ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 21, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #13,111 of 16,326
@addyg:
You're right. The DP-X1A sounds like Jack of all trades in terms of functionality. The sound, while artificial to some degree (once you compare with the best DAPs/DACs), is unparalleled - and I just couldn't find anything as portable and universal that would sound this good. If I was mostly commuting again in any big city like Tokyo and could not afford the WM1A (or wanted to play Tidal files offline), I'd get the DP-X1A again in a heartbeat. Who wants to hook up Mojo to their phone on the train (and be asked what is that weird 3 button colorful game all the time)? :)

@Bengkia369
@antz123 :
I heard the AK240 and Opus #1 before buying the DP-X1A. Not sure what the Opus #1 hype is all about - as its bass just sucks (Onkyo goes lower and is better defined) and vocals have a weird texture, even compared to DP-X1A.

Now AK240 does sound pretty good, true, but the WM1A/Z still smokes it (in terms of resolution and overall realism). It was a good product years ago - something that had other manufacturers play the catch-up game - but I would dare to claim that even DP-X1A is more HiRes on some recordings than AK240. Yeah, the music flows on AK240 - but perhaps flows too much, that some fine details are forever lost. Some might ask - who cares about fine details when enjoying music - but I do. :) The DP-X1A revealed so many details in my music that it's hard to go back to anything less resolving. I just demand full HiRes sound from now on. (thanks DP-X1A:)

So to me currently there are only 2 serious mobile contenders (1 unit) on the market: The DP-X1A and NW-WM1A/Z. Everything else I heard had flaws in SQ that were impossible to ignore.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #13,112 of 16,326
@addyg
:
You're right. The DP-X1A sounds like Jack of all trades in terms of functionality. The sound, while artificial to some degree (once you compare with the best DAPs/DACs), is unparalleled - and I just couldn't find anything as portable and universal that would sound this good. If I was mostly commuting again in any big city like Tokyo and could not afford the WM1A (or wanted to play Tidal files offline), I'd get the DP-X1A again in a heartbeat. Who wants to hook up Mojo to their phone on the train (and be asked what is that weird 3 button colorful game all the time)? :)

@Bengkia369

@antz123
:
I heard the AK240 and Opus #1 before buying the DP-X1A. Not sure what the Opus #1 hype is all about - as its bass just sucks (Onkyo goes lower and is better defined) and vocals have a weird texture, even compared to DP-X1A.

Now AK240 does sound pretty good, true, but the WM1A/Z still smokes it (in terms of resolution and overall realism). It was a good product years ago - something that had other manufacturers play the catch-up game - but I would dare to claim that even DP-X1A is more HiRes on some recordings than AK240. Yeah, the music flows on AK240 - but perhaps flows too much, that some fine details are forever lost. Some might ask - who cares about fine details when enjoying music - but I do. :) The DP-X1A revealed so many details in my music that it's hard to go back to anything less resolving. I just demand full HiRes sound from now on. (thanks DP-X1A:)

So to me currently there are only 2 serious mobile contenders (1 unit) on the market: The DP-X1A and NW-WM1A/Z. Everything else I heard had flaws in SQ that were impossible to ignore.

I agree. I listen to several other DAPs for test, and if anything can beat dp-x1a right now, it is only Sony wm1a/z.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #13,114 of 16,326
Is the dpx1a supports lrc?

I don't know whether the standard Onkyo Music Player app supports lrc files, or not.
But the DP-X1 is an Android 5.1.1 device, so you can download and use most any media player app that you prefer.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #13,117 of 16,326
New DP-X1 owner here. Having fun listening to this device which is replacing heavy block of separates that I've been carrying for several years. I've actually been using the Onkyo app for most of that time to stream DSD to my AlgoRythmn Solo DAC and Duet amp, which works very well except for the limited storage on my iPod and the difficulty transferring files via iTunes. I even figured out how to reverse tether my DP-X1 to my Mac at work to stream Tidal over our internal network.

My only frustration is with DSD. One of the reasons I bought the DP-X1 is that was advertised to support almost all file formats including DSD x 4, MQA, and DXD. However, when I play a DSD file, it gets converted to PCM. In scouring this forum, it seems there is a limitation with Android. I was wondering if there is any update from Onkyo on a fix for this? I know I can stream to an outboard DAC but the reason I bought a DAP was to eliminate the hassle of having to carry, charge, and maintain two devices. I have a Mojo that I can clearly do that with but would prefer it to be native out of the DAP. I have quite a few DSD albums, so this is a big issue for me. Is there any hope on the horizon from Onkyo?

Chord is coming out with a little add-on that will store and play music from SD cards, so if that happens, maybe I won't need the Onkyo any more.

Echo that, would love it more if it would play DSD natively! Anyone knows if technically it would be possible to play native DSD through FW or even OS upgrade?

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #13,120 of 16,326
But ive read here that if we use 3rd party music app it will affect the sample rate? ...am I right? :grinning:

OK - I've been looping on various HD audio tracks of the Chesky - Ultimate Headphone Demonstration disc (24-Bit, 192-KHz), using both the "stock" Onkyo Music Player, and the USB Audio Player Pro apps (No EQ being used).  Both apps indicate that the files are, indeed, 24-Bit & 192-KHz, however UAPP shows Andriod: 96-KHz when the Android Sample Rate is set to Variable.  Even with the apparent sample rate difference, I'm just not hearing any audible differences - listening to my LZ A4 earphones (Black backs, Blue Nozzles), on a custom Impact Audio Cables balanced 2.5mm TRRS to MMCX cable, and the DP-X1 set to Balanced & AGC.

Others may be able to hear a difference, but I guess for my 56-year old ears - either the Onkyo Music Player, or UAPP, will work just fine - even for HD audio tracks.  
ksc75smile.gif

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #13,124 of 16,326
So how do you download and install the latest firmware (version 0.1.37.8)? I see the update has been out since the 1st of Dec., but the download link is no where to be found on the DP-X1's support page. What the heck is Onkyo doing?

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #13,125 of 16,326
  So how do you download and install the latest firmware (version 0.1.37.8)? I see the update has been out since the 1st of Dec., but the download link is no where to be found on the DP-X1's support page. What the heck is Onkyo doing?

On the DP-X1, go to Settings > Device Information > System Updates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back