ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #9,737 of 16,328
First, thank you!

Second, erm...

I'm not a spokesperson for Onkyo, I use my contacts to help this community as best as I can.

In regards with tapping your screen to turn on, well, that's complicated; most modern smartphones have a bevy of sensors, of which some are used in conjunction to turn a screen on via a tap (see this link of typical sensors).

Some screens also don't fully turn off, just use a black screen overlay whilst display is still on.

Thus, I am unsure if the LCD screen on the DP-X1 could ever be tapped on, but I'll ask my contact anyway (no promises on any results).

^^

Great idea and much easier to wake up screen.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #9,738 of 16,328
  I certainly did not find it thin at all. Not to mention, the majority of music (unless it is EDM or electronica) doesn't have a great deal of high amplitude sub bass information anyway, at least in my experience. So even if the DP-X1 isn't emphasizing the sub bass frequencies I wonder how much you would be losing anyway? I would think a little EQ boost would help, but I recall that the EQ as it is implemented isn't really very good beyond modest boosts as it can introduce distortion. That was something discussed in the thread here quite a bit, but personally I never used the EQ with the DP-X1 when I had it some I'm not speaking from first-hand experience.

Native app EQ workings as filter, so not much use and help from it. In this case (from 80 I was DJ and have bad habit to control all music :) I use VLC with much better equalization.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #9,739 of 16,328
  S
Anyways I know that the lock range adjust, digital filter, and upsampling mode change the sound, but can anyone explain HOW they change the sound, and how the different subsettings are different e.g. digital filter with sharp, slow, and short settings? Thanks!

Digital filters affect roll off of responce - audio signal curve. More about it you can find there:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/642-audiolab-q-dac-filters-.html?showall=1

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #9,742 of 16,328
  Dear Sonic Defender and TheOneInYellow:

Your collective points are well taken regarding the "flat"/non-eq'd ONKYO DP-X1's sound signature...no specific reference DAP equals no valid comparison...and as it was several days ago that I was doing my initial research regarding the DP-X1 as a potential DAP purchase when I encountered the writer's expressed concerns regarding said DAP, I cannot recall which user I noted, nor do I recall if (s)he specified another unit as a reference point, (curve?...).  

My preferred listening frequency curve tends to look/sound like that of the Sennheiser HD-650's/circa 2007, (warm/lush lower mid-range/mid-range), and/or the Audeze LCD-2's/pre-fazor, (relatively strong sub/deep bass), (ideally incorporating both the LCD 2's bass and the Hd-650's midrange), driven in balanced mode by a Schiit Audio chain of an Yggdrasil D/A converter and Ragnarok amplifier for what it is worth...   However 

I am quite unlikely to be playing those headphones with the DP-X1, (or any other DAP for that matter), such that, for at least the reasonable future, I might be driving a pair of V-MODA M-100's with said DAP...and would like to know how THAT combination might sound relative to MY ideal sonic reference...

I did note after doing some additional research on this thread that there were indeed more than a few expressed concerns that the DP-X1's EQ system does not seem to "scale well" relative to several other DAP models...however, I am not attempting to turn the Onkyo model into a "bass cannon", but simply to perhaps better emulate the sonic signatures of some rather well thought of headphones...

If amplifying the frequency ranges that I would prefer to be a little bit stronger might cause digital(?) distortion due to relatively minimal digital headroom, how much sonic degradation might I experience by simply reducing the levels of those frequency ranges surrounding those ranges of which I want to hear more...Would I experience a very significant reduction in signal to noise levels, or some other form of distortion...?...

I am still genuinely interested in this DAP, (it has MUCH to offer), and am simply looking for viable solutions to what may, or may not be a concern...your input is valued!

Thank You

Peace

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #9,744 of 16,328

This works - Power button to volume button app.

Tried it this way: listen to music in stand alone, screen off. Turn volume control screen comes back on.

Let screen time out - turn vol control and screen comes on.

Now I have my wonderful Dignis case I hope I never have to use the power button again!

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #9,745 of 16,328
  Dear Sonic Defender and TheOneInYellow:

Your collective points are well taken regarding the "flat"/non-eq'd ONKYO DP-X1's sound signature...no specific reference DAP equals no valid comparison...and as it was several days ago that I was doing my initial research regarding the DP-X1 as a potential DAP purchase when I encountered the writer's expressed concerns regarding said DAP, I cannot recall which user I noted, nor do I recall if (s)he specified another unit as a reference point, (curve?...).  

