ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #12,271 of 16,326
Would someone be able to to a SQ comparison between the DP-X1, Acoustic Research AR-M2 and Opus#1 ?
Hard decision to make.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #12,273 of 16,326
Is this dap easy to make playlists spanning across 2 micro sd card for use.  I have a Fiio X5 and Fiio keeps lying a saying my X5 supports this when it does not.  I plan on getting a non Fiio dap.  They lost a customer for life.  I am throwing my X5 away.  What a waste of money.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #12,274 of 16,326
Is this dap easy to make playlists spanning across 2 micro sd card for use.  I have a Fiio X5 and Fiio keeps lying a saying my X5 supports this when it does not.  I plan on getting a non Fiio dap.  They lost a customer for life.  I am throwing my X5 away.  What a waste of money.

I gave up on creating playlists on this player (many months ago tried the Sony software which someone recommended). Been using the 'Browse by Folder' feature; dragged and dropped my own tracks in :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #12,275 of 16,326
I gave up on creating playlists on this player (many months ago tried the Sony software which someone recommended). Been using the 'Browse by Folder' feature; dragged and dropped my own tracks in
smily_headphones1.gif

Not doing that.  Thanks.  Onkyo is off my list.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #12,276 of 16,326
  How do you increase Gain on the Onkyo? I've seen demo's but they never increase the gain, is their a switch or do you do it through the software? How does this work for streaming services, does it scale automatically for them or do you have to switch a button. 

Thanks for the help

Any ideas? I'm going to buy today if I know...sorry...

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #12,281 of 16,326

Another quick question sorry, does the EQ work in Spotify? On my android phone it doesn't. 

No. The EQ (and corresponding DSP) only work within the Onkyo Music App. I believe you can probably dl an EQ app that applies universally and there's tons of them available on the app store.

The only sound settings in the stock player that are universal to any app on the player are found in Settings -> sound & notifications. These settings are:

Output select (Balanced; ACG; or OFF)
Digital Filter Setting (Sharp; Slow; Short)
Lock Range Adjust (Wide; Normal; Narrow)
Gain

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #12,282 of 16,326
  Gain is through the software. Settings -> sound & notification -> Gain setting (3 options; low, medium, high)

There is a big difference between each setting in terms of output.

I have mine on high gain at 106 volume for my Shure 846's, so I don't really understand what low gain is supposed to be for. Unless it changes output impedance too...

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #12,283 of 16,326
The dpx1 is a very nice package. can someone give the real low down on this headphone jack issue. that would be the deal breaker????????

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #12,284 of 16,326

I have mine on high gain at 106 volume for my Shure 846's, so I don't really understand what low gain is supposed to be for. Unless it changes output impedance too...

Well I'm not an audio technical expert, but I played with the extremes to try to understand gain and the difference between gain and volume. For example, I went to low gain, max volume, then high gain, with around 105-110 volume. Output wise, they had the same "loudness", but the noise floor was much higher with high gain than with low gain. So during silent passages or parts of songs where there were few instruments playing, you could hear kinda like a low "buzz" when playing on high gain.

My gain is currently set to normal and I can see advantages to playing things on low gain to get absolutely near no audible noise. Probably not useful on mp3s and other compressed tracks but probably worthwhile on true hi-res, high bitrate/freq songs.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #12,285 of 16,326

The higher that gain the higher maximum output power. The high gain is needed to power most full-sized headphones. If you have a highly sensitive iem set the gain to low. This is to protect your phone and ear from accidental damage.

Also High gain will make noise bigger as well. So rule of thumb is to stay as low as your headphone can take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back