awhile and think its one of the best over all DAPs out there for the price. Im strongly considering the WM1A as well. But I have had my DP-X1 for almost 2 years and have never considered selling it which means a lot as I go through DAPs every couple of months.
+1

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #14,860 of 16,326
I really like Sony products but their propensity for proprietary feautures is quite honestly, stupid. Their 4.4mm balanced port option and LDAC Bluetooth codec are prime examples. If they used the regular 2.5mm balanced and aptX HD, I would buy the WMA1 in a heartbeat.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #14,861 of 16,326
I really like Sony products but their propensity for proprietary feautures is quite honestly, stupid. Their 4.4mm balanced port option and LDAC Bluetooth codec are prime examples. If they used the regular 2.5mm balanced and aptX HD, I would buy the WMA1 in a heartbeat.

Some people prefer the sturdier 4.4mm jack, and Sony didn't just do LDAC for the heck of it. Its fidelity is considerably better than aptX HD. LDAC is closer to cd-quality at 990 kbps whereas aptX HD is 576 kbps.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #14,862 of 16,326
Some people prefer the sturdier 4.4mm jack, and Sony didn't just do LDAC for the heck of it. Its fidelity is considerably better than aptX HD. LDAC is closer to cd-quality at 990 kbps whereas aptX HD is 576 kbps.

How many non-Sony products are available with LDAC now? Its been out for how many years now?

Crickets...

Exactly. And the current Sony headphones that use LDAC...? Anybody use or hear it? Exactly.

Also, I've never heard any complaints on the 2.5mm connector; I have numerous 2.5 balanced connectors and they work fine.

No biggie but I have gripes with Sony's failed proprietary approach: betamax, mini-disc, memory stick, DAT, ATRAC, and universal discs come to mind...

Don't get me wrong, some of their products are way ahead of its time and the thought process to create them is astounding. I will not argue that LDAC is great or the 4.5mm connector is solid. It's how they decide to market them that makes me mad.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #14,864 of 16,326
[QUOTE="cj3209, post: 13686729, member: 146130"
No biggie but I have gripes with Sony's failed proprietary approach: betamax, mini-disc, memory stick, DAT, ATRAC, and universal discs come to mind...

Don't get me wrong, some of their products are way ahead of its time and the thought process to create them is astounding. I will not argue that LDAC is great or the 4.5mm connector is solid. It's how they decide to market them that makes me mad.[/QUOTE]

Seems only with mega market share can one use a proprietary approach. Then everyone reverse engineers accessories at reasonable prices and everyone is happy. Otherwise people are pissed off. Sony is almost there with camera gear, but still their proprietary lens mount has limited lens availability (and thus pro adoption). All pros seem to shoot Nikon or Canon.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #14,865 of 16,326
Seems only with mega market share can one use a proprietary approach. Then everyone reverse engineers accessories at reasonable prices and everyone is happy. Otherwise people are pissed off. Sony is almost there with camera gear, but still their proprietary lens mount has limited lens availability (and thus pro adoption). All pros seem to shoot Nikon or Canon.[/QUOTE]

Imagine if Sony made a deal with either Nikon or Canon to use their lens mounts. They both use or have used Sony chips for their digital cameras.

That would be a heluva camera...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back