ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 10, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #13,996 of 16,326
I know there is a lot of posts and noreally I like reading through the thread... but my dx 90 is giving me troubles lately and I just received the audiofly af 1120 which is the newer 6ba driver iem from them. It is 10ohms I am looking for a player that I can upgrade tof. Would the onkyo dxp1 be a worthwhile investment basickly I'm at a lost I can grab one used for 400 in good condition. I am between this player and the mojo via my Samsung s7 edge. Or maybe even the pioneer xdp100r. I'm at work and I am trying to order one tomorrow. So after work I'll delve past the first part of the thread I read already with hopes with some comparisons. Help is appreciated

So I've had a day of use with my DX-P1 and I like it a lot, but with a few caveats.

DX-P1
For
Good SQ out of the balanced output, AGC mode does make a difference
Can easily power my MrSpeakers Ether C's and Monolith 1060s
Can be rooted and install Viper4Android /w awesome equalizer suite
Detailed sound, separation in balanced mode, taking shots at the Mojo, but doesnt win out.
Convenient spotify/tidal integration and makes for a clean portable setup

Against
Massively hit the noise floor with my Noble K10's out of SE (Might improved if i switch to balanced)
Shorter Battery life than Mojo
Ability to use it as an independent dac for other sources

Mojo
For
Versatility
Better SQ out of SE mode, and i'd argue better than the Onkyo in balanced mode.
Unreachable noise floor
More power to drive demanding cans (Nothing i have needs power more than double yellow on the balls (~40% volume)
Portable use with other sources
Great battery life

Against
No Balanced option
For portable setups you need extra cables (Like with a phone you need extra cables, + battery pack for charging if you intend to be out for a while)
No on board equalizer  (No problem though since your source can drive the EQ)

Verdict,
I like both, for different reasons. I was really bummed to find out about the noise floor issue with the Onkyo when using my K10s, but it drives my other cans very nicely. I love having the ability to use my balanced cables with this player, and the ability to install V4A on it is really nice. The sabre DAC/Amp provides and engaging experience. However one of the reasons I love the mojo is that I can take it anywhere and plug it into everything, Laptop, chromecast audio, TV, BT receiver, Phone, Line mode to dedicated amps, ect. If you can justify it get both, If you dont mind the extra cables and want to have a stacked solution get the Mojo first. However, $350 (The price i paid for the DX-P1) was totally worth it to have a dedicated player powerful enough to drive demanding cans, has a balanced option, no interference due cell antennas (Problem i've had doing a stack with a phone/mojo), huge storage space, a nice volume knob, ability to root and install V4P . . . the list goes on. Also it makes a nice transport for the Mojo. Sorry i coudnt give you a decisive answer, I like both of them very much.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #13,998 of 16,326
So I've had a day of use with my DX-P1 and I like it a lot, but with a few caveats.

DX-P1
For
Good SQ out of the balanced output, AGC mode does make a difference
Can easily power my MrSpeakers Ether C's and Monolith 1060s
Can be rooted and install Viper4Android /w awesome equalizer suite
Detailed sound, separation in balanced mode, taking shots at the Mojo, but doesnt win out.
Convenient spotify/tidal integration and makes for a clean portable setup

Against
Massively hit the noise floor with my Noble K10's out of SE (Might improved if i switch to balanced)
Shorter Battery life than Mojo
Ability to use it as an independent dac for other sources

Mojo
For
Versatility
Better SQ out of SE mode, and i'd argue better than the Onkyo in balanced mode.
Unreachable noise floor
More power to drive demanding cans (Nothing i have needs power more than double yellow on the balls (~40% volume)
Portable use with other sources
Great battery life

Against
No Balanced option
For portable setups you need extra cables (Like with a phone you need extra cables, + battery pack for charging if you intend to be out for a while)
No on board equalizer  (No problem though since your source can drive the EQ)

Verdict,
I like both, for different reasons. I was really bummed to find out about the noise floor issue with the Onkyo when using my K10s, but it drives my other cans very nicely. I love having the ability to use my balanced cables with this player, and the ability to install V4A on it is really nice. The sabre DAC/Amp provides and engaging experience. However one of the reasons I love the mojo is that I can take it anywhere and plug it into everything, Laptop, chromecast audio, TV, BT receiver, Phone, Line mode to dedicated amps, ect. If you can justify it get both, If you dont mind the extra cables and want to have a stacked solution get the Mojo first. However, $350 (The price i paid for the DX-P1) was totally worth it to have a dedicated player powerful enough to drive demanding cans, has a balanced option, no interference due cell antennas (Problem i've had doing a stack with a phone/mojo), huge storage space, a nice volume knob, ability to root and install V4P . . . the list goes on. Also it makes a nice transport for the Mojo. Sorry i coudnt give you a decisive answer, I like both of them very much.

