ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 30, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #12,286 of 16,326
The dpx1 is a very nice package. can someone give the real low down on this headphone jack issue. that would be the deal breaker????????

I can only tell you that my DP-X1 has no issues with the output jacks. Others have had issues in the past and they applied all sorts of fixes (epoxy among others) but mine luckily does not require that.

Not a good thing to say, but I guess it takes a bit of luck to get one without jack-spacing issues.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #12,287 of 16,326

Well I'm not an audio technical expert, but I played with the extremes to try to understand gain and the difference between gain and volume. For example, I went to low gain, max volume, then high gain, with around 105-110 volume. Output wise, they had the same "loudness", but the noise floor was much higher with high gain than with low gain. So during silent passages or parts of songs where there were few instruments playing, you could hear kinda like a low "buzz" when playing on high gain.

My gain is currently set to normal and I can see advantages to playing things on low gain to get absolutely near no audible noise. Probably not useful on mp3s and other compressed tracks but probably worthwhile on true hi-res, high bitrate/freq songs.

Aaahhh... That makes sense. I just assume that everything will have background hiss with those 'phones. I'll try them on middle gain and see if that helps. I try to avoid max volume, though, as I like to have the headroom and I find things get a little V-shaped sometimes.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #12,288 of 16,326

Aaahhh... That makes sense. I just assume that everything will have background hiss with those 'phones. I'll try them on middle gain and see if that helps. I try to avoid max volume, though, as I like to have the headroom and I find things get a little V-shaped sometimes.

Run the SE846 on low; they're so sensitive that they don't require any gain. Wish I could set it to 0db actually, or even negative gain.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #12,290 of 16,326

there is negative gain in the onkyo music app. -3dB

the 3 dots in the top left when playing a track -> settings -> gain setting

Ah, too bad it's not in the system settings. I mostly use Tidal. But thanks!

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #12,291 of 16,326

Ah, too bad it's not in the system settings. I mostly use Tidal. But thanks!

If you're willing to root your DP-X1, you can install and use the audio signal processing power of the viper4android app.
The viper4android FX v2.5.0.5 includes quite a number of level & frequency modifying modules.

Regards,
David Baldock

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #12,292 of 16,326
Looking into the high gain issue, it seems that there isn't a concern about damage to the earphones on high gain. More, the problem is that it can become difficult to accurately adjust the volume and that below about 9 o'clock on the volume knob you can get channel imbalance. And there is the risk of an inadvertent volume adjustment that cranks the volume too high too fast.

Here's more on the issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585803/does-high-gain-setting-damage-headphones

I'll still try the other settings, but at 150mW total power, I don't think high gain is an issue. That's got to be less power on tap than the low gain on any of my other amps.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #12,293 of 16,326

there is negative gain in the onkyo music app. -3dB

the 3 dots in the top left when playing a track -> settings -> gain setting

This has nothing to do with the global gain. Read the option again. It will only affect DSD playback just to avoid clipping.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #12,294 of 16,326
  Looking into the high gain issue, it seems that there isn't a concern about damage to the earphones on high gain. More, the problem is that it can become difficult to accurately adjust the volume and that below about 9 o'clock on the volume knob you can get channel imbalance. And there is the risk of an inadvertent volume adjustment that cranks the volume too high too fast.

Here's more on the issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585803/does-high-gain-setting-damage-headphones

I'll still try the other settings, but at 150mW total power, I don't think high gain is an issue. That's got to be less power on tap than the low gain on any of my other amps.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Who says high gain is an issue?( Or gain in general)  It is there for a purpose. But if you abuse it, damaging you earphone is the least of your concern. You might damage your ears first.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #12,295 of 16,326

If you're willing to root your DP-X1, you can install and use the audio signal processing power of the viper4android app.
The viper4android FX v2.5.0.5 includes quite a number of level & frequency modifying modules.

Regards,
David Baldock

Or just enable EQ and bring down eveything if low gain is still too much for your iem.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #12,296 of 16,326
Some random observations from a new DP-X1 owner...I'm sure most of this has been discussed somewhere in this very long thread already, but I'm only through reading the first 150 pages of posts... :)

-First of all, I really like the sound.  It is an improvement over my AK100ii...hard to quantify, but the balanced out sounds sublime!  I'm using a balanced cable to Shure SE846s, with custom Sensaphonic sleeves.  I'm also using a balanced cable to my Violectric V281 amp and output via a balanced cable to HiFiMan HE1000s at home.

