ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 27, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #9,706 of 16,326
  Since my original DP-X1 seller did not have any in stock, they just refunded me the money. So, I decided to buy the Pioneer XDP-100R instead for $500 as I have no need for the balanced outputs. I'm still staying subscribed to this thread though because you guys, especially TheOneInYellow, are awesome, and also because the 100R is essentially the same as the X1 barring the balanced output.

Anyways I know that the lock range adjust, digital filter, and upsampling mode change the sound, but can anyone explain HOW they change the sound, and how the different subsettings are different e.g. digital filter with sharp, slow, and short settings? Thanks!

As for design, they are both awesome but I prefer the side buttons on the Pioneer as the power button is a bigger size, and the play/pause button has a little bump on it, so it's easier to distinguish the buttons by feel as opposed to the Onkyo's same-sized buttons.

Now, if only there were a Dignis case for the Pioneer...

No problem.  All the streaming music goodie are there.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #9,710 of 16,326
Since my original DP-X1 seller did not have any in stock, they just refunded me the money. So, I decided to buy the Pioneer XDP-100R instead for $500 as I have no need for the balanced outputs. I'm still staying subscribed to this thread though because you guys, especially TheOneInYellow, are awesome, and also because the 100R is essentially the same as the X1 barring the balanced output.

Anyways I know that the lock range adjust, digital filter, and upsampling mode change the sound, but can anyone explain HOW they change the sound, and how the different subsettings are different e.g. digital filter with sharp, slow, and short settings? Thanks!

As for design, they are both awesome but I prefer the side buttons on the Pioneer as the power button is a bigger size, and the play/pause button has a little bump on it, so it's easier to distinguish the buttons by feel as opposed to the Onkyo's same-sized buttons.

Now, if only there were a Dignis case for the Pioneer...
[/quote
Man, thank you for the praise HoodedHoodlum! <3

Glad you are enjoying one of the O&P Innovations devices (also glad someone else used O&P Innovations in discussion ha ha ha!).

As for the case, Dignis Design did make one for XDP-100R, and it's called...Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case!

You see, almost any cases for one device works for the other (as long as you remove the XDP-100R bumpers).
There may be potential issues but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

This is also true for the, er, Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case...yeah...that case... -_-

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #9,712 of 16,326
[Posted news over on Pioneer XDP-100R thread here, but reposting in this thread due to significance of news itself]:

BIG NEWS

Pioneer, under O&P Innovations, has made a huge firmware/app software update that has changed how powerful the Pioneer XDP-100R will now be.
Link to TechRadar source here.

TechRadar already wrote a pretty good review of the XDP-100R, but at the time were concerned over the players' resolving power.
With the new update, that concern has now been squashed, and the DAP has been elevated: '...for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today.'

Here is the full extract of the updated section of the review regarding the new update:

Update:
Our main issue with the otherwise excellent Pioneer XDP-100R was the fact that its actual output was pretty weak. You had to have the discrete volume control pushed up to almost the maximum to be able to hear it clearly out in the wild.

Originally the volume had been limited in line with certain legislation, but with one of the latest system updates Pioneer has introduced a feature called 'variable line-out' which unlocks the full power of the XDP-100R's output.

The feature has been pushed out to existing models and just needs to be turned on in the system settings and the device rebooted. And from then on you can power high-end headphones and high-res audio tracks to ear-bleeding volumes.

Nice.

The sort of high-quality headphones you'll want to run with the Pioneer's high-quality innards need a greater output than standard cans, and the HRA tracks the XDP-100R loves to play also deserve a little extra volume too.

We've been testing the new feature for a while now and, for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today. It's also a great sign the engineers are still working on ways to make it even better.

Roll on MQA…

I hope that the Onkyo DP-X1 also receives this update, but for Pioneer XDP-100R guys and gals, go enjoy the higher output power on your hungry cans!

