ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 9, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #6,991 of 16,328
  Well you need to read it again as there multiple people returning them for the 2.5 and 3.5mm sockets falling out!

I believe it was two people, and while there is no doubt the jacks are less than perfect, and certainly not up to the level of the other components on the DP-X1, the jack issue still seems to be fairly rare, at least of a serious magnitude.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #6,992 of 16,328
Although my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's are excellent at micro details, and pretty decent in slam, the mere fact that the Audeze EL8 Titanium is so utterly organic as a whole has had me having loads of goosebumps.

Was listening to Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral Hybrid SACD ripped into DSD and I very nearly jumped when I thought something was behind me.
That's not a joke, I nearly spilled my tea!

I'm having a most satisfying experience with my Onkyo DP-X1, Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's, Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones, and balanced Double Helix Cables ^^

I have no issues with DSD playback via the Onkyo Music player, which controls how .dsf files are recognised and played back.
As I do not know which third party app players have added the protocol to give then access to the Onkyo dual ESS DAC section, I've not tried any other apps. I enjoy the Onkyo Music app immensely.
I'm down!

I should add that I use the official Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case with my unit. So if you create such vinyl skins I hope they are thin enough so that when I'm out and about, I can use the leather case, and at home or somewhere sitting down, take the case off and show off the vinyl wrap ^^

So, we just finished our prototype skin. Sorry if i still have the OEM screen protector.  Waiting for my wife to bring me my Tampered Glass screen protector from Korea. 

Still waiting for my 3D printer to finish the mold so I can make my own soft polymer translucent case. Still waiting for my connectors so i can finish my balanced cable for my PM1.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #6,997 of 16,328
Does not sound very attractive power wise

That is ran for 12 hours continuously and still has 45% battery life?!? Wish my iPhone was capable of such feats, it's out of battery as soon as I start trying to watch videos it seems like.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #6,998 of 16,328
I believe it was two people, and while there is no doubt the jacks are less than perfect, and certainly not up to the level of the other components on the DP-X1, the jack issue still seems to be fairly rare, at least of a serious magnitude.

And you have to understand Korea or China DAP vendors and their associated representatives are now very desperate after long domination with almost rediculous high profit margin.

I am happy with X1 not just because of the music quality (it is far from perfect as I mentioned in previous posts), it sets a standard that everyone can enjoy good quality music with reasonable hardware and hopefully more willing to pay for the software. (Of course Onkyo music is also the driving force behind)

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #6,999 of 16,328

So, we just finished our prototype skin. Sorry if i still have the OEM screen protector.  Waiting for my wife to bring me my Tampered Glass screen protector from Korea. 

Still waiting for my 3D printer to finish the mold so I can make my own soft polymer translucent case. Still waiting for my connectors so i can finish my balanced cable for my PM1.

Looks awesome!!! I have the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 case and I think it's b**tugly. Count me in if you ever make enough

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #7,000 of 16,328

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but a local retailer started selling these, and after 10 orders, they had a 50% RMA rate (a few for jack problems, some couldn't read SD cards etc.) needless to say, they stopped selling it in a month.

Now I cannot disagree that this is a great sounding player when used balanced or on ACG, and I am really Glad that most of you folks aren't getting any problems, but I think a 50% RMA rate is quite a nightmare, sure that group is likely to be larger than average, but still, it's a big enough risk to me :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #7,001 of 16,328
Looks great!

Any plans of solid colors also? Probably offer like 5 colors (max) for us to choose would sound nice ideally.

Quote:

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #7,002 of 16,328
Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but a local retailer started selling these, and after 10 orders, they had a 50% RMA rate (a few for jack problems, some couldn't read SD cards etc.) needless to say, they stopped selling it in a month.

Now I cannot disagree that this is a great sounding player when used balanced or on ACG, and I am really Glad that most of you folks aren't getting any problems, but I think a 50% RMA rate is quite a nightmare, sure that group is likely to be larger than average, but still, it's a big enough risk to me
smily_headphones1.gif

There would certainly be something very unique about that group. Those failure numbers should be echoed here, and while there have been issues, nothing even remotely like 50%. I also can't recall any SD card issues, so that might be people who didn't have a clue what they were doing or perhaps there were even a defective SD card in the mix? Still, I take your point and despite not having enough information about the particulars of those RMAs your local shop had, it does seem like a bad batch is also possible. Who knows.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #7,004 of 16,328
Wow, lots of new posts (yay), and of course some bandwagon hyperbolic misconstrued misinformation.

