ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 27, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #13,247 of 16,328

​i have an hd6xx with a 4pin xlr termination

My understanding is that you would need a Balanced cable, specified as such. The stock cable would not do.

Then on one side you would need a male 2.5 mm connector for the Onkyo, and the 4 pin XLR termination on the 'phones side. I don't know if an adapter would work.

I may be completely wrong with this.

I struggled with finding an inexpensive balanced cable for Onkyo and my HiFiMan HE-400i headphones, until I found one. Having said this, the HIfiman's have a TRRS 2.5 mm connectors, not XLR. So my cable would not work for you.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #13,248 of 16,328
  My understanding is that you would need a Balanced cable, specified as such. The stock cable would not do.

Then on one side you would need a male 2.5 mm connector for the Onkyo, and the 4 pin XLR termination on the 'phones side. I don't know if an adapter would work.

I may be completely wrong with this.

I struggled with finding an inexpensive balanced cable for Onkyo and my HiFiMan HE-400i headphones, until I found one. Having said this, the HIfiman's have a TRRS 2.5 mm connectors, not XLR. So my cable would not work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Balanced-to-4-Pin-XLR-Balanced-Female-Headphone-TRRS-Audio-Adapter-/121499500215

I think this might work? Not sure though

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #13,251 of 16,328
so out of curiosity I called Onkyo USA customer support, and I was told the X1A is same as the X1. Items with an "A" at the end of them usually mean they are not sold in the US or Canada. I told him that made half sense to me, as that would explain why we haven't seen it come to the USA yet, but it wouldn't explain why japan sells both models..

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #13,252 of 16,328
  so out of curiosity I called Onkyo USA customer support, and I was told the X1A is same as the X1. Items with an "A" at the end of them usually mean they are not sold in the US or Canada. I told him that made half sense to me, as that would explain why we haven't seen it come to the USA yet, but it wouldn't explain why japan sells both models..

Why did they only improve on the Japanese version and leave the rest of the world with what was already out?  I have talked to Onkyo USA a few times and they did not seem to tell me consistent information.  Different people there have told me different things and most did not really know, but just through out unverifiable information that has been somewhat proven the opposite on this thread.  So I do not personally believe anything Onkyo USA says personally.  Not trying to start an argument just saying I don't believe most of what Onkyo USA says.  What Onkyo USA said does not really make sense to me given the previous posts about this topic here.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #13,253 of 16,328
Since I was curious about the Dual DAC / Dual Amp design of the DP-X1, I recently posted a couple of questions on the Onkyo USA Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/OnkyoUSA/posts/10155743980304689?comment_id=10155754772164689

Here are the questions, and replies -
~~~
David Baldock - I've got a technical question about a portable audio device.
In the Onkyo DP-X1 and DP-X1A, are the dual DACs and Dual Amplifier strings used when driving earphones from the Single-ended (3.5mm TRS) output? And, when driving earphones from the Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) output, are the dual DACs and Dual Amplifier strings used, when playing music with apps other than Onkyo Play Music? Thanks!

Onkyo USA - Hello David, when using the Onkyo Music APP both amplifiers and DAC's will be active when using the 2.5 or 3.5 output. We are not sure since we have not tested every third party APP but so far only one DAC is active. Thank you, CB

David Baldock - Thanks for the reply!

When I saw this on the product page -

"The DP-X1 has two amps and two digital/analog convertors which allow for extreme power and signal control. The double ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DACs and double ESS Sabre 9601K amps make balanced output possible via 2.5 mm output."

- I envisioned that one DAC & Amplifier would be for the Left Audio channel, and the other DAC & Amplifier would be for the Right Audio channel.

I know I'm hearing stereo audio when listening to third party Apps. So, as an Electronics Technician, I'm curious about this --- Are both DACs actually operating as Stereo devices, so that either one can send Left & Right Audio to the Dual Amplifiers? Thanks again!

Onkyo USA - Hi David, Both channels go through both amplifiers and DAC's. It is not left to one and right to the other. Thank you, CB
~~~

Their reply leads me to believe that it's probably necessary for Apps to be specifically written to take advantage of the Dual architecture.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #13,254 of 16,328
  Since I was curious about the Dual DAC / Dual Amp design of the DP-X1, I recently posted a couple of questions on the Onkyo USA Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/OnkyoUSA/posts/10155743980304689?comment_id=10155754772164689