Thanks a lot for all the time you took to write me back with your comparisons. I am still looking into the onkyo player and mojo I was offered really good deal on x5iii plus accessories bundle. I'm hoping b to b try it out this weekend hopefully and if it is not my cup of coffee on to the mojo

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #13,999 of 16,326
Summary of the the key differences between the DP-CMX1 and the DP-X1/X1A. Did I miss anything?

1. 128GB internal storage vs 64/32
  2. Only one Micro-SD card slot (this is the biggest disappointment about the DP-CMX1, IMO)
  3. Supports bluetooth aptX-HD vs just just plain aptX?
  4. Nearly double sized battery
  5. The play/pause/skip buttons look improved to me
  6. Added quick silence notifications slider
  7. Infrared remote for controlling other devices 
  8. Android 6.0
  9. Much higher resolution display
  10. 3gb RAM vs 2gb
  11. 6-core vs 4-core processor, better graphics processor, etc
  12. Quick charge support
  13. GPS and other smartphone sensors
  14. CMX1 is taller, but it's narrower and (crucially) thinner (142.30 x 72.00 x 11.90 mm vs. 129.0 × 75.9 × 12.7 mm)
  15. CMX1 is about 15% heavier (234g vs 203g)

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #14,000 of 16,326
Summary of the the key differences between the DP-CMX1 and the DP-X1/X1A. Did I miss anything?

• 128GB internal storage vs 64/32
  • Only one Micro-SD card slot (this is the biggest disappointment about the DP-CMX1, IMO)
  • Supports bluetooth aptX-HD vs just just plain aptX?
  • Nearly double sized battery
  • The play/pause/skip buttons look improved to me
  • Added quick silence notifications slider
  • Infrared remote for controlling other devices 
  • Android 6.0
  • Much higher resolution display
  • 3gb RAM vs 2gb
  • 6-core vs 4-core processor, better graphics processor, etc
  • Quick charge support
  • GPS and other smartphone sensors
  • CMX1 is taller, but it's narrower and (crucially) thinner (142.30 x 72.00 x 11.90 mm vs. 129.0 × 75.9 × 12.7 mm)
  • CMX1 is about 15% heavier (234g vs 203g)

I would add:
- Dual SIM
- LTE
- Handy 'lock' switch

Basically, the perfect device to stream audio on the go with

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #14,001 of 16,326

• 128GB internal storage vs 64/32
  • Only one Micro-SD card slot (this is the biggest disappointment about the DP-CMX1, IMO)
  • Supports bluetooth aptX-HD vs just just plain aptX?
  • Nearly double sized battery
  • The play/pause/skip buttons look improved to me
  • Added quick silence notifications slider
  • Infrared remote for controlling other devices 
  • Android 6.0
  • Much higher resolution display
  • 3gb RAM vs 2gb
  • 6-core vs 4-core processor, better graphics processor, etc
  • Quick charge support
  • GPS and other smartphone sensors
  • CMX1 is taller, but it's narrower and (crucially) thinner (142.30 x 72.00 x 11.90 mm vs. 129.0 × 75.9 × 12.7 mm)
  • CMX1 is about 15% heavier (234g vs 203g)

Their sound signature are all the same. I think cmx1 is more bassy than dpx1 while dpx1a has more control in sound.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #14,003 of 16,326
Having an issue gettin V4A going on my player, rooted, TWRP, busybox all installed, disabled old muiscFX. I installed the V4A drivers upon first launch, after reboot, under driver status it says 

Driver Version: 2.5.0.4
NEON Enable: No
Enabled: No
Audio Format: unsupported
Processing: No
Sampling rate: 0

Anyone else had this issue and knows how to fix? 