Woo

First, yes some Onkyo DP-X1 units have had issues, but they number very small and almost seem to be a batch issue.
I should add that I am the only person who has reported a particular fault on my first Onkyo DP-X1 unit that NO ONE ELSE has had (direct info from Onkyo Japan regarding my warranty claim).
My issue wasn't related to jack issue but that I could not output music via 3.5 mm SE output as my unit was stuck in permanent balanced mode from an internal circuitry fault. This was a real hardware fault.
Thus I must be excluded from users who reported faults from jacks, especially 2.5 mm jacks.
It was upsetting yes, but as this has not reared it's ugly head anywhere else, then my issue is a fluke that was resolved by Onkyo JP.

In regards to 2.5 mm TRRS output jack, yes it may have been weaker on some some units DP-X1. I am extra careful when I use that connector jack but everything seems to be ok on my brand new replacement unit.

When talking about failure rates, faults, or issues, please be accurate in what you post, or mention that you heard of issues but are unsure yourself.
Posting information with no source in your post, then extrapolating that info as truth, is not what this community represents.
We are here to help each other, so let's do that.
Thanks.

To talk about the elephant in the room, is investing into the Onkyo DP-X1 a risk?
As the unit can only be imported from Japan (via other sellers, including certain sellers on Amazon), and with anything you import, YES, it is a risk.
I took took such a risk, but my issues were resolved by my my seller from Japan.

Is the risk of failure enough to be of concern? MAYBE, YMMV. Every unit can have issues, but a small percentage of users have reported various problems, including myself.
The question should be that is it worth the hassle? You see most issues reported by users were, one way or another, RESOLVED (of course I am referring to users who have fed back to this community). For me, the the Onkyo DP-X1 is without peer with its rich list of features and price point. Other players are better than DP-X1 in certain areas, but the DP-X1 is more than a jack-of-all-trades, it masters some of those trades too; it is the only player that is balanced in its long list of features against performance and cost, and that is unique to it and it alone in my opinion. So for me, yes, risk and hassle was and is worth it.
However, you may feel differently, and if that is the case, don't import and wait for official Western release, reviews, etc.

OMG that looks SWEET! WANT!

However, some requests; if you were to build one for me in the future (after details are sorted privately, of course), I would like the original top silver plate (jacks area) to remain as is, and either engrave Onkyo in the same place as the logo name is on the back of the DP-X1, or allow the original name to show through.

Thank you ^^

Looks awesome!!! I have the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 case and I think it's b**tugly. Count me in if you ever make enough

I like the DPA-PUX1 personally as it is is slim, though the thicker Dignis one is far more professional looking.

And yeah these skins are amazing, but they are just wraps, not a case.
Just letting you know.

What colour skin would you choose if there was a choice?

There would certainly be something very unique about that group. Those failure numbers should be echoed here, and while there have been issues, nothing even remotely like 50%. I also can't recall any SD card issues, so that might be people who didn't have a clue what they were doing or perhaps there were even a defective SD card in the mix? Still, I take your point and despite not having enough information about the particulars of those RMAs your local shop had, it does seem like a bad batch is also possible. Who knows.

I covered some of this in my opening paragraphs.
Figures like these without hard evidence is useless, and takes away from the point of what the original poster was trying to get at.

If the shop has had high failure rates, then the questions should be:
When did they order and stock that batch of DP-X1 units?
Over how long of a period was the faults being reported?
What was the outcome of affected users?
Source?
And similar questions.

We must be vigilant in what we post so can be fair.
Opinions are fine as long as they are stated as such.

Edit:
Fixed autocorrect issues, I hope...

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #7,005 of 16,328

Now I cannot disagree that this is a great sounding player when used balanced or on ACG, and I am really Glad that most of you folks aren't getting any problems, but I think a 50% RMA rate is quite a nightmare, sure that group is likely to be larger than average, but still, it's a big enough risk to me :)

Do you mind if I ask where you're located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back