ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #10,216 of 16,328

Thank you so much, one more thing,.. Can I update the DP-X1 after rooting the device? Specifically the system updates from onkyo. 

So, I haven't seen any updates come out since I rooted, so I don't know the answer.  There are several options:

1) The update checks for root, and refuses to install if you are rooted.

2) The update installs just fine, and leaves your root intact.

3) The update installs, but you lose your root.

If it refuses to install with root installed, you should be able to remove root, update, and then reroot.  If you lose root during the update, you should be able to reroot.  If you have custom recovery, you can always backup before update and the restore if there are any issues.  You can also reflash root from the custom recovery.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #10,217 of 16,328
  They aren't hi-res, but there was a set released in 2009 that was 24 bit / 44.1 kHz FLAC.  That's what I have, at least.

I definitely recommend getting the SuperSU binary and replacing kingroot binary if at all possible.  Simply because ChainFire's SuperSU is open-source and can be reviewed, while the kingroot is proprietary and has ads and possible privacy issues.  Fortunately, if you have custom recovery, you can simply flash a root zip from there and not worry about kingroot at all.

I am also on a Mac, and while compiling the custom recovery is almost impossible on a Mac (I had to do it on a linux vm), installing it should be very straightforward.  Just install android tools to get fastboot and adb, and download the recovery image.  It is easier on Windows with the included tools, but shouldn't be any moreso on a Mac, from my experience.

You only need those files if you are doing a custom recovery.  You don't technically need to do a custom recovery to do anything else.  You can install KingRoot, and then the other programs, and you'd be fine.  Custom recovery lets you back up the system and data partition fully and easily, to your SD card etc, and lets you install unsigned zip updates.  If you install the custom recovery, you can also easily flash a supersu zip and avoid KingRoot and its rooting process altogether.  You can also just as easily install the custom recovery and never root or otherwise touch the system files at all.  But having the custom recovery and making a full system backup makes it a lot safer to recovery in case you do something messed up.  With the custom recovery available, it drastically lowers the risk of doing anything catastrophically wrong with the device, as you can make and restore from backups if you mess anything up.  Of course, I still don't think that everybody should do it if they don't trust in themselves, but it's certainly not the bogeyman that many make it out to be.  As long as you have good device backups, you will not brick your device.  Hell, I have even flashed corrupted system ROMs and bad recovery partitions just to see what it would take to make my device unfixable.  I haven't found anything that reflashing known-good backup hasn't fixed.

Hi, just to chime in: You obviously know way more about this stuff than I do, but no matter how many different things I tried, I could not get Viper4Android to run–on the DPX1–without flashing xVortex's modded version through his TWRP. I won't bore you with all the different methods, different versions, and supplementary apps I tried. I could only get V4A to install, afterward, it would immediately crash without starting. I know I am not the only one who ran into this issue and got past it with xVortex's files.

So as far as I know, you do need these files. 

Again, this is as far as I know, and that is not far at all, so if you can take us further please do!

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #10,219 of 16,328
  So, I haven't seen any updates come out since I rooted, so I don't know the answer.  There are several options:

1) The update checks for root, and refuses to install if you are rooted.

2) The update installs just fine, and leaves your root intact.

3) The update installs, but you lose your root.

If it refuses to install with root installed, you should be able to remove root, update, and then reroot.  If you lose root during the update, you should be able to reroot.  If you have custom recovery, you can always backup before update and the restore if there are any issues.  You can also reflash root from the custom recovery.

Thank you so much,..

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #10,220 of 16,328
Hi, just to chime in: You obviously know way more about this stuff than I do, but no matter how many different things I tried, I could not get Viper4Android to run–on the DPX1–without flashing xVortex's modded version through his TWRP. I won't bore you with all the different methods, different versions, and supplementary apps I tried. I could only get V4A to install, afterward, it would immediately crash without starting. I know I am not the only one who ran into this issue and got past it with xVortex's files.

So as far as I know, you do need these files. 

Again, this is as far as I know, and that is not far at all, so if you can take us further please do!

You may certainly be right. I have installed V4A without flashing the XVortex files, but I do have a custom recovery installed and it may be easiest if you do flash the vortex files from the tarp he provided. In that case, you would need the files.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #10,221 of 16,328
  They aren't hi-res, but there was a set released in 2009 that was 24 bit / 44.1 kHz FLAC.  That's what I have, at least.

I definitely recommend getting the SuperSU binary and replacing kingroot binary if at all possible.  Simply because ChainFire's SuperSU is open-source and can be reviewed, while the kingroot is proprietary and has ads and possible privacy issues.  Fortunately, if you have custom recovery, you can simply flash a root zip from there and not worry about kingroot at all.

I am also on a Mac, and while compiling the custom recovery is almost impossible on a Mac (I had to do it on a linux vm), installing it should be very straightforward.  Just install android tools to get fastboot and adb, and download the recovery image.  It is easier on Windows with the included tools, but shouldn't be any moreso on a Mac, from my experience.

You only need those files if you are doing a custom recovery.  You don't technically need to do a custom recovery to do anything else.  You can install KingRoot, and then the other programs, and you'd be fine.  Custom recovery lets you back up the system and data partition fully and easily, to your SD card etc, and lets you install unsigned zip updates.  If you install the custom recovery, you can also easily flash a supersu zip and avoid KingRoot and its rooting process altogether.  You can also just as easily install the custom recovery and never root or otherwise touch the system files at all.  But having the custom recovery and making a full system backup makes it a lot safer to recovery in case you do something messed up.  With the custom recovery available, it drastically lowers the risk of doing anything catastrophically wrong with the device, as you can make and restore from backups if you mess anything up.  Of course, I still don't think that everybody should do it if they don't trust in themselves, but it's certainly not the bogeyman that many make it out to be.  As long as you have good device backups, you will not brick your device.  Hell, I have even flashed corrupted system ROMs and bad recovery partitions just to see what it would take to make my device unfixable.  I haven't found anything that reflashing known-good backup hasn't fixed.

Thank you for your reply, the last time I root a android device was 3 years ago... I really don't trust myself right now in doing this process, but I might root the device this weekend.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #10,223 of 16,328
Depends on your headphones. I'm listening to the Beatles 24bit balanced with AKG 701's at a 135 setting. Perfect!

Balanced K701
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #10,224 of 16,328

Bass is tight and more treble extension when using line out mode of DP-X1 to 3.5mm input of ifi iDSD. I think it's because i'm using the DP-X1 dac rather than the iDSD dac.

Right. Most people will prefer the dp-x1's Sabre dac.

Recently I tested a desktop dac which I think does not match to dp-x1's Sabre dac.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #10,225 of 16,328
  Sorry I read that there is a problem with the update?
I'm no expert and dp x1 I get next week, I can update it easily or not?
Thank you.

If you mean update for native X1 software - it is easy and the same as for smartphone - just go to google play, find Music Onkyo - and update.
Just my opinion - Onkyo player sounds bad for me and I am using VLC and Foobar.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #10,230 of 16,328
Because edwardsean posted the following installation instructions:

Viper4Android:
[Once your devices is rooted and you have xVortex’s TWRP installed, use TWRP to install and flash xVortex’s V4A for DPX1]
https://mega.nz/#!1pUBkSxA!G1F2oGx5pcoKj8ROqXVh-luOyRV5KDSlwVzorJuTHB0

and he also posted

As far as i know, none of the general instructions for installing V4A will work for the DPX1. You need to use xVortex’s files.

That's why I assumed you might have modified the code to work with the DPX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back