ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 18, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #8,416 of 16,326
The Android "problem" is that you basically have to pick a sample rate and stick with it. On the FiiO X7 that rate is 44.1kHz, on the DP-X1 it's 192kHz.

The FiiO X7 has its dedicated player program that, whatever its shortcomings, does allow the X7 to play music of all supported sample rates natively.

But I don't think the audio artifacts of the DP-X1 using third party programs is the result of resampling, and even if it were, it doesn't follow that resampling necessarily introduces artifacts. For example, (notwithstanding all the other problems the X7 has) resampling 48kHz audio on current X7 firmware to 44.1kHz on third party player apps doesn't introduce any audible artifacts.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 18, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #8,418 of 16,326
the discussion is technical I did not understand sorry, in your opinion between the two dap who sounds more warm and natural?

You can't really ask that question of me, of all people... :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 18, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #8,419 of 16,326
the discussion is technical I did not understand sorry, in your opinion between the two dap who sounds more warm and natural?

DP-X1 SE compare to X7 with AM1. Headphones are ATH-M50X, Fidelio X2 and VE Monk. Both device use low gain.

Vocal - Fiio is thicker and smoother with no sibilance. Onkyo vocal is a little bit thin and has a sibilance in some records. Matching is very important here. Some headphones won't go well with Onkyo. But some will do a magic.
Bass - Onkyo has a bigger bass and nice impact. However, Fiio's bass is faster and tigher. Both is excellent in this area.
High - Onkyo has higher peak to my ears, make sibilance happen in some tracks. Fiio's high is nice and soften compare to Onkyo.
Details - Both has very nice details. No winner here.
Soundstage - Onkyo is a little bit wider. In fact it is a DAP with widest soundstage I've ever heard.
3D - Fiio is a winner here. Excellent in layer and depth. Very surrounding sound.
Seperation - Not much different. X7 is a little bit better with more 3D sound.

Summary - Fiio is more musical, listen to Fiio make you feel like you are a part of the crowd watching concert. Just enjoy it. Onkyo sound is more analytical, make you feel like sitting at the comfortable chair listening the orchresta. Enjoy the details of it and analyze all of the instruments playing.

Just my 2 cents. And sorry for my bad English.

May 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,420 of 16,326
DP-X1 SE compare to X7 with AM1. Headphones are ATH-M50X, Fidelio X2 and VE Monk. Both device use low gain.

Vocal - Fiio is thicker and smoother with no sibilance. Onkyo vocal is a little bit thin and has a sibilance in some records. Matching is very important here. Some headphones won't go well with Onkyo. But some will do a magic.
Bass - Onkyo has a bigger bass and nice impact. However, Fiio's bass is faster and tigher. Both is excellent in this area.
High - Onkyo has higher peak to my ears, make sibilance happen in some tracks. Fiio's high is nice and soften compare to Onkyo.
Details - Both has very nice details. No winner here.
Soundstage - Onkyo is a little bit wider. In fact it is a DAP with widest soundstage I've ever heard.
3D - Fiio is a winner here. Excellent in layer and depth. Very surrounding sound.
Seperation - Not much different. X7 is a little bit better with more 3D sound.

Summary - Fiio is more musical, listen to Fiio make you feel like you are a part of the crowd watching concert. Just enjoy it. Onkyo sound is more analytical, make you feel like sitting at the comfortable chair listening the orchresta. Enjoy the details of it and analyze all of the instruments playing.

Just my 2 cents. And sorry for my bad English.

Excellent review thank you so much !!! but have you tried them personally onkyo and fiio?
Who do you think would go best with headphones grado sr 225th by the dynamic sound but a little cold?
Thank you.

May 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #8,421 of 16,326
I think this is hardware issue not due to android resampling. Because you can play eg 192kHz at 192 which I don't think would be the case if it was the android problem.

