ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 21, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #10,441 of 16,326
  This sounds more like a sound signature preference thing. Technically those DACs are equally competent and the DP-X1 outputs more than enough power, but it doesn't sound like the signatures match as well for your tastes as compared with the other gear you have used, but that is a personal thing. Bigger cases and components by themselves are meaningless, if we implemented and tuned the same DAC chips in a small DAP case size or a desktop DAC the sound would be transparent to the user so desktop versus portable doesn't have to mean anything at all sound wise. They can differ, but it isn't guaranteed simply based on form factor of the components.

Sure it's all subjective. Where do you get the impression that I state the bigger form factors sound better than smaller? Both Mojo and Vorzuge are smaller than X1 and ALO is nearly the same size. It's a bit of apples to oranges comparison, but I find no correlation to size of device and sound quality. If I knew of a DAP that would give me the same sound quality that suits me on Laylas, I would buy it because I don't particularly enjoy stacking portable devices.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #10,442 of 16,326
  Volume wise there is no problem with the X1 driving the Laylas in either SE or balanced. However in my opinion, the quality of sound is good, but it also cripples why you pay the ridiculous price of the Laylas. The sound is dark and veiled with less soundstage on the X1 compared to amps and DACs I've tried with Schiit Gungnir 2, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Vorzuge PII+, ALO CDM, and Chord Mojo. You don't know what you're missing with the Laylas until you try it with some higher end gear. In fact, I think Rosies pair better than the Laylas on X1 and it cost only 1/3rd the price. With the right setup with the Laylas, it rivals the best closed headphones. I sold my Ether C because I didn't feel a need for it after Laylas. I may sound like I'm just scaling performance to cost, but I would never use Laylas with any of the AK DAPs I tested from AK240 through AK380 either for the same reasons I state for the X1.

Now, if you are willing to accept that you are getting a crippled sound out Laylas (which still sound good) and just want the convenience of an all in one DAP for portability, sure go for it. But if that's your end game setup, you are wasting a lot of potential on the Laylas that the X1 will never be able to deliver on it's own.

Agreed, matching is very important even the driving power is enough.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #10,443 of 16,326
Laylas compare with Heir 10.0 , I think Laylas is cooler in sound thus when couple with dp-x1 it may feel darker.

Where mojo is quite warm and colored in sound signature, thus it may better match to Laylas.

Another method to drive Laylas on dp-x1 is to use Neutron player. Neutron is warmer than the Music app  I can tell.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #10,444 of 16,326

Sure it's all subjective. Where do you get the impression that I state the bigger form factors sound better than smaller? Both Mojo and Vorzuge are smaller than X1 and ALO is nearly the same size. It's a bit of apples to oranges comparison, but I find no correlation to size of device and sound quality. If I knew of a DAP that would give me the same sound quality that suits me on Laylas, I would buy it because I don't particularly enjoy stacking portable devices.

Yes, my bad, for some reason when you wrote higher end gear my mind filled in the blank and ignored what you wrote and put words in your mouth. Sorry mate, it is late and I guess I should stop posting and sleep!

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #10,445 of 16,326
  Yes, my bad, for some reason when you wrote higher end gear my mind filled in the blank and ignored what you wrote and put words in your mouth. Sorry mate, it is late and I guess I should stop posting and sleep!

LOL, I wish it were that simple. All the stuff I listed I have sold off at a loss and as luck would have it, ALO CDM was the last one I bought but at least that's the one I like best overall. Still have about $600 of tubes that I no longer need, but just haven't got around to selling.

It's also not a warmth/cold thing to my ears. It's more veiled like trying to see through a smoke filled room. There is one technical fact that is common with the devices that I liked to ones I didn't like. The ones I liked had output impedance at pretty much zero. X1 and AK have 1-2 ohm. While that should still be safe using the 8x rule, BA drivers impedance vary wildly by frequency and I believe the Laylas drop to around 5 ohms at higher frequencies.  Not sure if this is the reason, but it is the only quantifiable difference I could come up with looking at all the specs. Absolutely no correlation to how much power any of the devices could output.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #10,446 of 16,326

LOL, I wish it were that simple. All the stuff I listed I have sold off at a loss and as luck would have it, ALO CDM was the last one I bought but at least that's the one I like best overall. Still have about $600 of tubes that I no longer need, but just haven't got around to selling.

