ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 27, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #12,242 of 16,326
  Is there distortion using the default music app? I will not be using any internet music services.  I like to choose my own music in my own collection.  I don't have wifi access when I use the DPX1 while out and about and have no interest in those services.

There were never problems reported when using the default music app...
When using other services like Tidal, you don't need any wifi access when you've "downloaded" the files on your memory.

It's strange that some people don't have any problem at all with Tidal (with new players?) and other ones are really disappointed...
How do we know for sure when ordering a new one that it hasn'at anymore those issues?

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #12,244 of 16,326
What does the gains do?

And does this have a line out mode to hook it to my amp.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #12,246 of 16,326
The gains make you stronger.

Nah but it basically just add more power to the HP jack if your headphones are hard to drive. So low gain is for easy to drive headphones while high gain is for headphones hard to drive headphones.

Do you know if it has a line out mode though?

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #12,249 of 16,326
Yes, the DP-X1 can be switched from fixed to variable line out and vice versa, so the line out can be used to hook it up to your (pre-)amp.

I've found that the Bluetooth range of the DP-X1 is pretty abysmal (a couple of feet, if passing though a human body), so I switched OFF the internal Bluetooth, and connected a small, portable Trond BT Apt-X Transmitter ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01B4W40VC ) to the Line-Out, and then my Trinity Audio BT Lanyard worked over the "normal" range of 25-35 ft.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #12,250 of 16,326
I know this is probably basic stuff, but I don't understand the function of the Line Out on the DP-X1.  I thought the Line Out was supposed to bypass the internal amp to avoid "coloring" the sound.  The volume of the Line Out on the DP-X1 is the same as the maximum volume on the 3.5mm headphone out, so the Line Out still seems to go through the amplification stage.  Is there an impedance change, or some other purpose for the Line Out mode?

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #12,251 of 16,326
I know this is probably basic stuff, but I don't understand the function of the Line Out on the DP-X1.  I thought the Line Out was supposed to bypass the internal amp to avoid "coloring" the sound.  The volume of the Line Out on the DP-X1 is the same as the maximum volume on the 3.5mm headphone out, so the Line Out still seems to go through the amplification stage.  Is there an impedance change, or some other purpose for the Line Out mode?

That just means the amp stage is at 0dB. The line out will be bypassing that amp stage.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #12,253 of 16,326
  I'm playing with my new DP-X1 and downloaded some Tidal HiFi tracks to the micro sd card in slot 1.  So far, no blips or distortion when playing back in offline mode from the micro sd card...using Shure SE846s with a balanced cable in "ACG" mode.

Also, this player was "Used-Like New" from Amazon warehouse and has a loose 2.5mm jack so it is going back.  Have another on the way, purchased new on Black Friday, hopefully it will not have the same issue.

Hey brother! I'm also using the DP-X1 with SE846, balanced, and ACG. So lovely :)

I do however occasionally get blips with offline content...but thought it was because of my shoty wifi signal :p. Not frequent enough to bug me though.

No loose 2.5mm jack for me, sorry to hear you ran into that problem.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #12,254 of 16,326
Hey, 

I have the same question, does the gain knob work for Spotify, Tidal etc. So I should be able to increase gain for these? 

Also what kind of plug does the Onkyo come with? current best place to buy it? 

Thanks, 

John 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back