^^

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #9,713 of 16,326
[Posted news over on Pioneer XDP-100R thread here, but reposting in this thread due to significance of news itself]:

BIG NEWS

Pioneer, under O&P Innovations, has made a huge firmware/app software update that has changed how powerful the Pioneer XDP-100R will now be.

TechRadar already wrote a pretty good review of the XDP-100R, but at the time were concerned over the players' resolving power.
With the new update, that concern has now been squashed, and the DAP has been elevated: '...for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today.'

Here is the full extract of the updated section of the review regarding the new update:
I hope that the Onkyo DP-X1 also receives this update, but for Pioneer XDP-100R guys and gals, go enjoy the higher output power on your hungry cans!

^^

That sounds like a globally applied EU volume limit was lifted and it would only restore the available power the amp had in the first place I suspect which correct me if I'm wrong, would not benefit the DP-X1 which was not artificially constrained in power anyway, it already taps 100% of the amp(s).

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #9,714 of 16,326

BIG NEWS

^^

Both Pioneer and Onkyo have this VLO option since at least a month. I did tested both and they had it.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #9,715 of 16,326
Bump!

I have read that the sonic signature of the DP-X1 is rather "thin" in the sub-bass range, as well as the mid-range/upper mid-range frequencies.  Can anyone who has used the device weigh in on this sonic quality, as well as if the on board EQ can effectively ameliorate this observed "thinness"...as I prefer a relatively robust bass range as well as a lush mid-range.

Thank you for your input!

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #9,716 of 16,326
That sounds like a globally applied EU volume limit was lifted and it would only restore the available power the amp had in the first place I suspect which correct me if I'm wrong, would not benefit the DP-X1 which was not artificially constrained in power anyway, it already taps 100% of the amp(s).

Both Pioneer and Onkyo have this VLO option since at least a month. I did tested both and they had it.

Ok, nevermind, but it's cool that the info is out there mainstream ^^

Yeah I never had the volume limiter issue, or hadn't checked in settings if it could potentially go any higher.
Obviously, I had the update and I maxed the limiter ha ha ha.

It's still good news anyway.

The more that both units get promoted mainstream, the better!

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #9,717 of 16,326
  Bump!

I have read that the sonic signature of the DP-X1 is rather "thin" in the sub-bass range, as well as the mid-range/upper mid-range frequencies.  Can anyone who has used the device weigh in on this sonic quality, as well as if the on board EQ can effectively ameliorate this observed "thinness"...as I prefer a relatively robust bass range as well as a lush mid-range.

I certainly did not find it thin at all. Not to mention, the majority of music (unless it is EDM or electronica) doesn't have a great deal of high amplitude sub bass information anyway, at least in my experience. So even if the DP-X1 isn't emphasizing the sub bass frequencies I wonder how much you would be losing anyway? I would think a little EQ boost would help, but I recall that the EQ as it is implemented isn't really very good beyond modest boosts as it can introduce distortion. That was something discussed in the thread here quite a bit, but personally I never used the EQ with the DP-X1 when I had it some I'm not speaking from first-hand experience.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #9,718 of 16,326
Ok, nevermind, but it's cool that the info is out there mainstream ^^

Yeah I never had the volume limiter issue, or hadn't checked in settings if it could potentially go any higher.
Obviously, I had the update and I maxed the limiter ha ha ha.

It's still good news anyway.

The more that both units get promoted mainstream, the better!

You need to turn it on to cancel EU limitation. Try searching your settings.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #9,719 of 16,326
Bump!

Just being honest, the reason no one has yet to reply is because your question is far too vague.

Thinness would imply a reference to something else.
For example, if all you ate was one type of cheese only, and you never tried any other cheeses, you cannot then say it tastes better or worse than other cheeses without first eating them.

So, who said that that region was thin-sounding, what equipment was used, what DAP did they refer too?

Only then can a meaning reply be made that will help you.

Regarding EQ, as I don't use it (only digital filters), I'll allow others to help you on that.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #9,720 of 16,326
You need to turn it on to cancel EU limitation. Try searching your settings.

Yep, found it, already turned on, yay for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back