ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #8,431 of 16,326
Why would anyone connect the DP-X1 to an external DAC/AMP like the Mojo? Is there any difference from just using the Mojo with a regular Android phone at that point? What's the point of using a $700+ device to bypass its DAC?

It might be personal preference. I do own a Mojo and DP-X1 but never have an idea of connecting the twos to get a better listening SQ since I think the balanced output with ACG of DP-X1 would satisfy my taste already. It does not hurt to try by I have never done it.

May 18, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,432 of 16,326

It's from the opposite perspective. Mojo or any other portable DAC/AMP combo is useless without a source so those folks (including myself) start looking at DAPs and smartphones purely for a digital music transport. When you look at OTG capable DAPs with 2 SD slots running Android, the list is rather short. However, if you need only 1 memory slot, then yes a smartphone will do just fine. I've tried using a smartphone myself and it is a major PITA having to connect/disconnect the stack plus you have to put the phone in airplane mode to avoid RFI so you miss phone calls and texts. At least for me, using a smartphone is not practical. My DP-X1 stays connected and stacked to my ALO CDM.

Thanks for your reply. You can get a cheap android phone for like $15 on ebay.  The only valid reason I would agree with is that extra memory slot and perhaps the fast processor. For several years, I stacked my smartphone with my Apex Glacier DAC/AMP. That thing worked great but every 1-2 months the USB cord would become loose and I'd have to replace it. I probably spent $200 replacing Micro USB OTG male to male cables. Also, the usb input on my phone loosened over time. For me, stacking devices was very frustrating and constantly breaking. Of course, this all changed with the all in one DP-X1!

May 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #8,433 of 16,326
I just spent some time looking into the data sheets of the ES9018K2M Sabre DAC found in this device.  From what I can tell, it should support native DSD as well as sample rates of 44.1, 88.2, etc.  I don't know why there'd have to be a software conversion of the DSD to PCM, or why we'd have to resample to a multiple of 48k, unless there's some upstream limitation that I'm overlooking.  As long as the chip is wired up appropriately, we may *theoretically* be able to get those sample rates back and possibly even native DSD with a firmware update.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, of course.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

May 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #8,434 of 16,326
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1248202&gclid=CjwKEAjwpfC5BRCT1sKW2qzwqE0SJABkKFKRB2oCJxEMHLndQHZ6X2Q9ihERBPt1uMHLKogUPZMsjhoC9ojw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&Q=&A=details

You can preorder the DPX1 for $800 now from B&H. I wonder if this is the US version.

May 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #8,435 of 16,326
  I just spent some time looking into the data sheets of the ES9018K2M Sabre DAC found in this device.  From what I can tell, it should support native DSD as well as sample rates of 44.1, 88.2, etc.  I don't know why there'd have to be a software conversion of the DSD to PCM, or why we'd have to resample to a multiple of 48k, unless there's some upstream limitation that I'm overlooking.  As long as the chip is wired up appropriately, we may *theoretically* be able to get those sample rates back and possibly even native DSD with a firmware update.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, of course.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

It's not particularly complicated ... and the short version is ... Onkyo half-assed the software side of things.

May 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8,436 of 16,326
Well, I've had my Onkyo for a few days and decided I prefer my Sony zx2 paired with Shure se846s a little better and have decided to sell the x1. Just didn't like it's sound signature. I'm not hating on it. I have to say it's definitely more transparent, but it sounds to sterile for me if that makes sense. The music app was also a little buggy. I'd often have to hit play a few times before music would finally start playing. The wifi and Bluetooth are also a little on the weak side, dropping connection all the time (making it hard to stream dependably while at home). I've done all of the suggestions on here (read all of 8400 posts, lol) but nothing works. Jacks aren't loose but there is a large gap to one side of the 2.5. If anyone is interested please message me. I'll be putting it up in the classifieds soon. Also prefer local pickup in the Phoenix area. Don't trust PayPal or any of the like.

Edit: it's in obviously brand new condition with all the accessories. I'm expecting the tempered glass screen protector to be arriving soon so I'll include that, as well as, one 128gig microsd card. It's imported from Japan and there's a a specific "no take backsies" policy there.

May 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #8,438 of 16,326
I pretty much only pair my Mojo with the DP, but that is pretty much because of the storage. It is kind of a pain to stack though. Most of the time I just prefer the balanced out of the DP.

​I've tried it with the mojo also.  I didn't think it brought that much more to the sound for the price.  The balanced output of the X1 is almost as good as the mojo.  I have the X1 paired with a creative E5 amp, with it's DAC bypassed, most of the time because the E5 cleans up the Spotify noise problem, and it has a great EQ for Spotify or any player.  It's also one of the best bass amp out right now for IEM's.  The E5 is also Bluetooth so it's a little more convenient to carry.

I really like the sound of the balanced out of the X1, but the E5 brings the bass to a new level.   

May 18, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #8,439 of 16,326
d0319d660a8f1f2d984ae70e17b79dc0.jpg

New color of Dignis Luno is coming :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #8,440 of 16,326
  But which of the two you liked the most? Who did you think warmer and detailed?

X7 suit my taste better. DP-X1 vocal is too thin and has sibilance with my headphones, that's why I sold it. Among those two DAPs Onkyo is warmer. Both have excellent details.

May 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #8,442 of 16,326
Can someone help explain the utility of uapp over the native only one music player? Is one using the dedicated dac's while th either isn't? I'm not using s separate sac at the m0ment. Just curious, thanks!

Also, anyone having album art issues with Alac? None of my art is showing up. Thanks!

May 18, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #8,443 of 16,326
My 5 cents:

Music (the default app):  more transparent, more sound stage, hear every little detail

Neutron (my preferred for vocal):  tube amp like, vocal is forward and concentrated, instrument detail is less, vocal is thicker

foobar2000 (fb2000 is newly released):  balance sound, vocal not as forward as Neutron, bass is good

Poweramp alpha (not publicly released version, require a lot of fine tuning):  its sound change by tuning so give it a try

May 18, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #8,444 of 16,326
  X7 suit my taste better. DP-X1 vocal is too thin and has sibilance with my headphones, that's why I sold it. Among those two DAPs Onkyo is warmer. Both have excellent details.

Reizei, Hi. I'm going to pick up an X7 once the balanced module comes out. I'm trying to decide between the DP-X1 and X7 too. 

You said they are about equal in detail, but that the Onkyo is warmer. I would've thought if the vocals were thin and it had sibilance that would mean that the Onkyo is brighter than the X7.

Could you verify which one you think is brighter with more treble, and which one is warmer with more mid and mid-bass? 

Thanks!

May 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #8,445 of 16,326

That's rather disappointing to hear.

And if Onkyo have punted to the degree that their built-in player isn't even working around the limitations of native Android audio, then I'm willing to bet the up-sampling that's going on is using the standard Android up-samplers too.

So put some nice audio electronics in the unit, then ham-string them with a half-assed software implementation ...

When compared with Fiio X7, they can bypass the SRC(Sampling Rate Converter) in android OS and output in native form. Therefore it can support whatever multiple PCM sampling as well as DSD native (DSD is actually 44.1k x 64 = 2.822MHz). I hope it is just a firmware and the player software updates otherwise this is a player I'm looking to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back