Edit:
------------------------------------------------- Solution ------------------------------------------------
Change SELinux mode from enforcing to permissive then reinstall the V4A drivers:
Download: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

Update:
Here's a good collection of 390 IR samples I found: https://www.mediastaan.com/irs-samples-single-zip/

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #14,004 of 16,326
  Having an issue gettin V4A going on my player, rooted, TWRP, busybox all installed, disabled old muiscFX. I installed the V4A drivers upon first launch, after reboot, under driver status it says 

Driver Version: 2.5.0.4
NEON Enable: No
Enabled: No
Audio Format: unsupported
Processing: No
Sampling rate: 0

Anyone else had this issue and knows how to fix? 

Edit:
------------------------------------------------- Solution ------------------------------------------------
Change SELinux mode from enforcing to permissive then reinstall the V4A drivers:
Download: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

Update:
Here's a good collection of 390 IR samples I found: https://www.mediastaan.com/irs-samples-single-zip/

I need more info

Witch music player are you using?
What type of files are you playing ?
Did you try developer mode InV4A?

also the latest version is 2.5.0.5 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #14,007 of 16,326
Hey all
Thanks for the help to those before. My player is being sent back for repairs due to me dropping it ! Before I got the case Ouch so for now orfering a temporary Xduoo x3

Anyway really hoping someone can help with this.
I have the rather unknown Musicial Fidelity EB33 earbuds and im thinking of getting the EB50 it says they

Driver: 6mm balanced armature

Does this mean they can work with the balanced DP-X1 output or is this silly noob question ? Lol I expect it is.

If so im wondering if anyone can reccomend either in ear or lightweight headphones which with work with The balanced out.
Headphones that wont break the bank ?
Any suggestions really really apreciated as Im a bit lost when it comes to Balanced gear.

Cheers

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #14,008 of 16,326
Hey all
Thanks for the help to those before. My player is being sent back for repairs due to me dropping it ! Before I got the case Ouch so for now orfering a temporary Xduoo x3

Anyway really hoping someone can help with this.
I have the rather unknown Musicial Fidelity EB33 earbuds and im thinking of getting the EB50 it says they

Driver: 6mm balanced armature

Does this mean they can work with the balanced DP-X1 output or is this silly noob question ? Lol I expect it is.

If so im wondering if anyone can reccomend either in ear or lightweight headphones which with work with The balanced out.
Headphones that wont break the bank ?
Any suggestions really really apreciated as Im a bit lost when it comes to Balanced gear.

Cheers

With earphones, the term Balanced Armature actually means the type of transducer being used, rather than the type of cabling used to connect to the source.
This thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/735985/iem-dynamic-vs-balanced-armature - provides some explanation and links to further details.

To use the Balanced output on your source, you best bet is to find earbuds / earphones / headphones which already have the correct 4-Pole (TRRS) plug for your source, or models that have a removable cable, so you can install one that does have the correct wiring & plug.

There are many IEMs (earphones) which have removable cables, but not as many earbuds, or inexpensive headphones.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #14,009 of 16,326
Problem with 5GHz Wi-Fi in North America? Check the Wi-Fi Channel on Your Router!

I have been using my DP-X1 purchased from Japan for about two months and I have been having problem locating to my home 5GHz wifi network. No problem with any other 2.4GHz or 5GHz network, just the one at home and especially the 5GHz one. 

Well. The mystery has been solved and I want to share with you all. I have searched and didn't see people with the same issue posted.

Since my DP-X1 was purchased from Japan directly, the Wi-Fi region is set to Japan. For 2.4GHz, channel 1-11 is used both in Japan and North America. However, for 5GHz, only 4 channels are overlap between Japan and North America (36, 40, 44, 48).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B18.5D

I manually switched the wifi channel on my router to one of the four channel, and my DP-X1 can finally find it. From what I have read, Wifi region cannot be modified unless I root the OS.

I hope this helps those who are wondering the same thing.

Cheers,
Eric

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #14,010 of 16,326
For anyone on the fence for a new DAP, that has good software/UI and can stream tidal, spotify, etc... the Pioneer XDP-100R-K is on sale for 300$ on Amazon just went down from 400$ which was the price for a while from the MSRP of 699$ I believe. So, 100$ off is a pretty solid deal if I am just throwing my 2 cents in, and I know the onkyo has the better or at least more powerful amplifier as well as the balanced out for your earphones, but if you are not using hard to driver IEMs and or using a balanced cable with your headphone or IEM then I think this is a great idea for those still researching into buying. Either way onkyo or pioneer you have two great options for the price point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back