Here are the questions, and replies -
~~~
David Baldock - I've got a technical question about a portable audio device.
In the Onkyo DP-X1 and DP-X1A, are the dual DACs and Dual Amplifier strings used when driving earphones from the Single-ended (3.5mm TRS) output? And, when driving earphones from the Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) output, are the dual DACs and Dual Amplifier strings used, when playing music with apps other than Onkyo Play Music? Thanks!

Onkyo USA - Hello David, when using the Onkyo Music APP both amplifiers and DAC's will be active when using the 2.5 or 3.5 output. We are not sure since we have not tested every third party APP but so far only one DAC is active. Thank you, CB

David Baldock - Thanks for the reply!

When I saw this on the product page -

"The DP-X1 has two amps and two digital/analog convertors which allow for extreme power and signal control. The double ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DACs and double ESS Sabre 9601K amps make balanced output possible via 2.5 mm output."

- I envisioned that one DAC & Amplifier would be for the Left Audio channel, and the other DAC & Amplifier would be for the Right Audio channel.

I know I'm hearing stereo audio when listening to third party Apps. So, as an Electronics Technician, I'm curious about this --- Are both DACs actually operating as Stereo devices, so that either one can send Left & Right Audio to the Dual Amplifiers? Thanks again!

Onkyo USA - Hi David, Both channels go through both amplifiers and DAC's. It is not left to one and right to the other. Thank you, CB
~~~

Their reply leads me to believe that it's probably necessary for Apps to be specifically written to take advantage of the Dual architecture.

Take Care,
David Baldock

​Which is pretty odd considering fiio is advertising their X5iii as a device that will have dual DACs functioning even in 3rd party apps. Perhaps they encoded it in the android architecture.

Either way, I can't tell the difference, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #13,255 of 16,328
​Which is pretty odd considering fiio is advertising their X5iii as a device that will have dual DACs functioning even in 3rd party apps. Perhaps they encoded it in the android architecture.

Either way, I can't tell the difference, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

It would be great if we could get a definitive answer to this question. A trawl through this forum on "are dual dacs/amps used by 3rd party apps" or similar yields many and varied answers. I'm not an audio engineer so I can't answer as to why there is so much confusion.

I am currently trying out neutron - great interface and features. I have tried a lot of A/B comparisons with the Onkyo player and I can't tell the difference. (SE and balanced). Kraftwerks autobahn with neutron electronic music EQ may even sound better:blush:

Maybe I should be worried about the functionality of my ears also?

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #13,256 of 16,328
It would be great if we could get a definitive answer to this question. A trawl through this forum on "are dual dacs/amps used by 3rd party apps" or similar yields many and varied answers. I'm not an audio engineer so I can't answer as to why there is so much confusion.

I am currently trying out neutron - great interface and features. I have tried a lot of A/B comparisons with the Onkyo player and I can't tell the difference. (SE and balanced). Kraftwerks autobahn with neutron electronic music EQ may even sound better:blush:

Maybe I should be worried about the functionality of my ears also?

That is tough question for daily service person to answer.
It can only be answered by design engineers.
But, both channel go through both dac and then joint back or separate to lef and right, that is kind of odd.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #13,257 of 16,328
Something is not right in Onkyo answer. I have both 2.5 and 3.5 and the output (volume) is more than twice on 2.5. Same song I'm listening around 100 volume on 3.5 I have to lower to 47 on 2.5. That makes me believe only 1 amp is active on 3.5

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #13,258 of 16,328
I do not believe anything Onkyo USA says.  If you have a question email Onkyo corporate directly.  The USA department just says random information like diarrhea of the mouth. Sorry to be so rude, but I have called and emailed them many times and been told everything under the sun that is inaccurate.  After each conversation with USA I would email corporate and they would say what USA said was completely incorrect.  I do not deal with USA anymore.  I only email Onkyo corporate.  It seems to be a matter of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.  I have gotten a lot of incorrect information from the USA office.  I have gotten enough information from Onkyo USA that was incorrect that I just ask Head-Fi and Onkyo Japan when I have a question now.  I have no problem with Onkyo as a whole and I will purchase a DPX1/A at some point this year.  Maybe I just caught them on a few bad days.  It is just frustrating.  I will deal with Onkyo USA if I need to get my future DPX1/A repaired or replaced under warranty.  I just learned not to ask them for product feature or technical support.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #13,259 of 16,328

The same. They mean dpx1 has eight capacitors like the dpx1a. But not the same is that dpx1a capacitors are 3 times larger.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #13,260 of 16,328
The same. They mean dpx1 has eight capacitors like the dpx1a. But not the same is that dpx1a capacitors are 3 times larger.

That is why I never ask Onkyo USA.  They give either only part of the story or a whole other story that is flat out easily proven false on Head-Fi and if you ask Onkyo Japan.

Okay.  I am letting it go now.  I don't need the mods on me.

Cheers

Riley

Corrected typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back