My preferred listening frequency curve tends to look/sound like that of the Sennheiser HD-650's/circa 2007, (warm/lush lower mid-range/mid-range), and/or the Audeze LCD-2's/pre-fazor, (relatively strong sub/deep bass), (ideally incorporating both the LCD 2's bass and the Hd-650's midrange), driven in balanced mode by a Schiit Audio chain of an Yggdrasil D/A converter and Ragnarok amplifier for what it is worth...   However 

I am quite unlikely to be playing those headphones with the DP-X1, (or any other DAP for that matter), such that, for at least the reasonable future, I might be driving a pair of V-MODA M-100's with said DAP...and would like to know how THAT combination might sound relative to MY ideal sonic reference...

I did note after doing some additional research on this thread that there were indeed more than a few expressed concerns that the DP-X1's EQ system does not seem to "scale well" relative to several other DAP models...however, I am not attempting to turn the Onkyo model into a "bass cannon", but simply to perhaps better emulate the sonic signatures of some rather well thought of headphones...

If amplifying the frequency ranges that I would prefer to be a little bit stronger might cause digital(?) distortion due to relatively minimal digital headroom, how much sonic degradation might I experience by simply reducing the levels of those frequency ranges surrounding those ranges of which I want to hear more...Would I experience a very significant reduction in signal to noise levels, or some other form of distortion...?...

I am still genuinely interested in this DAP, (it has MUCH to offer), and am simply looking for viable solutions to what may, or may not be a concern...your input is valued!

Thank You

Peace

Hi..for me the DPX1 really excel with the IDSD with the he500 for bass and k7xx for mids..
The Idsd is really awesome with the dpx1 but the battery depletes so fast with the DOP high precision 2.8 mhz Dsf play..

Maybe mine is lemon unit ( lasted 40 ~ 45 minutes only)..

But the sound produced by this combo is totally awesome..everything hightened and enhanced..the imaging, separation, details and dynamics greatly improve..

1 word : phenomenal

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #9,746 of 16,328
Dear TheOneInYellow,
thanks for all your inputs,well thoughts  and contribution to this audiophile community, I would like to ask you  to request Onkyo to develop an app for tap tap on and off to wake up the DP-X1 so that we may not worn out the main power button quickly ( hardware- main power button to on and off),and more than that I do not find any app that really works in the google play store.tips... Sony and LG mobile phones have this function just tap tap  2 or 3 times and the screen wakes up easily.Thanks in advance because you have direct contact with Onkyo and you are good at it and thanks 

So pleased with this I'm posting it twice! None of the many Taptap apps I have tried work to my satisfaction but this
does:

This works - Power button to volume button app.

Tried it this way: listen to music in stand alone, screen off. Turn volume control screen comes back on.

Let screen time out - turn vol control and screen comes on.

Now I have my wonderful Dignis case I hope I never have to use the power button again!

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #9,747 of 16,328
@Synergist969, frankly I would get a lovely headphone such as the Oppo PM3 as Sabloke mentioned, and that is what I used almost exclusively with the DP-X1. I did have a balanced cable made as I wanted the extra power, but I don't recall needing it. Another serious contender solution would be to consider Rooting the DP-X1 and using Viper For Android which provides an excellent global EQ. The Rooting route is of course the most difficult, but I think a few have done so with the DP-X1. Still, just get a yummy, warmish headphone that is easy to drive and you will really enjoy the DP-X1.

Sorry to have not addressed your direct question. I haven't heard an M100 in quite some time. I did own an M80 and XS, and based on faint memory of the M100 I would think it a solid headphone to pair with the DP-X1, assuming it is easy enough to drive, which I also believe is the case. Save for a PM3, excellent warmish signature with plenty of bass and lovely mids.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #9,748 of 16,328
Dear Samut, Sabloke AND Sonic Defender:

Thank you for your input, I appreciate you using a reference to which I can relate...this certainly assists me in understanding...perhaps then this DAB might be a good choice...and I will certainly consider alternatives to the M-100's I currently use for portable/mobile applications...any other suggestions would be most welcome as well...

Peace

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #9,749 of 16,328
Hello i am from hong kong and my english is bad.:smiley:

Can anyone tell the difference between the 2.5 balanced of the x1 and the ak series?(in term of the spec & the performance)

I did try the 2.5 of the x1 and i love it. Then the seller told ne that the spec of it and the ak's are different.

If any, Which one is preferred?

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #9,750 of 16,328
Hello i am from hong kong and my english is bad.:smiley:

Can anyone tell the difference between the 2.5 balanced of the x1 and the ak series?(in term of the spec & the performance)

I did try the 2.5 of the x1 and i love it. Then the seller told ne that the spec of it and the ak's are different.

If any, Which one is preferred?

Glad to see someone from Hong Kong posting here~

The most different tech of X1 to the AK series is the ACG mode

It uses one AMP chip for grounding to produce a cleaner sound

Just my 2 cents 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back