ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #10,336 of 16,326

No loss of signal but it's not sitting tight. You can move Your jack in every direction when it's plugged. Both jacks. Doesn't feel sturdy at all.

Jack sockets, especially 2,5mm are loose.

Looks like there's some more plastic body to the jack, which may help with the sudden fracturing from shock loads such as when the player is dropped with headphones plugged in.

This does nothing to address the fundamental design flaw, which is that there is no mechanical support for the jacks other than their soldered attachment to the internal circuit board. A soldered connection, particularly a surface-mount one, is for electrical continuity not mechanical support.

I would still recommend anyone to apply the acrylic or epoxy additional securing to the jacks, particularly if you put the player in a pocket or use headphones with heavy cables / jack plugs.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #10,337 of 16,326

What did Battery Doctor tell you was causing the battery drain?

All Android devices occasionally throw a wobbly and start killing the battery.

Sometimes turning off clears it, occasionally a factory reset is required, very very rarely these days it's a faulty battery that's the root cause.

I've seen very few reports of battery problems so if you have been unlucky and got a bad 'un, don't be afraid to exchange it. I'm still getting 10-12 hours from mine and I think most other users are the same.

Have tried a full reset of this device. The only apps Battery Doctor show that were using power was the music app and Google music, which I think were on because I was playing music on the DP-X1. Didn't show anything else running.

10-12 hours is what I would expect. Have a Questyle player in addition to the DP-X1. That's about what I get from that device.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #10,338 of 16,326
Hi, i am new to using the awesome DP-X1, this may sound like a stupid question but i'm just wondering if there is a way to turn on the DAP without having to fully power off the whole device? Powering back on will take ages before i could listen to my tunes. If i'd lock the device the battery drain is crazy even if i were to set it to airplane mode. Thanks in advance guys!

You could also put it in standalone mode. That way you dont have to go through disabling wifi and other things.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #10,340 of 16,326
  The only apps Battery Doctor show that were using power was the music app and Google music

I'm not familiar with Battery Doctor but there are lots of other processes under Android that will be using power even when things are working normally. Does Battery Doctor give this information?

The only battery problem I've had with the DP-X1 is when a Spotify download failed (memory card full). I think I had to delete and reinstall the Spotify app to fix that. You could have a similar issue with Google Music but only if its power usage is grossly disproportionate to the other drains.

If not, it does look like you have a faulty battery.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #10,341 of 16,326

I'm not familiar with Battery Doctor but there are lots of other processes under Android that will be using power even when things are working normally. Does Battery Doctor give this information?

The only battery problem I've had with the DP-X1 is when a Spotify download failed (memory card full). I think I had to delete and reinstall the Spotify app to fix that. You could have a similar issue with Google Music but only if its power usage is grossly disproportionate to the other drains.

If not, it does look like you have a faulty battery.

Afraid this is the case. I'm really bummed out over this because I just love this player otherwise.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #10,342 of 16,326
  Afraid this is the case. I'm really bummed out over this because I just love this player otherwise.

Replace it and do the acrylic fix for the headphone jacks and you will be golden. It is a very nice player and ONKYO is very likely to continue to support it well with firmware and software updates.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #10,343 of 16,326
  Replace it and do the acrylic fix for the headphone jacks and you will be golden. It is a very nice player and ONKYO is very likely to continue to support it well with firmware and software updates.

Funny thing is I haven't had the problem with the jacks on this player. It's the battery issue that's making me return it. Used to think Onkyo made great stuff. (Had a tape deck they made years ago that was good as a Nakamichi.) Not so sure about them now. First they put out a player with loose headphone jacks and now the latest ones have bad batteries. Real disappointed in this device.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #10,344 of 16,326
  Funny thing is I haven't had the problem with the jacks on this player. It's the battery issue that's making me return it. Used to think Onkyo made great stuff. (Had a tape deck they made years ago that was good as a Nakamichi.) Not so sure about them now. First they put out a player with loose headphone jacks and now the latest ones have bad batteries. Real disappointed in this device.

Are you sure there is a bad batch with battery problems? Frankly, it is actually the battery vendor who is at fault as part of the contract ONKYO would ink for parts would stipulate that all suppliers subject their stock to industry standard testing as ONKYO would not have the ability to ensure all individual components were tested prior to use. I'm sure they verify the parts aren't dead and measure correctly before assembly, but I would think a battery that discharges at a faster rate than it should might still test properly, but I am making an assumption there.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #10,345 of 16,326
  Have tried a full reset of this device. The only apps Battery Doctor show that were using power was the music app and Google music, which I think were on because I was playing music on the DP-X1. Didn't show anything else running.

10-12 hours is what I would expect. Have a Questyle player in addition to the DP-X1. That's about what I get from that device.

Maybe the Battery doctor is the problem.  I don't have any battery saving app installed and my unit last quite long even idle (with wifi turn on).

The Android system for dp-x1 is quite standard with almost no junk ware. So turning off notification of all apps should be enough.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #10,347 of 16,326

It is very possible the battery is defective, or some circuitry is faulty and drawing more power than it should. Are you going to get a replacement unit?

If the seller has a replacement unit and can test the battery for me before shipping, I'd love to have a new one. The SQ of this player is wonderful. Just don't want to have to be charging it every day since charging the player I have now takes forever.( Have to leave it overnight to get a full charge.)

What charger are you using? If you're charging off a computer's USB port, this could happen?
Please charge using a high amps wall-wart like iPad's charger and see if you're getting better run times.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #10,348 of 16,326
Hi, I state that I am not an expert but I ask you: is possible in SE thanks to an app exploit the 2 amp and dac 2 instead of 1?
And if you use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter with an unbalanced headphone and connect the 2.5-balanced not'll feel nothing?

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #10,349 of 16,326
  Hi, I state that I am not an expert but I ask you: is possible in SE thanks to an app exploit the 2 amp and dac 2 instead of 1?

Pitty, no.

And if you use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter with an unbalanced headphone and connect the 2.5-balanced not'll feel nothing?

Even worse - you can burn device due to shorting ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back