ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #12,256 of 16,326
How does the HD650, DT 1770, and LCD-2 sound on these.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #12,257 of 16,326
Hi Everyone
I am interested in hearing any feedback from pairing HD700 balanaced with the onkyo dp-x1.

I have a sennheiser IE800 and i am not too comfortable modding it and i would like to make use of the balanced output on the onkyo. i listened to the HD700 a while back off an iPhone+ Chord Mojo and was very impressed.

I listen mostly to classic rock, trance, house. can't really justify going for the HD800 or the HD800s so i am considering HD700+balanced cable for the DP-X1

any impressions?

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #12,258 of 16,326
How do you increase Gain on the Onkyo? I've seen demo's but they never increase the gain, is their a switch or do you do it through the software? How does this work for streaming services, does it scale automatically for them or do you have to switch a button. 

Thanks for the help

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #12,259 of 16,326
Looks like the new clearance price for the DP-X1 is down to $550 as it is being discontinued for the new DP-X1a and Pioneer XDP-300r.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01AWLQ1AY/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #12,260 of 16,326
How do the two balanced modes work in practice. do you need specific headphone or connectors for acg and btl i don't get this. also how many hours would you get at high volume in balanced from a full charge? many thanks acg is not from balanced output then??

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #12,261 of 16,326
Just purchased one from Amazon for the closeout price. I'll let everyone know the state of the jacks once it arrives. Although, I am cautiously optimistic.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #12,262 of 16,326
  How do the two balanced modes work in practice. do you need specific headphone or connectors for acg and btl i don't get this. also how many hours would you get at high volume in balanced from a full charge? many thanks acg is not from balanced output then??

The AGC mode is a function of the balanced amplifier, so is only in-use with 2.5mm output (even though the icon stays on when using the unbalanced 3.5mm output).

From the Manual (Pg 12) -
"AGC - A mode suitable for when you have
connected balanced headphones. The basic
operating method is the same as the
balanced mode, but uses technology to even
more forcefully fix grounding standards, so
you can enjoy a sound quality with improved
clarity and more stability than the balanced
mode. Output volume is the same as the
regular single-ended operation, however."

I've never been away from a charger long enough to actually run the battery down in my DP-X1 - but I expect that the AGC mode does use more power than the BTL mode.  To me, there is a subtle improvement in Bass impact and the Sound-stage "airiness" when switching AGC on - and it may also depend a bit on which earphones are on my balanced MMCX cable.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #12,263 of 16,326
Many thanks Dave. to simplify you connect your headphone balanced then either switch acg on or off as an option in the player. i assume there is no option switch for btl as thats the standard. finally do onkyo supply the adaptor for 2.5 to balanced.

thanks

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #12,264 of 16,326
  Many thanks Dave. to simplify you connect your headphone balanced then either switch acg on or off as an option in the player. i assume there is no option switch for btl as thats the standard. finally do onkyo supply the adaptor for 2.5 to balanced.

thanks

Well, the 2.5mm jack _is_ the Balanced output.

And, no - you wouldn't want to connect a 2.5mm Balanced Male Plug -to- 3.5mm Unbalanced Female Jack adapter, since that would be shorting the (-) side of the two amplifier channels together, probably damaging the amps.

I'm working on building some short 3.5mm Unbalanced Right-Angle Male Plug -to- 2.5mm Balanced Female Jack adapters, since the Unbalanced device output means that the two (-) leads are connected together already.  This will allow me to use my Balanced cables with my Unbalanced devices (Phone, Tablet, Headphone Amps).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #12,265 of 16,326
im getting a bit confused. if my headphone has the xlr balanced type connection then surely i need a 2.5mm to xlr adaptor? also are the loose headphone sockets now no longer an issue on the dp x1? i understand iem have single balanced cables. (2.5mm male TRRS to single 4 pin XLR Female)

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #12,266 of 16,326
  im getting a bit confused. if my headphone has the xlr balanced type connection then surely i need a 2.5mm to xlr adaptor? also are the loose headphone sockets now no longer an issue on the dp x1? i understand iem have single balanced cables. (2.5mm male TRRS to single 4 pin XLR Female)

Ah, I didn't realize you meant a 2.5mm Balanced -to- a different style of Balanced connector (XLR in your case).
There are no audio adapter cables included with the DP-X1, you'll need to order whichever one is needed, as a separate purchase.

The unit I received about a month ago has a trim plate with no real gap around the 2.5mm & 3.5mm jacks, so they are not able to move side-to-side.  Neither do they move vertically (in/out) of the case.  So, either I'm really lucky with the unit shipped to me, or the loose jack issue may have been dealt with, as they were tooling up for producing the new DP-X1A.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #12,267 of 16,326
Hw serious is the loose jack problem enough to stop a purchase. how can you make sure it won't affect the one you get. for someone new to premium daps how easy is it to navigate through potentially many thousand tracks. does the pioneer suffer from the jack issue. many thanks

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #12,268 of 16,326
Just received mine. I ended up with jacks that are off-center, but not wiggly either with my fingernail or when plugging in and unplugging. Nothing to worry about then? Let's hope so.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #12,269 of 16,326
  The unit I received about a month ago has a trim plate with no real gap around the 2.5mm & 3.5mm jacks, so they are not able to move side-to-side.  Neither do they move vertically (in/out) of the case.  So, either I'm really lucky with the unit shipped to me, or the loose jack issue may have been dealt with, as they were tooling up for producing the new DP-X1A.

Take Care,
David Baldock

I'm just gonna repeat what I had said before (buried deep in this thread):
My unit was amongst the first batch of DP-X1(B / original series). Neither jacks have had gaps and still don't show any today.
The 3.5mm jack had even a super tight grip with all of my various 3.5mm TRS cable plugs.
Yet very quickly enough it started to lose that grip and eventually any tiny movement slides it off. And mind you, 1mm sliding up = auto pause cut off.
I'm happy yours don't and hopefully won't have any of this :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #12,270 of 16,326
  I'm just gonna repeat what I had said before (buried deep in this thread):
My unit was amongst the first batch of DP-X1(B / original series). Neither jacks have had gaps and still don't show any today.
The 3.5mm jack had even a super tight grip with all of my various 3.5mm TRS cable plugs.
Yet very quickly enough it started to lose that grip and eventually any tiny movement slides it off. And mind you, 1mm sliding up = auto pause cut off.
I'm happy yours don't and hopefully won't have any of this :)

Mine is the original model - it was a stretch, convincing myself to spend ~$600 on a portable audio player, and I sure wasn't going to order one of the "A" models, at more than $1000... 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back