-I was concerned about connecting the DP-X1 via a balanced cable to the 3-pin XLR inputs on my V281 amp (vs. headphones) because there is no ground in the balanced cable.  The DP-X1 manual only addresses using the balanced out when connecting to headphones, not a headphone amp.  The AK100ii manual says to use a special adapter that uses the 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks simultaneously when connecting to equipment other than headphones, so you are connecting ground via the 3.5mm jack.  The DP-X1 manual specifically says not to use both jacks simultaneously.  There are only a few cables with the special adapter for the AK100ii and they are super expensive.  Long story short, I bought a 2.5mm to 3-pin XLR cable from Surf Cables and it works perfectly, without a ground!  I contacted Surf Cables before connecting and they said they get this question a lot, and they've never heard of a problem doing it this way.

-The HE1000s sound incredible connected via balanced through my V281.  I have yet to try the balanced out from the DP-X1 directly to the HE1000s to see if it can drive the headphones adequately without a separate headphone amp, but I do have a cable on the way to try this.

-Since the DP-X1 has "MQA," I decided to try this.  I went to the 2L Nordic Sound website "HiRes Test Bench" page and downloaded all of the sample files!  The MQA files sound great!  I have a hard time telling much difference between the much smaller MQA file and the much larger DSD files.  Anyway, I highly recommend going to 2L and check it out yourself!  Since Tidal is supposed to start streaming MQA quality early next year, I'm very encouraged by this.

-Headphone jacks...might as well comment on this...my first unit had a loose 2.5mm jack.  So does my second.  By loose, I mean there is a small amount of play side to side.  My first unit was "Used-Like New" from Amazon, and it also had a 3.5mm jack that barely had enough grab to hold the plug in place.  So I guess there are two types of potential issues with jacks.  I'm not going to worry about it further.  If my jacks start to degrade, I'll contact Onkyo and get it resolved...the current pricing on the DP-X1 is too hard to pass up.

-Playlists....I have no problem creating playlists that span internal memory and both sd cards.  It is rather simple from within the Onkyo Music Player app.

-Equalizer...at first I didn't like it.  When I applied any type of equalizer, even "Flat," to certain songs, like .dsf recordings of Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin' and Norah Jones - You've Ruined Me, it seemed to put a veil over the music.  These are superb recordings by themselves.  However, when I listened to recordings by the Cowboy Junkies and Rolling Stones, the vocals seemed a bit subdued so I again tried the equalizer, and in that case I was able to achieve the opposite effect, basically lifting a veil off the music!

-Cases...I wish Onkyo included at least a basic case.  I purchased a very nice, but very expensive PJ red stitch Italian leather case on Amazon.  Excellent quality and perfect fit, except there is no cutout for the Play/Pause, FF/REW, etc. buttons on the right side.  It is stamped where the buttons are, but very difficult to tap the correct button.

-Screen Protector...I'm using the Lifebox tempered glass.   Super easy to install and seems to work perfectly.

-Lastly, I inquired earlier about why the "Line Out" is at max volume if the line output is supposedly bypassing the internal amp.  Someone replied that it is because it is the same as the 0db output of the amp.  To be honest, I don't understand this...anyone care to "amplify" on this?  :)

That's about it for now.  Hope these observations help...

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #12,297 of 16,326

Or just enable EQ and bring down eveything if low gain is still too much for your iem.

Does the EQ affect streaming apps, like Spotify, Soundcloud, and Tunein Radio?

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #12,298 of 16,326

Does the EQ affect streaming apps, like Spotify, Soundcloud, and Tunein Radio?

Take Care,
David Baldock

It does not.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #12,299 of 16,326
Should the loose jack issue cause someone not to buy this unit? i did ask before but i am till unsure. can someone give me the full low down on this as the unit is such a nice package. thanks

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #12,300 of 16,326
  Should the loose jack issue cause someone not to buy this unit? i did ask before but i am till unsure. can someone give me the full low down on this as the unit is such a nice package. thanks

The loose jack can become loose enough to lose the connection between the socket and the wiring.  A lot of people had this problem.  There are self fixes, but I would not suggest doing them.  Some people have had loose jacks and some have not.  Some have had it happen right away and some have had them loosen over time.  I would ask yourself is buying this dap worth the likelihood of the jacks becoming loose and will it be worth the frustration of what you have paid for it.  That is up to you.  I don't have time or money to send it in for warranty regularly and I do not have the patience for it myself.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back