ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #13,156 of 16,326
I am actually quite eager to hear your experience with the HifiMan 400i combined with the DP-X1. I heard the combo and found them to be quite flat and powerless. Seems the 400i drwa too much power from the DP-X1 to get them going. The DP-X1 brought no soundstage and was unable to make the 400i's sing. I also heart the 560 on the DP-X1 but that was the same story all over again.

Other headphones sounded much more musical, and especially IEMs (easier to drive) are a huge pleasure to listen to with the DP-X1, but the 400 and 560 not so much. I only heard them single ended, so I have not heard them balanced. Hope that makes a difference.

Absolutely don't mean to bash the 400i's, but what is your experience with the DP-X1 and the 400i's so far?

The fact that I am here asking people about Balanced shows that there is something missing. I can't quite explain, but I was expecting more. Don't know if it is my 400i's or the DP-X1. Having said this, I would need more time to evaluate. I have had the combo only for a few days.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #13,157 of 16,326
The fact that I am here asking people about Balanced shows that there is something missing. I can't quite explain, but I was expecting more. Don't know if it is my 400i's or the DP-X1. Having said this, I would need more time to evaluate. I have had the combo only for a few days.

Do you have it on high gain when using SE? Ive only used my PM3s in balanced with the DP-X1.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #13,158 of 16,326
Do you have it on high gain when using SE? Ive only used my PM3s in balanced with the DP-X1.

Admittedly, I have no idea how to do that? Can you please show me?

Just got the DP-X1 this Saturday.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #13,162 of 16,326
[ATTACHMENT=4027]IMG_0154.JPG (1,520k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]Maybe on the main Settings? See pic.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #13,164 of 16,326
Wrong one go to setting the gear on main page then sound and notification then gain.

Oops. You beat me to it.

Thanks!

Definitely louder now. I will have to listen a bit more.

Any other settings that I should pay particular attention to?

Also, where did you buy the Balanced cable? I am having a hard time finding one that is not ridiculously expensive.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #13,165 of 16,326
Oops. You beat me to it.

Thanks!

Definitely louder now. I will have to listen a bit more.

Any other settings that I should pay particular attention to?

Also, where did you buy the Balanced cable? I am having a hard time finding one that is not ridiculously expensive.

Balanced + ACG is where its at with the Onkyo imo.

Also, you may want to play with the filter settings. It can go from warm natural (slow) to detailed and slightly harsh/unnatural (sharp) .

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #13,166 of 16,326
To be honest I don't. Louder certainly. May be my 70 year old ears but SQ SE vs balanced in portables is a controversial topic. Just search the forums.

Thanks! Yes indeed. Very controversial. I have read quite a bit. I guess the only way to know is buy a Balanced cable and try it for myself.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #13,167 of 16,326
Not sure. You can contact Forza Audio to see what he can do. I have two cables from him. I wonder if your cable is wired balanced, if so all you would need is a 3.5 to 2.5 balanced connector which are Amazon. Your cable would have to be wired that way or you will ruin the Onkyo. Check the 400i thread. I had the 400i a few years ago but dont recall if it was.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #13,168 of 16,326
Does the DPX1A have much hiss on any mode from slow to fast?  I am looking for a dap with minimal hiss and I like the fact that I can change the sound on the fly  It is a nice bonus.  How is the hiss compared to an original FIio X5?  Does the sound change significantly from slow to fast modes?  Or does it give you a different flavor of the same basic sound signature?

Thank you

Riley

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #13,170 of 16,326
Okay.  Is the battery drainage problem solved on the A version?  That is my biggest concern.  I think, but could be wrong that I have seen a lot of posts saying the original and the A both lack power to drive headphones and even some iems.  That is my other main concern.

Thanks

Riley

Ive had 2 different DP-X1s and no issues with battery 12 hours plus playing Tidal hifi. I have PM3 and M100 and they are fine with it but does sound better with my Mojo.

I've never had any battery issues on my DP-X1 either.

I'll note that this Riley person posts incessantly about the minutiae, which has been discussed ad-nauseam. I suggests he just bite the bullet....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back