ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 5, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #11,206 of 16,326
after owning dp-x1 for 10 days, i would not recommend that device for standalone usage to anyone. yet.

i can not complain about huge storage or sound output (feels like there is no enough power on SE even for Fiio EX1 in my case, but it sounds good)

- software sucks: tons of quirks. even tho~ we have android there. dac is not directly available to 3rd party apps and 'dac fix' makes things quite complicated. volume control become tricky with 'dac fix' enabled. stock player is a joke. no ape, no image+cue, no proper navigation...
- for software we can add that onkyo is uncooperative. i sended them few messages/requests asking about releasing kernel sources and they give no f*k like fiio, ibasso or sony. they just ignore.

- hardware issues: no real 44.1 (right?), unknown status of 3.5 se and 2.5 bl ports (people report that they tend to break), i have got new batch but it still feel clumsy (i desperately want to resolder it with something from neutrik), battery so so.

if local shop (3kshop in Hanoi) would have some return policy (atleast with reduced price return) - i would have returned it and got qp1r or plenue 1 instead.
i try to contact shop, but if they refuse - i would have to get PHA3 and try to port cyanogenmod to that DAP.

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #11,207 of 16,326
  dac is not directly available to 3rd party apps and 'dac fix' makes things quite complicated. volume control become tricky with 'dac fix' enabled. stock player is a joke. no ape, no image+cue, no proper navigation...
- for software we can add that onkyo is uncooperative. i sended them few messages/requests asking about releasing kernel sources and they give no f*k like fiio, ibasso or sony. they just ignore.

How can the DAC not be available to 3rd party apps? It is or it isn't unless I'm missing something here. If the DAC wasn't available there would be no sound from third party apps so what do you mean "fully available"?

You are completely misunderstanding how the public license works. none of those companies have to give access to any of their software, zero. They only have to provide any changes they make to the kernel. I find it amazing people think companies are supposed to invest significant amounts of money and then simply hand over their code base. That isn't at all how it legally works. Why do you think Google isn't suing FiiO, Sony, ONKYO or other companies? Because they aren't doing anything wrong.

If you think they are breaking the law (which they are not) send them a letter from a lawyer asking for an explanation. They ignore you because they know they aren't breaking the law and they don't need to answer to you directly. Do you really think these major companies that operate globally aren't smart enough to make sure their legal experts look over the license agreements for any technology they use?

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #11,208 of 16,326

I never tried to compare both for driving power, but on sound quality.... The QP1R totally smokes the DPX1 balanced. It was like comparing a desktop rig to a portable rig to my ears. However, despite the QP1R being leagues ahead, I'm using the DPX1 now because 1) Lower priced and 2) Better UI.

Bingo, while sound quality is EXTREMELY important to all of us, the best sound quality if it has a compromised UI or functionality looses a great deal as compared with a device that may be somewhat (and subjectively at that) less sonically capable but far easier to use. As you know, all devices have to make compromises so that balance between price, sound quality and usability is a tough one to get just right and the DP-X1 for a first go by ONKYO was a really strong effort. Now we need to see what comes with the X2. I'm sure the jacks will be fixed and it would be nice to have a little more power both SE and balanced for one thing.

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #11,209 of 16,326
i don't want to start it over.

have you readed gpl2 license?

ibasso just ignore. never release sources.
fiio reply but refuse to release kernel sources.
sony never reply.
onkyo never reply.

yes, they're obligated by license to release kernel sources.
and yes, they can provide binaries for their 'work'.

there is exceptions that they can abuse but in the end it is gpl2 and they should bundle sources or provide them by request. 

but okay. i tried to deal with fiio and their fiio x7 running android. kernel sources should be shared but fiio basically told me to f*k off. i guess explaination is that it is chinese company and with all that hype around it... they just don't give a f*k.
i sold fiio x7 device right after i found out what garbage it is without proper support.

here is the the onkyo. available on international market. distribute device running android that ofcouse run linux kernel (which is licensed under gpl2). and... never release kernel sources.

this gpl2 violations are so nice...

instead of trying to defend companies that violate gpl2, imagine that your device might run 6.x or 7.x android, have proper cyanogenmod port and very long community support (as long as there is people that is interested. i see that onkyo already lost interest)... isn't that is nice things?

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #11,210 of 16,326
@damex, what evidence do you have that they modified the kernel? They only need to release code for changes to the kernel, nothing else.

As well, I don't think commercial companies should be expected to create devices that can be updated in-perpituity by the open-source community. They are after all for profit entities and that would be a stupid move for them. It is up to us as consumers to decide if we can live with those compromises, and if we can, we buy the device with all of the limitations that come with it.

Why doesn't the open source community simply design their own DAP that can be left open and improved forever? That might be simpler than expecting for profit corrporations to change how they operate. As well, with all the corporate criminal activity that actually effects the lives of millions of people around the globe it is hard to get excited about a possible infraction like this which doesn't even matter in the big scheme of things.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #11,211 of 16,326
I completely agree and share your hopes! Far too often you see the new version really just providing bells and whistles, but failing to substantively address areas that the predecessor needed to improve in. Still, hope springs eternal as they say so I hope the X2 will indeed be a worthy successor.

Yep. The DP-X1 was a fantastic device that was near perfect for me. If Onkyo could keep that general style guide, whilst improving on a few key areas, I'd be a (very) happy camper. I just hope that they don't go down the path taken by some DAP companies of late by adding an extra grand or so to its sticker tag. Things are getting mighty expensive.

Nothing beat New Walkman, totally all out audio, Walkman OS, native DSD from Sony itself and 250mW per channel in balanced

However, it is excellent to have Onkyo doing a different approach. We don't know which will end up winning, but certainly an all out device like Onkyo is doing is more practical anyways

Well, the camera, for example, would not be something I'd personally use, but I'm sure it'd be useful for some people. I don't want to sound overly negative over this issue, seeing that it is both minute and premature. I'm just hoping that Onkyo doesn't disappoint with this new device.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #11,212 of 16,326
Obviously, Onkyo wants to provide a camera in their dp-x2 to fulfill the needs of head-fi members to post pictures of their IEMs and cans. Look for onkyo-branded lens-flare and other pic filters. Instead of face detection, look for logo-detecting auto-focus. :)

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #11,213 of 16,326
 what evidence do you have that they modified the kernel? They only need to release code for changes to the kernel, nothing else.

i don't need any. IF they compile kernel from the source (some generic/vanilla source) and DO NOT DO ANY MODIFICATION -> they still obligated to bundle sources/provide sources by request.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #11,216 of 16,326

Like I said, I think you're wrong. Send Google a message and see what they say, they own Android and grant the license so if you're correct they should force these companies to comply.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #11,217 of 16,326
My post directed at people who wanted an "All Out" dedicated to music. Tell me, what DAP out there has it own OS that was developed from the ground up like Walkman OS

This can be a great feature but is dependent on Sony updating the software which there is no guarantee.
Too early for me to say that I know as it hasn't been released yet.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11,220 of 16,326
Anyone found the latest Tidal version is better than last version (1.10.2.655.1) in term of sound quality?

That would be very difficult to ascertain as you will only be going by memory which is notoriously unreliable. If someone tells you something has changed you are quite likely to hear a difference. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back