ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #13,216 of 16,326
  ONKYO officially announced their new Hi-Res smartphone DP-CMX1 "GRANBEAT" will go on sale end of February in Japan.
The price is supposed to be around 84,800JPY.

About the same price (in US$), as the LG V20 - which is supposed to have fairly high performance audio circuits.

Will the Onkyo smartphone be Android 7 based?

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #13,219 of 16,326

No, it's 6.0 Marshmallow based.

That's good, as far as possibly rooting it, and installing Xposed Framework...  
wink_face.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #13,223 of 16,326
Does AFT work through the USB cable interface to your Mac, or via the WiFi connection?

I know that my USB 3.0 connected Card Reader can transfer files a lot faster than a USB 2.0 connected device, and both are generally faster than WiFi (except WiFi AC may be faster than USB 2.0).

Take Care,

David Baldock

Sorry about the delay. Unwell briefly. I have only connected via USB. Never via wifi. I have a massive number of songs. My iMac invariably hangs and AFT quits when I transfer large volumes. I have learned to do it in smaller parcels.
Regards

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #13,224 of 16,326
To be honest, Onkyo not in the same league compared to AK120ii.
I believe those who tried both units with capable iems will agree with me.

I compared DP-X1 to AK 200 but was not impressed with the AK200. DP-X1 sounded way more detailed and on top of that the interface of the DP-X1 was waaaaaay nicer to use than the AK interface. Also, the DP-X1 had a better screen, better screen size and -of course- gives the flexibility to install any (Android) app you want where the AK is very limited. Additionally, the DP-X1 has a much nicer pricetag than the AK200, so it was an easy pick for me.

So I'm on the other end of the spectrum! DP-X1 sounds great (especially with hi-res files), looks great, is flexible and totally worth every penny I paid for it.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #13,225 of 16,326
Mm..use both DPX1 and AK players. UI of AK is way superior to DPX1, which is just plain Android with some music apps whereas AK interface is far more intuitive and polished. It is customized DAP interface vs. an afterthought. No DAP interface comes close to A&K, not Onkyo, Sony, Fiio, Cayin or Hifiman (I have those as well). About the only criticism I have is the home button of the AK 380 cu. It does not work well for a capacitive touch button (it may as well be resistive touch, which I hate).

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #13,226 of 16,326
Mm..use both DPX1 and AK players. UI of AK is way superior to DPX1, which is just plain Android with some music apps whereas AK interface is far more intuitive and polished. It is customized DAP interface vs. an afterthought. No DAP interface comes close to A&K, not Onkyo, Sony, Fiio, Cayin or Hifiman (I have those as well). About the only criticism I have is the home button of the AK 380 cu. It does not work well for a capacitive touch button (it may as well be resistive touch, which I hate).

I agree the AK players have a very intuitive, simple and streamlined UI but that does not necessarily make DP-X1's UI inferior. Given the funtionality DP-X1 offers over AK players, the UI is as good as it gets.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #13,227 of 16,326

I guess that is where personal taste and background / previous experience comes in. I found the AK interface to be very limited in functionality and not intuitive at all. Perhaps that is because I got used to "the Android way of doing things" (all my phones, tablets, STBs, TVs etc are Android based devices).

You are right when it comes to the own interface vs afterthought. Android is a base platform, which has been transformed to suit the needs for a DAP. The AK OS (and interface) has been built for the purpose of being a DAP from the ground up. in spite of that, I find the Onkyo interface quite pleasant, full of functionality and nice to look at. The AK interface is just plain, uninteresting and not very intuitive, but that's just my opinion.

most omportant is to check them both out and see for yourself / listen to both and hear which one you prefer. No other person can tell you what you will like; this is something only you can decide for yourself. That's why there is not one single best DAP. It's the balance of all factors that make one specific device the best option for one person.

Just my 2 cents ;-p

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #13,228 of 16,326
Initial review of dp-cmx1 2.5 balanced performance on Sony xba-z5 iem beats the ak300.

Google Translate :

"Switching to the balanced connection, the dynamic dynamism of the piano coats. Compared to the sound of the thick AK 300, the DP-CMX 1 feels sharper and sharper with sharpness. The distance feeling of musical instruments becomes clear, and the reality of timbre is more prominent. In the vocal song, the real feeling of the singer comes closer a while ago.

Needless to say, such experiences could not be experienced with existing high res responding smartphones. Switching to the ACG drive mode also brings in a sense of volume in the mid-low range close to AK 300. The balance of each band on the auditory sense was consistently very natural regardless of which listening mode was chosen. "

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #13,229 of 16,326

​it totally depends on what you want. If its just a straight dap, then absolutely.

My x1a is a jack of all trades, that's why I bought it. I love the size and display, I'm actually happy its bigger. Now when I travel i'll be able to watch a good anime on it as well as listen to my favorite music!

But this just all goes back to my point, this is all opinion based

Users who are viewing this thread

Back