ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 25, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #13,201 of 16,326
​where do you live? DP X1 is showing up as 500 for me on amazon

also, if its an AK120 MK2, just buy it and flip it.. isn't 799 a steal anyway?

and whenever someone tells you "this is better" they should be saying "IMO, this is better"

To be honest, Onkyo not in the same league compared to AK120ii.
I believe those who tried both units with capable iems will agree with me.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #13,202 of 16,326

fezzy I live in Florida, Boca Raton

what I do not like on any full andro dap like dp-x1 is privacy policy. read the small print  in onkyo policy regarding this especially when a mic is involved in   hardware design.

I played with zx2 @ magnolia and the andro GUI is exactly the same as dp-x1.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #13,207 of 16,326
To be honest, Onkyo not in the same league compared to AK120ii.
I believe those who tried both units with capable iems will agree with me.

​I totally believe you, and that's still your opinion.

@DrkHz, did you like the UI? also if the mic will make you paranoid then you can block it.

also to update, I've been playing music on the X1A and so far the battery issue appears to be resolved. I disabled all the useless google apps, and turned off push noifications, which appeared to help out a lot.

Haven't A/B tested between tidal and default player yet, but very impressed with the quality so far, it's driven my HD6XX well, and my TH-X00's sound great!

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #13,208 of 16,326
​I totally believe you, and that's still your opinion.

@DrkHz
, did you like the UI? also if the mic will make you paranoid then you can block it.

also to update, I've been playing music on the X1A and so far the battery issue appears to be resolved. I disabled all the useless google apps, and turned off push noifications, which appeared to help out a lot.

Haven't A/B tested between tidal and default player yet, but very impressed with the quality so far, it's driven my HD6XX well, and my TH-X00's sound great!

Do you keep it in Airplane mode? I do all the time and this helps.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #13,209 of 16,326
Just got the X1A! It took forever to startup... but WOW coming from the fiio x7, I have to immediately say it looks and feels much better. Also, the screen is beautiful. Updating firmware now, then I'll download Spotify and tidal, and compare to a few flac files I have.

edit: welp, the battery went from 20% to 0% in about half of a song.. gonna have to recharge it to make sure there isn't a battery issue.

The interface is very smooth, but for some reason neutron won't allow me to change the volume while in its app.

Neutron volume is known issue.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #13,210 of 16,326
Actually it is fun to know that a dpx1 user did a month long compare with Sony D1 (a long term king) equipped with pef23 upgrade cable + fitear mh335wd iem.

The result: on vocal/pop/electric music the dpx1 win outright.

On older songs (vocal from LP) the Sony D1 wins.

So I say. Believe in what you hear and never mind too much about other ears. To my ear the only dap that come close to dpx1 is the Sony wm1a.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #13,212 of 16,326
Do you keep it in Airplane mode? I do all the time and this helps.

​I didn't this time, but only so that I could make sure the battery wasn't actually defective.

Ok so I attempted to try and differentiate the difference between tidal and the dedicated media app....

I could barely tell the difference, if anything, I would say the onkyo music player has a bit more clarity and separation, but the difference was not too noticeable. If I had a friend blind-test me, I'm not very sure if I could differentiate.

I also listened to my songs using Neutron vs Onkyo player, and I seriously could not tell a difference between the two.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #13,213 of 16,326

​I didn't this time, but only so that I could make sure the battery wasn't actually defective.

Ok so I attempted to try and differentiate the difference between tidal and the dedicated media app....

I could barely tell the difference, if anything, I would say the onkyo music player has a bit more clarity and separation, but the difference was not too noticeable. If I had a friend blind-test me, I'm not very sure if I could differentiate.

I also listened to my songs using Neutron vs Onkyo player, and I seriously could not tell a difference between the two.

Three days ago, in this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13110#post_13195157 - I described comparing the USB Audio Player Pro and the Onkyo Music Player.  I couldn't hear any difference.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #13,214 of 16,326

Three days ago, in this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13110#post_13195157 - I described comparing the USB Audio Player Pro and the Onkyo Music Player.  I couldn't hear any difference.

Take Care,
David Baldock

​yeah, that kinda set my worries aside about the "dual dac issue". the quality coming from both apps were incredibly similar, if not the same.

edit: played music off of the onkyo player from 7:11 to 8:11, the battery life went from 52% to 47%, i had everything disabled, including wifi. :D 
I is happy.

time to look for a cheap case for this thing...

Listening to some soundgarden on my HD6XX right now, it's sounds wonderful. This is the best implementation of an android dap I've come across yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back