ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 20, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #10,411 of 16,326
  Sorry to hear about some folks having quality issues with their X1. One thing I can share with you is that you shouldn't assume jumping to a higher priced DAP will protect you from these types of issues. I was on the AK bandwagon in the past and if all you did was search and replace "Onkyo" with "AK" in this whole thread, I would 100% believe this was about AK. The similarities are so close!

Flawed connectors - AK240SS was infamous for causing a short from the balanced jack on early units. The fix? An insulating washer applied to the cable. Others used scotch tape.

Suspect battery - same problems with several users needing a complete replacement.

Malfunctioning volume wheel - several reports on AK240 and even the latest AK380 to the point people were afraid of using the wheel because it would jump so much in volume.

Distorted sound - much like here, several users having difficulty trying to diagnose what the problem is as no two issues seemed identical.

Clueless support - at least Onkyo responds. AK requires "secret" phone numbers or emails to specific employees to get support. General support line and email go unanswered in my experience. Last email I sent AK asked if I could just buy an extra battery. It's been 2+ years and still no response. I would have left a voicemail (nobody would pick up), except voicemail said it was full. That pretty much was the last straw for me.

I know this doesn't help with folks that have a flawed X1 player, but know that you are not alone. Hope you all find a good resolution soon!

Do you think the sound of dp resembles ak 240?

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #10,412 of 16,326
  Do you think the sound of dp resembles ak 240?

I would say not too far off. AK240 give a more gentle smoother presentation with a nice overall soundstage balanced in depth and width. I find the DP has more airiness and sparkle that equates to a wider sound stage than AK240, but lacking the depth. Sound quality wise, I think the DP has tighter, faster bass than AK240. Mids - AK is a little more warm, not lush though. Highs are more edgy and extended on the DP. I am talking in the 5% difference type range here so that's why it's not a massive difference in my opinion. Maybe the biggest difference is ACG mode with DP. I swear the noise level is so black it almost feels like it's negative. AK is pretty silent on noise but I think DP has something extra there with ACG.

So why would I "trade down" to DP? Well, neither drive my Laylas to full potential. ALO CDM does so I only need a transport for my music so DP is awesome in that role. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at how the DP paired with Sennheiser IE80 and use the combo for "true portable". For traveling, I take my DP/CDM stack with me.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #10,413 of 16,326
  Sorry to hear about some folks having quality issues with their X1. One thing I can share with you is that you shouldn't assume jumping to a higher priced DAP will protect you from these types of issues. I was on the AK bandwagon in the past and if all you did was search and replace "Onkyo" with "AK" in this whole thread, I would 100% believe this was about AK. The similarities are so close!

Flawed connectors - AK240SS was infamous for causing a short from the balanced jack on early units. The fix? An insulating washer applied to the cable. Others used scotch tape.

Suspect battery - same problems with several users needing a complete replacement.

Malfunctioning volume wheel - several reports on AK240 and even the latest AK380 to the point people were afraid of using the wheel because it would jump so much in volume.

Distorted sound - much like here, several users having difficulty trying to diagnose what the problem is as no two issues seemed identical.

Clueless support - at least Onkyo responds. AK requires "secret" phone numbers or emails to specific employees to get support. General support line and email go unanswered in my experience. Last email I sent AK asked if I could just buy an extra battery. It's been 2+ years and still no response. I would have left a voicemail (nobody would pick up), except voicemail said it was full. That pretty much was the last straw for me.

I know this doesn't help with folks that have a flawed X1 player, but know that you are not alone. Hope you all find a good resolution soon!

Agreed. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #10,415 of 16,326

I would say not too far off. AK240 give a more gentle smoother presentation with a nice overall soundstage balanced in depth and width. I find the DP has more airiness and sparkle that equates to a wider sound stage than AK240, but lacking the depth. Sound quality wise, I think the DP has tighter, faster bass than AK240. Mids - AK is a little more warm, not lush though. Highs are more edgy and extended on the DP. I am talking in the 5% difference type range here so that's why it's not a massive difference in my opinion. Maybe the biggest difference is ACG mode with DP. I swear the noise level is so black it almost feels like it's negative. AK is pretty silent on noise but I think DP has something extra there with ACG.

So why would I "trade down" to DP? Well, neither drive my Laylas to full potential. ALO CDM does so I only need a transport for my music so DP is awesome in that role. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at how the DP paired with Sennheiser IE80 and use the combo for "true portable". For traveling, I take my DP/CDM stack with me.

I would add my 2 cent to compare dp-x1 to AK240:

- for lower price IEM, I think the AK240 has an edge over dp-x1 because it can give thickness and warmth in sound.

- starting from mid price (IEM of 3 or more BA drivers) , like the heir 3ais, jomo 3 custom, the dp-x1 started to shine as the quality of IEM can add thickness and warmth to music , while dp-x1 has good detail and good sound stage.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #10,417 of 16,326
got it from Connect IT, they got no stock to replace mine at the moment. I have to wait a few days before they get a unit for me from another outlet. It's a 1 to 1 exchange thankfully.

Oic. I got mine from Stereo... Lucky SG unit was import by Hwee Seng... Any issue can return to Hwee Seng for repair.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #10,420 of 16,326
  Oic. I got mine from Stereo... Lucky SG unit was import by Hwee Seng... Any issue can return to Hwee Seng for repair.

All the units in SG is imported by Hwee Seng?

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #10,422 of 16,326

In System, Audio, where you should see Line Out and Variable Line Out.  (if only see Line Out, then it is not a EU/HK version).

In System, Audio, where you should see Line Out and Variable Line Out.  (if only see Line Out, then it is not a EU/HK version).

always very kind thank you, I will try

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #10,423 of 16,326
No worries mate, have downloaded it myself, will give it a test later
smily_headphones1.gif

I've installed the Pioneer Music App, switched back to Onkyo Music within 3 mins :) 
Club Sound Boost makes the audio "muddy" for my taste, not to mention the recessed mids.
Resolution and Details is better on Onkyo Music App.

Does using the Pioneer Music App really saves more battery? Can't notice a significant change on my device.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #10,425 of 16,326
  I tried upscaling to 96 and 192 kb, the difference is noticeable but upscaling to 384kb asks me only usb which means?

That means the built in DAC cannot support 384 kHz sample rate, but it can send a 384 kHz data stream to an external DAC connected to the X1 via OTG USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back