ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #14,866 of 16,326
No biggie but I have gripes with Sony's failed proprietary approach: betamax, mini-disc, memory stick, DAT, ATRAC, and universal discs come to mind...

Don't get me wrong, some of their products are way ahead of its time and the thought process to create them is astounding. I will not argue that LDAC is great or the 4.5mm connector is solid. It's how they decide to market them that makes me mad.

Seems only with mega market share can one use a proprietary approach. Then everyone reverse engineers accessories at reasonable prices and everyone is happy. Otherwise people are pissed off. Sony is almost there with camera gear, but still their proprietary lens mount has limited lens availability (and thus pro adoption). All pros seem to shoot Nikon or Canon.

The Sony proprietary lens mount is just an updated version of the Minolta system they now own.
Sony bought the SLR division of Konica Minolta in 2006, and thus gained the basis for their Alpha series of cameras. (Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konica_Minolta )
Before that, Sony was already making point-n-shoot cameras.

If you want to shoot low-light 4K video, the newer Sony Alpha cameras are really amazing.
But, you're correct in saying that there are not as many system, or 3rd party, lenses available for the Sony cameras.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #14,867 of 16,326
The Sony proprietary lens mount is just an updated version of the Minolta system they now own.
Sony bought the SLR division of Konica Minolta in 2006, and thus gained the basis for their Alpha series of cameras. (Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konica_Minolta )
Before that, Sony was already making point-n-shoot cameras.

If you want to shoot low-light 4K video, the newer Sony Alpha cameras are really amazing.
But, you're correct in saying that there are not as many system, or 3rd party, lenses available for the Sony cameras.

Oh true! I was a Minolta user. They had some fine cameras. When Sony bought them out, I moved to Nikon system. I made a fair it of money to finance that transition selling off all my Minolta gear. That 5d was a fine fine camera at the time!

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #14,868 of 16,326
Talking about proprietary connections - I'm not sure whether Sony has the patent on the 4.4mm 5-Pole connector, or not - but the connectors are available for others to purchase and use.
It does have the advantage of being stronger than the 2.5mm 4-Pole, and also providing (L+), (L-), (R+), (R-), and (GND) connections.

Getting back on subject - if the DP-X1 had been built with proprietary connectors, I'm not sure I would have bought it.
I'm glad Onkyo used current standard connections, because I really enjoy owning / listening to this DAP.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #14,869 of 16,326
Getting back on subject - if the DP-X1 had been built with proprietary connectors, I'm not sure I would have bought it.
I'm glad Onkyo used current standard connections, because I really enjoy owning / listening to this DAP.

Exactly my point.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #14,870 of 16,326
Just bought a Onkyo DP-X1A on Amazon. I think it's a Japanese model looking at the seller "Happy Best Shop"?

Just wanted to know of any limits for the memory card? Will a 256GB card work or limited to 200GB per slot? And is speed a problem? Does it need class 10 memory …90MB per second?

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #14,872 of 16,326
I think you should look at other headphones such as IEMs which work really well with the DP-X1.

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #14,873 of 16,326
I think you should look at other headphones such as IEMs which work really well with the DP-X1.

Love my Shure SE846. I have tried others and they just don't give me as much joy (sound, fit, and durability), which in the end is what I am after. I have stopped sampling new IEMs.

That said either my balanced cable is failing or the jack is, as I am starting to get drop-out unless I hold my head high (odd, I know). I don't have another balanced cable to test the options... Anyone know of a relatively cheap balanced cable option that I could buy to test whether it is my cable or the jack?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #14,874 of 16,326
Love my Shure SE846. I have tried others and they just don't give me as much joy (sound, fit, and durability), which in the end is what I am after. I have stopped sampling new IEMs.

That said either my balanced cable is failing or the jack is, as I am starting to get drop-out unless I hold my head high (odd, I know). I don't have another balanced cable to test the options... Anyone know of a relatively cheap balanced cable option that I could buy to test whether it is my cable or the jack?
That one option is:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/venture-electronics-headphone-cables
OR more expensive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KF8M1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am using that one with SE535 and DP-X1. So far pretty good

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #14,875 of 16,326
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #14,879 of 16,326
Hi,

I need a mp3 player for my work as fitness trainer and I wonder if this mp3 player with Android can start Cross DJ (Free).

Please, can anyone try this?

Thank you and have a nice day

It works just fine on the Dp-X1.
If you look for something cheaper... all you need is Android 4.1+, 1G RAM and a Display with more than 4"

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #14,880 of 16,326
The new version of hibymusic came out yesterday with a bunch of new features new design layout and most of the bugs ironed also very good for dnla playing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back