ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 14, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #10,231 of 16,326
  Because edwardsean posted the following installation instructions:

and he also posted

That's why I assumed you might have modified the code to work with the DPX1.

Hi. I apologize if I caused any confusion. Only xVortex can clarify whether the files he gave me were modified or not.

All I know is that I, along with others, tried the standard installers and they didn't work. So, I was trying to save others time and a few headaches. The files I got from xVortex worked like a charm. 

The instructions I posted have links to the standard methods and general files as well. If you want to go that route and they work out I would be sincerely glad for you. Please report back to us if you get the regular files to work, as that would be helpful to others. 

At any rate, I'm glad to know people are trying it out, because sitting with it for a few weeks now, I still remain very impressed with V4A. All the best to you who are exploring rooting. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #10,232 of 16,326

Hi, I have already done these steps:

1. Root the device using Kingroot  
2. Install xVortex TWRP for DP-X1
    (backup done using TWRP)
3. Install busybox from Playstore.
4. Download SElinux apk and install

How do I go back to TWRP and install/flash V4A?
Pressing Power and Previous button Simultaneously takes me to the Penguin.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #10,234 of 16,326
Thank you edwardsean, xvortex and everybody else for your efforts.

I am preparing to do the rooting according to your descriptions but wanted to be sure to get things rolled back correctly, if something happened during the process.

So first I called the local Onkyo service center in my city and asked if they were able to reinstall the original ROMs in case I broke something. And they confirmed it is possible, they have the firmware on site, so the device would not need to be sent to japan, but they are not allowed to hand it out. They would charge me for 1,5 h hours at rate of 60 EUR/h.
Maybe this information is helpfull for someone who still has some doubts.

I still have some questions on the rooting process.

The general approach seems to be:

1. Root with Kingroot
2. Flash TRWP from xvortex
3. Backup your device with TRWP
4. Optionally replace Kingroot with SuperSU to get rid of the chinese bloatware
5. Install SELinux and Busybox
6. Install V4A (from xvortex?)

This brings up following questions:

1. Why Kingroot? According to TRWP the recovery image can be flashed without being root. So it would be better to flash the image first, because you would be able to make a backup before using the spooky chinese software
2. Maybe you can install SuperSU from TRWP directly, without using kingroot at all. Does someone has experiences with that?
3. What kind of V4A version is? https://mega.nz/#!1pUBkSxA!G1F2oGx5pcoKj8ROqXVh-luOyRV5KDSlwVzorJuTHB0
Why is it the only version that seems to work? Are there any customizations?

Besides of being able to use V4A I have the following plans with the rooted device:

- I would like to develop a power saving feature that turns off the device completly after the audio device has been idle for some time. Many times I caught myself pressing the pause button, intending to keep on listening but I wouldn't. So the battery gets unnecessarily drained.
- I would like to be able to use the Onkyo as bluetooth headset to answer a call from my phone while I am listening to music. So I wouldn't need to change my headphones.

If someone has already achieved one of these features or wants to cooperate with me for the development or has some more features in mind, I would appreciate you to share it with me.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #10,235 of 16,326
H

Hi, I have already done these steps:

1. Root the device using Kingroot  
2. Install xVortex TWRP for DP-X1
    (backup done using TWRP)
3. Install busybox from Playstore.
4. Download SElinux apk and install

How do I go back to TWRP and install/flash V4A?
Pressing Power and Previous button Simultaneously takes me to the Penguin.

How did you run TWRP the first time, when you did the backup?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #10,236 of 16,326
  H

How did you run TWRP the first time, when you did the backup?

I pressed the power button + previous track button (waited for the penguin) then plugged the USB on the device and ran the _flash.bat from the downloaded files, it takes me to the TWRP interface and made the backup.

I've already installed Viper4Android using the same method. Disregard my previous post.

I would like to know on how to boot on TWRP instead of the penguin, do I always need a computer + the files in order to boot on TWRP?

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #10,239 of 16,326

I would like to know on how to boot on TWRP instead of the penguin, do I always need a computer + the files in order to boot on TWRP?

Power button + previous track takes you to the bootloader. This is where you do the flashing.  Power button + next track takes you to whatever recovery you currently have installed.

FWIW, the flash .bat script both flashes the recovery image AND tells the device to reboot to the recovery partition.  The point of that is you can boot to a device image that you haven't already flashed to test it before committing to it.  But in this case, "power + next" from the off state should take you directly to the recovery partition.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #10,240 of 16,326
Still having problems with my DP-X1. The battery completely drains after three hours of use. Am using it strictly for playing music from my micro sd cards. Not sure if something else is running on it. I've tried to shut down all other apps but I'm not sure something is still running that is using up the power. Has anyone else had this problem? Just want to see if I can fix this preoblem before I return it to the seller. Thanks.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #10,242 of 16,326
Haha... Actually, I am almost crying. My device broke!
I installed the twrp recovery image and I was able to boot it.
I turned the device off and on again and I was able to boot the default system.
I inserted a SD card to make a backup of the default system but when I restarted the device to boot into twrp again, the screen went black and now it's doing nothing anymore. black. I have been holding the ******* power button since half an hour but it stays black. not even booting the bootloader.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #10,243 of 16,326
  Haha... Actually, I am almost crying. My device broke!
I installed the twrp recovery image and I was able to boot it.
I turned the device off and on again and I was able to boot the default system.
I inserted a SD card to make a backup of the default system but when I restarted the device to boot into twrp again, the screen went black and now it's doing nothing anymore. black. I have been holding the ******* power button since half an hour but it stays black. not even booting the bootloader.

Send me a PM and I can help you troubleshoot. I don't want to clutter this thread with the debugging help.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #10,244 of 16,326
  Still having problems with my DP-X1. The battery completely drains after three hours of use. Am using it strictly for playing music from my micro sd cards. Not sure if something else is running on it. I've tried to shut down all other apps but I'm not sure something is still running that is using up the power. Has anyone else had this problem? Just want to see if I can fix this preoblem before I return it to the seller. Thanks.

Try to install Battery doctor applet from google play. It will show what programs are draining mostly.
Are you shure that WiFi and Bluetooth are disconnected?

Make the last try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back