ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #7,831 of 16,326
So Onkyo have inflicted us with a crap 2.5mm connector on the DP-X1 and they aren't even providing a 2.5mm cable with their new range of headphones 
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #7,832 of 16,326
So Onkyo have inflicted us with a crap 2.5mm connector on the DP-X1 and they aren't even providing a 2.5mm cable with their new range of headphones 
rolleyes.gif

Did yours break to? I have not even tried mine in Balanced yet. If mine does break I will just send it in for warranty as I really do like this player overall. Hopefully they will step up and find a solution, and they should extend the warranty for the 2.5mm socket.

May 1, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #7,833 of 16,326
Did yours break to? I have not even tried mine in Balanced yet. If mine does break I will just send it in for warranty as I really do like this player overall. Hopefully they will step up and find a solution, and they should extend the warranty for the 2.5mm socket.

No, I've flooded the headphone socket gaps on mine with J-B Weld "world's strongest bond" epoxy 
smile.gif

Not as neat (or reversible) as other suggested options but they certainly won't be going anywhere.

Even without the specific design flaws on the DP-X1 the 2.5mm connector is a weak and poor performing connector that has no redeeming features whatsoever.

A&K made a daft decision to use it and ever other manufacturer appears to be following sheeplike, rather than using something good like a mini-XLR for their balanced connections.

As A&K owners have more money than sense anyway, I'm sure they'd have been happy to upgrade their cables if they were choosing to upgrade their players 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #7,835 of 16,326
2.5 TRRS on the dp-x1 gotta be specially made

I am not sure if this is a question, or a statement.

The 2.5 TRRS is standard on JH Audio IEM's.  You can get most aftermarket cables made with the 2.5mm TRRS.  I have 2 identical Moon Audio Black Dragon cables for my IEM's.  One 3.5mm for when I use my creative E5 amp, and the 2.5mm TRRS for balanced out of the X1.

May 1, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #7,836 of 16,326
Whitigir may have been referring to the need to have 2.5mm cables specially made for the Onkyo 'phones.

AFAIK all 2.5mm TRRS implementations have been the same so cables are interchangeable between devices.

May 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #7,837 of 16,326
  Whitigir may have been referring to the need to have 2.5mm cables specially made for the Onkyo 'phones.

AFAIK all 2.5mm TRRS implementations have been the same so cables are interchangeable between devices.

Ah, that makes sense.  I wasn't sure if he was asking a question.  I didn't know about onkyo IEM's lacking the 2.5.

May 1, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #7,839 of 16,326
For me its dramatic, SE to LCD-2's = okay BAL to LCD-2's = awesome no other amp required. ACG is definitely better for Vinyl Rips (DSF 5.6MHZ);  I use KORG KOR-DSDAC10R from DP-300F with 3m RED to DSF. Anyway off the subject a little but for hi-res rips ACG or Bal 2.5mm is atleast 2x better. I bought a 3.5mm from 2.5mm from amazon and output it to a cayin c5 for anything less of a resolution. Again this is for 1000+ open ended headphones not certain about IEM's.
  What difference can one expect in SQ from a single ESS SABRE 9018 DAC and the Onkyo's DUAL ESS SABRE 9018 DACs?

May 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #7,841 of 16,326
  What difference can one expect in SQ from a single ESS SABRE 9018 DAC and the Onkyo's DUAL ESS SABRE 9018 DACs?

None, certainly not audible. Now to add to this comment, the idea that the balanced design yields a difference isn't what I'm talking about, but that would be due to more power not the extra DAC chip, and possibly a little cleaner power with ACG (although I'm really not sure the noise floor was ever audible anyway even in SE).

May 1, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #7,842 of 16,326
can I connect headphones to balanced out and how it usually works?
As long as they are balanced headphones and you have a 2.5mm termination they will work

May 1, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,844 of 16,326
  None, certainly not audible. Now to add to this comment, the idea that the balanced design yields a difference isn't what I'm talking about, but that would be due to more power not the extra DAC chip, and possibly a little cleaner power with ACG (although I'm really not sure the noise floor was ever audible anyway even in SE).

Glad you edited that as I was going to suggest the original short post was factually correct but potentially misleading (although the OP you were responding to was far from clear either).

I believe it is the additional power, and to a lesser extent the additional channel separation, that makes the difference with the balanced output on the DP-X1.

I still don't fully understand how AGC works but in situations like this I trust to my subconscious mind and I find myself drawn to this mode, rather than full balanced, on headphones where the additional power is not needed. Whether I could positively identify the difference in a volume-matched ABX test I'm not certain.

May 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #7,845 of 16,326

Glad you edited that as I was going to suggest the original short post was factually correct but potentially misleading (although the OP you were responding to was far from clear either).

I believe it is the additional power, and to a lesser extent the additional channel separation, that makes the difference with the balanced output on the DP-X1.

I still don't fully understand how AGC works but in situations like this I trust to my subconscious mind and I find myself drawn to this mode, rather than full balanced, on headphones where the additional power is not needed. Whether I could positively identify the difference in a volume-matched ABX test I'm not certain.

I also used ACG, but I really couldn't say whether or not the power of suggestion was at play, but like you, and it seems most here who use it, ACG did seem to sound better. My real point was the notion of using an extra DAC is not likely going to play much of part at all, and technically speaking why would it? There would have to be some very significant noise issues somehow solved by an extra DAC section. As I always point out/ask/suggest/whatever, is that measureable doesn't mean audible. Even if there is a tiny fraction of noise or increased separation provided via a second DAC chip, does anybody really think those tiny, tiny differences are audible overtop of music being played? I guess it could be possible, but that would require the single DAC implementation to be terribly flawed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back