ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 23, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #13,141 of 16,326

Okay.  Greatly appreciated.  That is very reassuring.  I don't remember who on here said this, but they told me that the A gets close to 20 hours of battery life.  That is pretty impressive.  I am coming from an original X5 by Fiio.  It is just kind of dated with the scroll wheel and slow UI.  I also find the way it sorts songs is not helpful for me.  They are sorted by file name on the original only according to Fiio when I asked them.  Does the DPX1 sort songs by file name or track name?  How is the UI is it smooth and fairly quick and simple with few minor bugs?

The DP-X1 sorts files and folders any way you want it to. You can simply browse the folder structures, or go through you library based on tags (artist, genre, album, etc).

I find the UI quite pleasant and smooth and it works without issues. There are two things I find annoying, however:
1. Setting volume responds quickly, but the volume indication on the screen seems to lag. Set the volume and the effect is directly audible, but the indicator ion the screen seems to respond slowly. I got used to sliding the volume slider on the screen, since this seems to get a quicker response

2. Starting a song, stopping a song or skipping a song is done with a very short fade in / fade out, which creates a feel of slowness. Mind you, response is very quick and does not lag in any way, but because of the fade and fade out, it does feel slower than it actually is. Still looking for a way to disable this.

All in all nothing to worry about and I am very happy with the device. The look and feel really appeal to me and the sound quality is really outstanding when combined with my IEMs (NOCS NS800). Would buy it again in a heartbeat if I ever had to.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #13,146 of 16,326

The DP-X1 sorts files and folders any way you want it to. You can simply browse the folder structures, or go through you library based on tags (artist, genre, album, etc).

I find the UI quite pleasant and smooth and it works without issues. There are two things I find annoying, however:
1. Setting volume responds quickly, but the volume indication on the screen seems to lag. Set the volume and the effect is directly audible, but the indicator ion the screen seems to respond slowly. I got used to sliding the volume slider on the screen, since this seems to get a quicker response

2. Starting a song, stopping a song or skipping a song is done with a very short fade in / fade out, which creates a feel of slowness. Mind you, response is very quick and does not lag in any way, but because of the fade and fade out, it does feel slower than it actually is. Still looking for a way to disable this.

All in all nothing to worry about and I am very happy with the device. The look and feel really appeal to me and the sound quality is really outstanding when combined with my IEMs (NOCS NS800). Would buy it again in a heartbeat if I ever had to.

That is great.  Say I am looking at songs on the DPX1 under artist and then album.  Are the songs displayed by filename or track title?

Thank you

Riley

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #13,147 of 16,326
  Please, can someone tell me which actual difference between ONKYO DP-X1 and ONKYO DP-X1a? Thinking about purchase ONKYO DP-X1a or pioneer 300.

The DP-X1A has 64GB vs 32GB in the DP-X1.
They've also apparently upgraded some internal components, like capacitors - which may allow slightly higher sustained output levels (for harder to drive headphones).

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #13,148 of 16,326

That is great.  Say I am looking at songs on the DPX1 under artist and then album.  Are the songs displayed by filename or track title?

Thank you

Riley

If you are looking at tags, then you see the tag information being displayed. I you browse folders, then of course the file names are displayed.

So, basically you have the option to browse by:
- Genre / Artist / Album / Song (tags)
- Artist / Album / Song (tags)
- Album / Song (tags)
- Folder / Folderstructure (filenames)

Hope this clears things up for you ;-p

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #13,149 of 16,326

If you are looking at tags, then you see the tag information being displayed. I you browse folders, then of course the file names are displayed.

So, basically you have the option to browse by:
- Genre / Artist / Album / Song (tags)
- Artist / Album / Song (tags)
- Album / Song (tags)
- Folder / Folderstructure (filenames)

Hope this clears things up for you ;-p

Yes that does clear things up.  I would rather not browse by folder if I can view by track title under artist.  My original X5 uses filenames for category view so I always use folder view for the track names.  Plus that is the only way my playlists can be used as well.  Can M3U8 playlists be easily transferred to the DPX1 and easily scanned into wherever playlists go in the dap itself?  If I put the playlists as well as all of my songs on micro sd cards?

