ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 17, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7,337 of 16,326
Have you checked the Meze 99 Classic?

Or Oppo PM3's!

I found the Oppos a little bass heavy when I listened to them briefly at a show, although perhaps I should try and spend more time with them. 

From what I've read of the Meze 99 I would expect it to have a similar signature.

They are both beautiful 'phones, the Meze in particular.

I'm leaning towards the second edition Beyer T5p at the moment if I can get them at a decent discount from RRP. 

To tide me over in the meantime I bought a pair of Beyer DT150 for £80 new. I cannot believe how great these sound for the price and the DP-X1 drives them brilliantly. I modded them slightly to remove the insane 6-pin connector and replace it with a 3.5mm TRRS jack. They are still butt ugly though. I wear them on the train but even with zero vanity whatsoever, I can't bring myself to wear them walking around in public 
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #7,339 of 16,326
I appreciate your response. Other than the DP-X1 which I have not bought yet, I have no equipment that can reproduce DSD256 files or MQA files
Now I know that I can use the DP-X1 with headphones Balanced or not
But if I want to output that sound thru my Hi-Fi system, I know that I can output thru the 3.5 output in line out mode
But I wanted to see if I could get better sound on my Hi-Fi system if I did a digital USB output from the DP-X1 to my Oppo 105
But I probably misunderstood a few things
Again any responses appreciated

Also has anyone done any extended auditions of MQA files on the DP-X1. Your impressions please

+1 on MQA impression please anyone... if it is that good it will seal my purchase of the DP-X1, tqvm

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #7,340 of 16,326
+1 on MQA impression please anyone... if it is that good it will seal my purchase of the DP-X1, tqvm

There's very little material available at the moment and none that I am personally familiar with in other formats.

Some of the demo stuff I've listened to has sounded impressive but a well recorded 'conventional' version may have been just as impressive. 

However it turns out I'll still be buying my most important music in a physical format 
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #7,342 of 16,326

There's very little material available at the moment and none that I am personally familiar with in other formats.

Some of the demo stuff I've listened to has sounded impressive but a well recorded 'conventional' version may have been just as impressive. 

However it turns out I'll still be buying my most important music in a physical format 
smile.gif

MQA is definitely better than AAC and it is very good at classical music which is demanding.

Dear Peridot and addyg, thank you for sharing your experiences, I presume you were listening via the DP-X1? 

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #7,343 of 16,326
  do you guys know where i can purchase an US version of DP-X1? Is it out for US market?

Thank you 

Yes, from Amazon, ships out of Onkyo, CA.  Here is link, since it is difficult to find on Amazon because Onkyo's price is not the lowest.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWLQ1AY?m=A1OU29AMUFF9TS&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

I met with Onkyo yesterday at Chicago's AXPONA (audio expo) and listened to the DP-X1 for awhile.  Their market rep had to email me the link since I couldn't find it.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #7,346 of 16,326

I found the Oppos a little bass heavy when I listened to them briefly at a show, although perhaps I should try and spend more time with them. 

From what I've read of the Meze 99 I would expect it to have a similar signature.

They are both beautiful 'phones, the Meze in particular.

I'm leaning towards the second edition Beyer T5p at the moment if I can get them at a decent discount from RRP. 

To tide me over in the meantime I bought a pair of Beyer DT150 for £80 new. I cannot believe how great these sound for the price and the DP-X1 drives them brilliantly. I modded them slightly to remove the insane 6-pin connector and replace it with a 3.5mm TRRS jack. They are still butt ugly though. I wear them on the train but even with zero vanity whatsoever, I can't bring myself to wear them walking around in public 
redface.gif

T5p.2 and onkyo are an awesome combination imho, I'm only expecting it to get better once I get my balanced cable.

Just a thought; the amount I spent on buying and returning various headphones (mostly shipping costs) would probably be equal to quoter of the price I paid for T5p if not more. If only I could audition them earlier.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #7,347 of 16,326
Fostex FTW!! TH900 are very special.

Saw dp-x1 on Amazon for $720, free shipping. Not bad. I'm going to make that order this week. Can't go wrong with Amazon.

Yes and yes, love Amazon as they know how to take care of their customers and the TH 900 was indeed amazing. I had a D7000 first, then a TH 900 and now I have a TH 600 inbound from Texas. Hopefully by next Monday it will arrive if customs don't grab it. When I purchased the D7000 from a Florida member it got stuck at the border for almost 10 days if I remember. Man did that kill me waiting for it.

Edit: okay that is creepy that this post number for me has 666 in it!

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #7,348 of 16,326
Could someone help me on this ? Just got my new CIEM and the DP-X1 lately and there's a little problem that occurs.

I found that whenever I am playing 24/96 (upsampled) WAVs there will be a small "di-di-di-di-di-di-di-crack" sound repeatedly throughout the whole song (don't really know how to describe that noise
confused_face.gif
 ). It only happens to the right ear IEM and I'm getting annoyed by this (left IEM is working fine). 

But for all other files (e.g. 16/44.1, DSD 64.. etc) the problem doesn't exist. Not sure if it is a problem of my IEM or a problem with the DP-X1 playing 24/96 upsampled WAVs. 

Tried testing this on many tracks and would appreciate any help ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #7,349 of 16,326
  Could someone help me on this ? Just got my new CIEM and the DP-X1 lately and there's a little problem that occurs.

I found that whenever I am playing 24/96 (upsampled) WAVs there will be a small "di-di-di-di-di-di-di-crack" sound repeatedly throughout the whole song (don't really know how to describe that noise
confused_face.gif
 ). It only happens to the right ear IEM and I'm getting annoyed by this. 

But for all other files (e.g. 16/44.1, DSD 64.. etc) the problem doesn't exist. Not sure if it is a problem of my IEM or a problem with the DP-X1 playing 24/96 upsampled WAVs. 

Appreciate any help ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I get that from time to time. Not you IEM -- it's the Music app. Something gets out of sync.  Click on the square soft button on the bottom right.  That will bring up the app switcher.  Scroll to the Music app and then swipe it to the right side of the screen to close it.  Reopen the music app and play the file again.  Slight software issue, I think.  I get it in both ears, actually. It isn't the file and it isn't the headphones.  It's not even really the hardware.  It's the software interacting with the hardware being wonky.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #7,350 of 16,326

I found that whenever I am playing 24/96 (upsampled) WAVs there will be a small "di-di-di-di-di-di-di-crack" sound repeatedly throughout the whole song (don't really know how to describe that noise :confused_face:  ). It only happens to the right ear IEM and I'm getting annoyed by this (left IEM is working fine). 

Tried testing this on many tracks and would appreciate any help ! :)  

I got that too, on my right side. I found out after updated the latest music app, the 1.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back