Do you still have the ALO? That does sound like a great piece of kit. I have often thought about getting one myself. Now I also think about the new Woo Audio with the similar form factor, forget the model. Yummy looking tube glow!

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #10,447 of 16,326
  Do you still have the ALO? That does sound like a great piece of kit. I have often thought about getting one myself. Now I also think about the new Woo Audio with the similar form factor, forget the model. Yummy looking tube glow!

Yes, ALO CDM is it for me so far with the Sonotone tubes. It's a hybrid amp so only a "touch of tubes". Fairly neutral sound, but has that euphonic effect of tubes. Really adds to soundstage.

I listened to a late prototype of the WA8 and it is 100% tube power and output. It is a very tubey amp - warm and thick. Even more than the WA7 (which I also owned at one time). WA8 is great if you want more meat to your IEMs, but not so much if you prefer neutral. I am a natural + a little warmth preference so CDM is more my taste with Laylas.

Now if you have a Beyerdyanmic T5P or Senn HD800, WA8 is fabulous.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #10,449 of 16,326

Yes, ALO CDM is it for me so far with the Sonotone tubes. It's a hybrid amp so only a "touch of tubes". Fairly neutral sound, but has that euphonic effect of tubes. Really adds to soundstage.

I listened to a late prototype of the WA8 and it is 100% tube power and output. It is a very tubey amp - warm and thick. Even more than the WA7 (which I also owned at one time). WA8 is great if you want more meat to your IEMs, but not so much if you prefer neutral. I am a natural + a little warmth preference so CDM is more my taste with Laylas.

Now if you have a Beyerdyanmic T5P or Senn HD800, WA8 is fabulous.

Thanks, sounds like our tastes in sound signatures are similar. I do like some warmth, but as I'm sure you have experienced, too much warmth just ends up feeling veiled and detail smearing so it is a balancing act. It sounds like I would like the WA8 as a pairing for a neutral/analytical headphone. Awesome feedback, cheers.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #10,450 of 16,326
  Volume wise there is no problem with the X1 driving the Laylas in either SE or balanced. However in my opinion, the quality of sound is good, but it also cripples why you pay the ridiculous price of the Laylas. The sound is dark and veiled with less soundstage on the X1 compared to amps and DACs I've tried with Schiit Gungnir 2, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Vorzuge PII+, ALO CDM, and Chord Mojo. You don't know what you're missing with the Laylas until you try it with some higher end gear. In fact, I think Rosies pair better than the Laylas on X1 and it cost only 1/3rd the price. With the right setup with the Laylas, it rivals the best closed headphones. I sold my Ether C because I didn't feel a need for it after Laylas. I may sound like I'm just scaling performance to cost, but I would never use Laylas with any of the AK DAPs I tested from AK240 through AK380 either for the same reasons I state for the X1.

Now, if you are willing to accept that you are getting a crippled sound out Laylas (which still sound good) and just want the convenience of an all in one DAP for portability, sure go for it. But if that's your end game setup, you are wasting a lot of potential on the Laylas that the X1 will never be able to deliver on it's own.

what about  JH Angie II, with DP-X1 any recommendation and impression please

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #10,451 of 16,326
  what about  JH Angie II, with DP-X1 any recommendation and impression please

Unfortunately I have not auditioned Angies or Roxannes. If I were to make an educated guess, I would expect Angies to be a mixed result - good if you find Angies too bright and thin, bad if don't. I would also add that Rosies will not leave you with a desire for more sparkle and top end with the X1 so you may want to check those out and save some good dollars.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #10,454 of 16,326

I've used Angies through X1 and sounds fantastic.

bflat, I don't agree but 
beerchug.gif

X1 is an awesome source for Layla. Sounds full, dimensional and fierce. The damn things have A&K stamped on them!

Anyway, I can attest that they produce the best results I've heard from the X1, and the differences aren't negligible.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #10,455 of 16,326
Someone mentioned the hi-re Beatles collection. Here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O

Remastered 24/44.1 FLAC entire catalogue on a USB drive. I've had it forever and it never gets old. Some of songs make up my reference material when testing new phones. The SQ and mixing is just insane and if you love the Beatles it will make your head explode. Pure magic. If you love "audiophile artifacts" look no further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back