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #13,150 of 16,326

Yes that does clear things up.  I would rather not browse by folder if I can view by track title under artist.  My original X5 uses filenames for category view so I always use folder view for the track names.  Plus that is the only way my playlists can be used as well.  Can M3U8 playlists be easily transferred to the DPX1 and easily scanned into wherever playlists go in the dap itself?  If I put the playlists as well as all of my songs on micro sd cards?

It is possible to view all songs for an artist. Just look up and select the artist you want and then click "All Songs". That will display all songs for the artist you selected (tag based).

Don't know about the playlist stuff though, I don't really use playlists so perhaps someone else can give you useful info on this.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #13,151 of 16,326
  It is possible to view all songs for an artis. Just look up and select the artis you want and then click "All Songs". That will display all songs for the artist you selected (tag based).

Don't know about the playlist stuff though, I don't really use playlists so perhaps someone else can give you useful info on this.

Okay.  Thank you for your help.  I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Riiey

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #13,152 of 16,326
Hi there. Just bought DP-X1 for use with HiFiMan HE-400i headphones. Naturally, I want to take advantage of the dual amps and DACs (one of the reasons I bought them). A couple of questions:

1 - Has anybody experienced improved performance by using the Onkyo's "Balanced" output?

2 - Any place I can buy balanced cables for headphones that don't cost an arm and a leg? The only places I found are over $100.

And yes, my headphones come "balanced-ready". Just a new cable is needed as the stock one that comes with the headphones are not balanced. The connectors on the headphones are the 2.5 mm female ones, easily removable.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #13,153 of 16,326
  Hi there. Just bought DP-X1 for use with HiFiMan HE-400i headphones. Naturally, I want to take advantage of the dual amps and DACs (one of the reasons I bought them). A couple of questions:

1 - Has anybody experienced improved performance by using the Onkyo's "Balanced" output?

2 - Any place I can buy balanced cables for headphones that don't cost an arm and a leg? The only places I found are over $100.

And yes, my headphones come "balanced-ready". Just a new cable is needed as the stock one that comes with the headphones are not balanced. The connectors on the headphones are the 2.5 mm female ones, easily removable.

Thanks!

I am actually quite eager to hear your experience with the HifiMan 400i combined with the DP-X1. I heard the combo and found them to be quite flat and powerless. Seems the 400i drwa too much power from the DP-X1 to get them going. The DP-X1 brought no soundstage and was unable to make the 400i's sing. I also heart the 560 on the DP-X1 but that was the same story all over again.

Other headphones sounded much more musical, and especially IEMs (easier to drive) are a huge pleasure to listen to with the DP-X1, but the 400 and 560 not so much. I only heard them single ended, so I have not heard them balanced. Hope that makes a difference.

Absolutely don't mean to bash the 400i's, but what is your experience with the DP-X1 and the 400i's so far?

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #13,154 of 16,326
I am actually quite eager to hear your experience with the HifiMan 400i combined with the DP-X1. I heard the combo and found them to be quite flat and powerless. Seems the 400i drwa too much power from the DP-X1 to get them going. The DP-X1 brought no soundstage and was unable to make the 400i's sing. I also heart the 560 on the DP-X1 but that was the same story all over again.

Other headphones sounded much more musical, and especially IEMs (easier to drive) are a huge pleasure to listen to with the DP-X1, but the 400 and 560 not so much. I only heard them single ended, so I have not heard them balanced. Hope that makes a difference.

Absolutely don't mean to bash the 400i's, but what is your experience with the DP-X1 and the 400i's so far?

I've paired my dp-X1 with 400s's. much easier to drive and sound great SE or balanced

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #13,155 of 16,326
I've paired my dp-X1 with 400s's. much easier to drive and sound great SE or balanced

So do you hear any differences in quality between SE vs. Balanced, since you have heard them both ways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back