I wrote an e-mail to Onkyo International and got a replay from them:

'Dear Guy,

Thank you for your enquiry.

a. When listening via headphone jack that master clock is set at 48k,
44.1k or its multiples(88.2, 176.4) will up to its 48k counterparts (96k, 192k respecitvely).
The MicroUSB can output the clock as is 44.1 and its multiples will output at their same clock.

b. Via headphone jack will be converted to PCM 192kHz,
For DSD Native please use the microUSB output.'

So in order to output 44.1k multiple and DSD native correctly, one has to invest a external DAC and connect via microUSB.

May 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #8,422 of 16,326
Excellent review thank you so much !!! but have you tried them personally onkyo and fiio?

Who do you think would go best with headphones grado sr 225th by the dynamic sound but a little cold?

Thank you.

Yes, I listen both of them. Owned DP-X1 for 3 months and now X7 is my current DAP. Both DAPs have its own strength.

Sorry, I just briefly tried SR225 a year ago and can't remember its sound signature, so I can't answer your question. Maybe someone who have this pair of headphones could tell you about its synnergy with DP-X1.

May 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #8,423 of 16,326

I wrote an e-mail to Onkyo International and got a replay from them:

'Dear Guy,

Thank you for your enquiry.

a. When listening via headphone jack that master clock is set at 48k,
44.1k or its multiples(88.2, 176.4) will up to its 48k counterparts (96k, 192k respecitvely).
The MicroUSB can output the clock as is 44.1 and its multiples will output at their same clock.

b. Via headphone jack will be converted to PCM 192kHz,
For DSD Native please use the microUSB output.'

So in order to output 44.1k multiple and DSD native correctly, one has to invest a external DAC and connect via microUSB.

That's rather disappointing to hear.

And if Onkyo have punted to the degree that their built-in player isn't even working around the limitations of native Android audio, then I'm willing to bet the up-sampling that's going on is using the standard Android up-samplers too.

So put some nice audio electronics in the unit, then ham-string them with a half-assed software implementation ...

May 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,424 of 16,326

That's rather disappointing to hear.

And if Onkyo have punted to the degree that their built-in player isn't even working around the limitations of native Android audio, then I'm willing to bet the up-sampling that's going on is using the standard Android up-samplers too.

So put some nice audio electronics in the unit, then ham-string them with a half-assed software implementation ...

May 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #8,425 of 16,326
Yes, I listen both of them. Owned DP-X1 for 3 months and now X7 is my current DAP. Both DAPs have its own strength.

Sorry, I just briefly tried SR225 a year ago and can't remember its sound signature, so I can't answer your question. Maybe someone who have this pair of headphones could tell you about its synnergy with DP-X1.

But which of the two you liked the most? Who did you think warmer and detailed?

May 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #8,426 of 16,326
Try unticking the use nuplayer option in developer settings, I've done this in all my phone's and now the do-x1 and have none of the playback problems people are reporting

Unfortunately, this did not do the trick for me. Anybody else find a way to fix the Tidal playback issues or are we basically waiting on Tidal? It's too bad because this is otherwise a perfect all-in-one portable streaming solution with the PM-3 balanced.

May 18, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,429 of 16,326
Can any android phones play hi-red?

May 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #8,430 of 16,326
  Why would anyone connect the DP-X1 to an external DAC/AMP like the Mojo? Is there any difference from just using the Mojo with a regular Android phone at that point? What's the point of using a $700+ device to bypass its DAC?

It's from the opposite perspective. Mojo or any other portable DAC/AMP combo is useless without a source so those folks (including myself) start looking at DAPs and smartphones purely for a digital music transport. When you look at OTG capable DAPs with 2 SD slots running Android, the list is rather short. However, if you need only 1 memory slot, then yes a smartphone will do just fine. I've tried using a smartphone myself and it is a major PITA having to connect/disconnect the stack plus you have to put the phone in airplane mode to avoid RFI so you miss phone calls and texts. At least for me, using a smartphone is not practical. My DP-X1 stays connected and stacked to my ALO CDM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back