ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #10,246 of 16,326
  Haha... Actually, I am almost crying. My device broke!
I installed the twrp recovery image and I was able to boot it.
I turned the device off and on again and I was able to boot the default system.
I inserted a SD card to make a backup of the default system but when I restarted the device to boot into twrp again, the screen went black and now it's doing nothing anymore. black. I have been holding the ******* power button since half an hour but it stays black. not even booting the bootloader.

hidehawk, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I really appreciate you posting your experience so that others can better judge the risks. I know that's a cold comfort to you right now. This must just be the worst!  I truly hope that sq3 can help you get it back up and running! 

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #10,248 of 16,326

Power button + previous track takes you to the bootloader. This is where you do the flashing.  Power button + next track takes you to whatever recovery you currently have installed.

FWIW, the flash .bat script both flashes the recovery image AND tells the device to reboot to the recovery partition.  The point of that is you can boot to a device image that you haven't already flashed to test it before committing to it.  But in this case, "power + next" from the off state should take you directly to the recovery partition.

Thank you so much, I tried the power button + next track button and it also takes me to the penguin,.. stays in the penguin, and nothing happens. I re-flash the TWRP using windows laptop (_flash.bat) and install the V4A, reboot the device and boom! there goes the TWRP menu (power button + next track)

Only one problem, the default onkyo music app hangs whenever I enable the V4P. The only solution is to enable the V4P first then play the music using the onkyo default app. Any solution for this issue? Thank you so much for your help.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #10,249 of 16,326

Try to install Battery doctor applet from google play. It will show what programs are draining mostly.
Are you shure that WiFi and Bluetooth are disconnected?

Make the last try.

Thanks for your suggestion. Have installed Battery Doctor as you suggested and will see if it continues to work. WiFi and Bluetooth are now disconnected. Battery Doctor shows I now have 24 hours remaining on battery (Not the same as what's shown on the DP-X1). Just hope this works. Thanks again! Hope I don't have to return this player as I love the sound!

Edit: Looks like I'll get about 6 hours on my last charge after adding Battery Doctor. Better, but still not that good. Am using HD800's. Do  they require so much power that they might drain the battery? Have no ides how these things work.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #10,251 of 16,326
any extra program that you install? did you enable google account sync for particular function?

i found my have all the google service sync enable when i first login google account on my dpx1. i have now disable all of them and the battery drain has been minimum...this is with the unit set to airplane mode..7 hours with 1 % drain..

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #10,252 of 16,326
  any extra program that you install? did you enable google account sync for particular function?

i found my have all the google service sync enable when i first login google account on my dpx1. i have now disable all of them and the battery drain has been minimum...this is with the unit set to airplane mode..7 hours with 1 % drain..

I installed VLC player, Foobar 2000 for Androind - much better sounding than native Onkyo player.
Bluetooth Pair - solves issues with bad native Onkyo Bluetooth connection.
Battery Doctor - for better battery charging and power management.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #10,253 of 16,326
Very rarely whenever i start to play music on my dp-x1 the right earpiece makes a VERY loud static like distortion noise that stops when i unplug the headphones. Does someone know what may cause this? Its happened on more than one headphone.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #10,254 of 16,326
I installed VLC player, Foobar 2000 for Androind - much better sounding than native Onkyo player.
Bluetooth Pair - solves issues with bad native Onkyo Bluetooth connection.
Battery Doctor - for better battery charging and power management.

I dont see how, with all dsp functions off, a music player itself could make a difference in the sound. Are you sure it isnt a placebo?

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #10,255 of 16,326
I dont see how, with all dsp functions off, a music player itself could make a difference in the sound. Are you sure it isnt a placebo?

Absolutely not a placebo. Each player software have own sound signature. EQ working more effective on VLC, Foobar have Maier crossfeed, etc.
Native Onkyo player lack of detail, depth, sparkle for me - first listening impression - dull. Even with high resolution 24/192 files. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #10,256 of 16,326
Absolutely not a placebo. Each player software have own sound signature. EQ working more effective on VLC, Foobar have Maier crossfeed, etc.
Native Onkyo player lack of detail, depth, sparkle for me - first listening impression - dull. Even with high resolution 24/192 files. 

Well if thats the case then ill need to find the music player with the most neutral sound signature. (That doesnt have craptastic ui like neutron). For now im using Poweramp.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #10,257 of 16,326
Well if thats the case then ill need to find the music player with the most neutral sound signature. (That doesnt have craptastic ui like neutron). For now im using Poweramp.

Try Foobar2000 for Android. Pitty, not full version (as for Windows - almost perfect) yet, but, I hope, coming soon.

Added : one problem - Foobar can't see second memory card. Trying to figure out how to solve it.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #10,258 of 16,326
I've seen the DP-X1 on a site called E-infinity.com for £489 (http://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/2899/onkyo_dp-x1_hi-res_sound_digital_audio_player_32gb_dac/amp_headphone). On Amazon, etc it's more like £700. My research suggests the site is legit but I'm shocked at the discrepancy in price and I'm naturally cynical. 

Can anyone confirm the site is legit? And if so, why the low price compared to UK outlets?

Thanks in advance. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger and buying this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back