ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 8, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #6,961 of 16,326
  Woo Hoo It's HERE!!!
deadhorse.gif

Sweet! Hopefully we can get an unboxing in English so I can understand it.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #6,963 of 16,326
Will the DP-X1 be available in Europe soon ? 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #6,964 of 16,326
Would you mind posting pics? Could you elaborate ? Did you put the suguru around the entire circumference ? How deep and how many layers?

I tried taking pictures but since I used black sugru it just shows a black "ring" surround the socket, not any different to an unmodified setup.

I just took a tiny amount of sugru and rolled it into 1mm strings. I then plugged the cable into to have a "lever" and seal the hole. I carefully laid the sugru strings around the socket and pushed into the gap as good as possible. It's been a few week, so I can't tell for sure if I only did one layer, but that's what I recall. Using the 2.5mm plug I straightened the socket just a tiny bit before I squeezed in some sugru. It's hard to tell, but I don't think the sugru layer was any bigger/deeper than a small o-ring, say 1mm. The next day I trimmed off the excess with a scalpel. The TRRS socket is now solid and I have to apply quite a bit of pressure to move it sideways (not that did that more than one :))

Hope that helps.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #6,965 of 16,326
Sweet! Hopefully we can get an unboxing in English so I can understand it.

Erm, al the Onkyo DP-X1 units have, from what I understand, identical packaging, as well as English, Japanese, French, etc instructions.

Take a look at my box (from my Japanese replacement unit):

So where you see the Japanese barcode on the top right-hand side, that's a sticker. Thus Onkyo changes just this sticker for each country of distribution of these units.
Cheap and ergonomic!

Just for those interested, yes I'm listening to Nine Inch Nails 'The Downward Spiral' in DSD, taken from my Hybrid SACD and DSD layer ripped via a friends PS3 years ago:

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #6,967 of 16,326
I tried taking pictures but since I used black sugru it just shows a black "ring" surround the socket, not any different to an unmodified setup.

I just took a tiny amount of sugru and rolled it into 1mm strings. I then plugged the cable into to have a "lever" and seal the hole. I carefully laid the sugru strings around the socket and pushed into the gap as good as possible. It's been a few week, so I can't tell for sure if I only did one layer, but that's what I recall. Using the 2.5mm plug I straightened the socket just a tiny bit before I squeezed in some sugru. It's hard to tell, but I don't think the sugru layer was any bigger/deeper than a small o-ring, say 1mm. The next day I trimmed off the excess with a scalpel. The TRRS socket is now solid and I have to apply quite a bit of pressure to move it sideways (not that did that more than one :))

Hope that helps.

Good job! At least you have done some thing to help it. Suguru can be easily removed, if warranty is needed. However, beside the socket being bad, I really don't see anything else would give soon on the DP-X1

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #6,968 of 16,326
Good job! At least you have done some thing to help it. Suguru can be easily removed, if warranty is needed. However, beside the socket being bad, I really don't see anything else would give soon on the DP-X1

Actually, when I had to send my unit back to PJ for warranty repair I wasn't able to remove all of the Sugru surrounding the Jack. It's just that you can only scrape so much out of the small gap as your tool will get stuck. I was a little worried, but since I used black Sugru is was literally invisible and I didn't have any problem with the warranty exchange

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #6,969 of 16,326
I just did 2 serious accidental durability tests on the balanced output of my new X1.  My IEM able got caught on a door handle twice and ripped out the headphone plug.  Thankfully, everything is fine, but I thought I was going to be sending back my unit already.  Honestly if it didn't get damaged during that test, I am not too worried. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #6,970 of 16,326
  I just did 2 serious accidental durability tests on the balanced output of my new X1.  My IEM able got caught on a door handle twice and ripped out the headphone plug.  Thankfully, everything is fine, but I thought I was going to be sending back my unit already.  Honestly if it didn't get damaged during that test, I am not too worried. 

LOL, I think the second day I had my DP-X1 it fell out of a robe pocket, pulled so hard that the headphone cable plugged into the 2.5mm jack got yanked out really hard, the X1 crashed to the floor (carpet luckily) and like you no worse for the wear.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #6,971 of 16,326
If the 'phone sockets are not jigged to be central in casing holes when being soldered to the PCB then the offsets reported by users may occur.

To start forcing the sockets to be more central in the holes puts a strain on the soldering and then failure may occur.

Leave well alone and enjoy the music!

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #6,973 of 16,326
This for sale yet?

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #6,975 of 16,326
Yeah just realized it's not official, will be waiting patiently for release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back