ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #10,291 of 16,326
I just called Onkyo US customer support about the wobbly headphone jacks.  The rep said they were aware of the issue and his advice was to return the unit to the dealer and wait a few month before getting another one.  Kind of disappointing because I really like the SQ on the unit.

So then I got the idea to compare the single ended jack on the Onkyo with the headphone jack on my ham rig, which I don't really consider has having a loose phone jack on.  Well, the jack on my Icom 7300 is considerably more wobbly than the DP-X1, but I guess the difference is the rig sits stationary on my desk while the DAP is moving around.  

I'm going to take my chances with the DP-X1 as-is.  I just like it too much.  Besides, some other shiny DAP will probably hit the market long before the jacks on it break loose from the pcb.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #10,294 of 16,326
  I just called Onkyo US customer support about the wobbly headphone jacks.  The rep said they were aware of the issue and his advice was to return the unit to the dealer and wait a few month before getting another one.  Kind of disappointing because I really like the SQ on the unit.

So then I got the idea to compare the single ended jack on the Onkyo with the headphone jack on my ham rig, which I don't really consider has having a loose phone jack on.  Well, the jack on my Icom 7300 is considerably more wobbly than the DP-X1, but I guess the difference is the rig sits stationary on my desk while the DAP is moving around.  

I'm going to take my chances with the DP-X1 as-is.  I just like it too much.  Besides, some other shiny DAP will probably hit the market long before the jacks on it break loose from the pcb.

Why wouldn't you do the simple and effective acrylic fix?

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #10,295 of 16,326
Why wouldn't you do the simple and effective acrylic fix?

I did the fix with JB Weld and am very pleased with the results. I masked the top of the jack and just gently pushed the jb into the space around the Jack's with a thin piece of plastic, waited the requisite drying and curing time and the Jack's are now solid. It certainly provides great peace of mind, knowing the Jack's not going to pull out. Highly recommended and thanks to all of you who posted how to do it.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #10,296 of 16,326
For all you people who are enjoying the DP-X1, which means to an extent how ONKYO tunes their sound, I have to tell you the new open backed A800 headphone from ONKYO is sick. Really impressive. Loving it with the iDSD Micro and looking forward to testing it with the HA2.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #10,297 of 16,326

Hi, If your jack is wobbly, please consider doing the acrylic or epoxy fixes posted in this thread. It is not like a desktop unit that doesn't really stress the jack. If your jack is loose it will keep straining the weak plastic housing and may well be on its way to breaking. Again, avoid the temptation of using glue, esp. superglue as you may just make more of a mess. The acrylic, epoxy fixes are quick if your careful. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #10,298 of 16,326
Just finished modifying one of my HiFiMan cables for balanced drive with the DP-X1. Previously, using the standard 3.5mm jack, the Onkyo really did not have enough juice to push my older HE-560s at volume. I had added a headphone amp, running the line out of the DP-X1 to the analog input on the headphone amp - with good results. But I did not like having to build a stack for this unit - so I endeavored to try out balanced drive.

The power and volume levels of native DP-X1 balanced drive vs. using my headphone amp with these phones is about the same - full volume is JUST over the comfortable listening level. But the balanced drive of the DP-X1 is far more articulate. The increased channel separation appears to be the primary factor.

My HE-560s are the older model with the screw-in SMC connectors, so finding cables was no fun at all - and a lot of what is out there is total snake oil and even the stuff that is not snake-oil is severely overpriced. The least expensive option I could find was to purchase the (stupid - why did they do this?) HiFiMan cable that has the screw-in SMCs at one end, a 1/4" stereo jack (um - duh) at the other, and a 4-pin XLR coupling in the center. So they provide a balanced drive cable (and call it one) and then hobble it completely at the amp end with a 3-pole plug. Amazing. I de-soldered the 4-wires from the 1/4" phone plug and soldered a high-quality 2.5mm TRRS plug in its place in AK/Onkyo/Fiio configuration. It was still an expensive solution for a cable - but by far the least expensive option of what was out there - and it sounds fantastic.

So IMO - if you have a set of HE-650s, the balanced drive of the DP-X1 is a good match.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #10,299 of 16,326
I did the same with my 400i (had balanced adapters made) and like you thought the results were pretty darn good.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #10,300 of 16,326
Got my DP-X1 from Crutchfield today and man I am disappointed. The sound keeps stopping whenever the headphone cable is moved ever so slightly. Something is definitely wrong with the headphone jack on mine. I don't have any balanced cables, and I have a KSE1500, USB out works, but I was more interested in using the Onkyo's DAC...This is going back on Monday.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #10,301 of 16,326
  Got my DP-X1 from Crutchfield today and man I am disappointed. The sound keeps stopping whenever the headphone cable is moved ever so slightly. Something is definitely wrong with the headphone jack on mine. I don't have any balanced cables, and I have a KSE1500, USB out works, but I was more interested in using the Onkyo's DAC...This is going back on Monday.

Wonder if you were shipped a returned unit? Speculating of course, but I don't think I have heard of a DOA yet, but I could be mistaken. Sorry about your luck, the DP-X1 is a gorgeous sounding DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back