ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,427 of 16,326
I recently got a DP-X1 and the sound is impressive, but I'm not very fond of the interface of the stock player. However, with every 3rd party music player (having tried a host of them from the app store, and the bundled Google Play Music) I'm getting these small skips in the song - fractions of a second but infinitely frustrating. Sometimes it doesn't happen for maybe 10 minutes, and sometimes multiple times per song. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #10,429 of 16,326
I recently got a DP-X1 and the sound is impressive, but I'm not very fond of the interface of the stock player. However, with every 3rd party music player (having tried a host of them from the app store, and the bundled Google Play Music) I'm getting these small skips in the song - fractions of a second but infinitely frustrating. Sometimes it doesn't happen for maybe 10 minutes, and sometimes multiple times per song. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I did last night, playing directly from the sd card, never had the trouble before, so I opened tidal, and listened to my offline music from there no problem. Bit weird though.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #10,430 of 16,326

i got it,

with stock player as well as poweramp too. changed SD card but still skips. i thought my extraction from CD has issues...
But yesterday happened to an album i bought from iTunes.

So kinda frustrating as well.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #10,434 of 16,326
  thank you very, very true and I activated variant and power and more than doubled, thanks again.

Glad to hear your good result!
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #10,435 of 16,326
Why do you say the onkyo does not drive your Layla's to full potential?

I looked at the specifications for the Layla and unless I'm missing something they should be rather easy to drive.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #10,437 of 16,326
X1 drives my laylas quite well, hence my curiosity about the statement.

dp-x1 is good also driving the Heir 10.0 which is 10 BA drivers.  I have tried Heir 10.0 on SE and it is very high end sounding.

Laylas is 12 BA drivers, but I think it can still be drive on SE.  If use 2.5 balanced the power is doubled, it can drive even the HE400i which is a planar headphone.

Therefore I think dp-x1 has enough power to drive Laylas.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #10,438 of 16,326

dp-x1 is good also driving the Heir 10.0 which is 10 BA drivers.  I have tried Heir 10.0 on SE and it is very high end sounding.

Laylas is 12 BA drivers, but I think it can still be drive on SE.  If use 2.5 balanced the power is doubled, it can drive even the HE400i which is a planar headphone.

Therefore I think dp-x1 has enough power to drive Laylas.

Yes indeed, I drove my 400i balanced with the DP-X1 and it did a very good job.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #10,439 of 16,326
Volume wise there is no problem with the X1 driving the Laylas in either SE or balanced. However in my opinion, the quality of sound is good, but it also cripples why you pay the ridiculous price of the Laylas. The sound is dark and veiled with less soundstage on the X1 compared to amps and DACs I've tried with Schiit Gungnir 2, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Vorzuge PII+, ALO CDM, and Chord Mojo. You don't know what you're missing with the Laylas until you try it with some higher end gear. In fact, I think Rosies pair better than the Laylas on X1 and it cost only 1/3rd the price. With the right setup with the Laylas, it rivals the best closed headphones. I sold my Ether C because I didn't feel a need for it after Laylas. I may sound like I'm just scaling performance to cost, but I would never use Laylas with any of the AK DAPs I tested from AK240 through AK380 either for the same reasons I state for the X1.

Now, if you are willing to accept that you are getting a crippled sound out Laylas (which still sound good) and just want the convenience of an all in one DAP for portability, sure go for it. But if that's your end game setup, you are wasting a lot of potential on the Laylas that the X1 will never be able to deliver on it's own.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #10,440 of 16,326

Now, if you are willing to accept that you are getting a crippled sound out Laylas (which still sound good) and just want the convenience of an all in one DAP for portability, sure go for it. But if that's your end game setup, you are wasting a lot of potential on the Laylas that the X1 will never be able to deliver on it's own.

This sounds more like a sound signature preference thing. Technically those DACs are equally competent and the DP-X1 outputs more than enough power, but it doesn't sound like the signatures match as well for your tastes as compared with the other gear you have used, but that is a personal thing. Bigger cases and components by themselves are meaningless, if we implemented and tuned the same DAC chips in a small DAP case size or a desktop DAC the sound would be transparent to the user so desktop versus portable doesn't have to mean anything at all sound wise. They can differ, but it isn't guaranteed simply based on form factor of the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back