ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #7,846 of 16,326
  I also used ACG, but I really couldn't say whether or not the power of suggestion was at play, but like you, and it seems most here who use it, ACG did seem to sound better. My real point was the notion of using an extra DAC is not likely going to play much of part at all, and technically speaking why would it? There would have to be some very significant noise issues somehow solved by an extra DAC section. As I always point out/ask/suggest/whatever, is that measureable doesn't mean audible. Even if there is a tiny fraction of noise or increased separation provided via a second DAC chip, does anybody really think those tiny, tiny differences are audible overtop of music being played? I guess it could be possible, but that would require the single DAC implementation to be terribly flawed.

I agree entirely 
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #7,847 of 16,326
  None, certainly not audible. Now to add to this comment, the idea that the balanced design yields a difference isn't what I'm talking about, but that would be due to more power not the extra DAC chip, and possibly a little cleaner power with ACG (although I'm really not sure the noise floor was ever audible anyway even in SE).

Thats responds to my question. Thanks alot.

May 1, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #7,849 of 16,326
I have never tried the balance output, what you mean is it provides more power and a clear background only which is audible?
If yes, is it worth the price? Since the player is a bit expensive than other 3.5 player and the extra cable.

Well, the improvements are certainly noticable. However, if such thing is deemed worthy ? Is in the eyes of the beholder :D.

May 2, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #7,850 of 16,326
I have never tried the balance output, what you mean is it provides more power and a clear background only which is audible?
If yes, is it worth the price? Since the player is a bit expensive than other 3.5 player and the extra cable.

This question, though often posed recently, was a dilemma met by many here when deciding between the Pioneer XDP-100R which was readily available or getting the Onkyo DP-X1 which was newly released, as an import from somewhere like Price Japan.

The decision for myself and many came down to the total costs for example Pioneer DXP-100R was £499 in the UK and the Onkyo DP-X1 including duty etc, cost me £528. Many others were lucky and did not pay any customs or VAT so got an even better deal.

When faced with these options basically a choice on price many chose the DP-X1 as often many were able to buy for less than the XDP-100R and gave them the option at a later date to go the Balanced/ACG route.

I also had IEM that could be converted via removable cables to 2.5mm TRRS so again not too difficult a choice for me to make.

But your criteria may well differ from others here.

May 2, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #7,852 of 16,326

what is output power of ONKYO DP-X1 and is it the same if to compare with iBasso DX80?

Onkyo is 75mW SE and 150mW Balanced. DX80 is 260mW

Overall I believe the player is worth the price, compared against the other options available. I don't believe anyone should select the Onkyo because of the balanced output, there are other SE options that are as good or better. However if the overall package of features makes one choose the Onkyo, then they should make use of the balanced output as otherwise they are not getting the full benefit of the player's capability and quality.

May 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #7,853 of 16,326
  This question, though often posed recently, was a dilemma met by many here when deciding between the Pioneer XDP-100R which was readily available or getting the Onkyo DP-X1 which was newly released, as an import from somewhere like Price Japan.

The decision for myself and many came down to the total costs for example Pioneer DXP-100R was £499 in the UK and the Onkyo DP-X1 including duty etc, cost me £528. Many others were lucky and did not pay any customs or VAT so got an even better deal.

When faced with these options basically a choice on price many chose the DP-X1 as often many were able to buy for less than the XDP-100R and gave them the option at a later date to go the Balanced/ACG route.

I also had IEM that could be converted via removable cables to 2.5mm TRRS so again not too difficult a choice for me to make.

But your criteria may well differ from others here.

DP-X1 cost £475 in my city and the 100R cost £396, seems it is cheaper than your country and it should be more worthy in this case.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #7,856 of 16,326
  DP-X1 cost £475 in my city and the 100R cost £396, seems it is cheaper than your country and it should be more worthy in this case.
tongue.gif

Grab either one at those prices

L3000.gif

PS Do these quoted prices above include TAX?

May 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #7,858 of 16,326
100r is £500 in the UK

If the dp-X1 is ever released in the UK (and advancedmp3 players will not be stocking it) it is likely to retail nearer £600 than £500 given that it has 2 dacs and 2 amps compared to one in the 100r

Yeah hence why I bit the bullet and purchased via PriceJapan
I can see the DP-X1 being marketed at nearer £600 in the UK for exactly the reasons you point out

May 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7,860 of 16,326
Yeah hence why I bit the bullet and purchased via PriceJapan

I can see the DP-X1 being marketed at nearer £600 in the UK for exactly the reasons you point out

The reported problems with the dp-X1 2.5mm socket in this and other forums (see "what will the ibasso dx200 look like" for example) is putting me off: if I had to send it back under warranty I'd rather it were to a uk distributor....

So I'm going to wait for the dx200 or (and I am an impatient guy!) I could pull the trigger on the Fiio,X7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back