ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #7,006 of 16,328
@theoneinyellow

So your replacement seems to be more robust then your original? This was my original post question. I'm looking at getting one of these as well, I have a Onkyo stereo that's probably older then a lot of the people on here. I'm sure they will have a solution to permanently fix there QA problem.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #7,007 of 16,328
@theoneinyellow

So your replacement seems to be more robust then your original? This was my original post question. I'm looking at getting one of these as well, I have a Onkyo stereo that's probably older then a lot of the people on here. I'm sure they will have a solution to permanently fix there QA problem.

In summary, OMG YES!

However, if you really want to be on the safe side, wait for official international release.

Or...sit there seething whilst I enjoy my DP-X1 in balanced AGC mode...he he he

:p

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #7,008 of 16,328

To talk about the elephant in the room, is investing into the Onkyo DP-X1 a risk?
As the unit can only be imported from Japan (via other sellers, including certain sellers on Amazon), and with anything you import, YES, it is a risk.
I took took such a risk, but my issues were resolved by my my seller from Japan.

It seems as though both Amazon.com and Onkyo are selling the DP-X1 shipped from the US as we speak.  The DP-X1 is listed in ONKYO USA's Amazon storefront:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&merchant=A1OU29AMUFF9TS

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #7,010 of 16,328
Somebody should start a poll thread to see what users here on Headfi have noticed. I had one problem but it was software related, got rid of the extra music player I had loaded, not needed anyway, and no further issues.

Quite happy with mine, I really think I get better sound out of ACG then out of my AK120II balanced.
No hardware issues what so ever.  Bought in February off of a seller on Amazon Japan, new stock.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #7,011 of 16,328
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #7,012 of 16,328
OH MY GOOD GOD EVERYBODY GIVE @majormajor HUGS!

That's HUGE!

Everybody get your wallets out NOW!

Sweet, hugs!  Also, consider my wallet now empty... 
beyersmile.png

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #7,014 of 16,328
Do you mind if I ask where you're located?

I'm located in Singapore :)

Now, like sonic defender mentioned, yes it is very likely that the batch in question is a problematic batch, and I am in no way insinuating that the failure rate is across the board, going to be 50%.

What I am saying, is that no matter how bad a batch, picking a sample of 10 should not yield a 50% RMA rate, and while this 50% is unlikely to be completely reflective of the actual defect rate, I think it can be taken as being indicative of a higher-than-the-competition defect rate, and if you do choose to order it from Japan where it's way cheaper, you have to weigh the risks of a possible RMA, more so with the Onkyo than with most other players :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #7,015 of 16,328
Posted some of this on Facebook (hi masterpfa <3) and Twitter, but here are some pics of a small percentage of what I've been listening to today.

Setup:
- Onkyo DP-X1 DAP in balanced AGC mode.

Headphones:
- Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones (part of the 2016 EL8 series)

Cable:
- Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable.

First up is Banco de Gaia's 'Last Train to Lhasa (20th Anniversary)' 4CD Limited Edition signed and numbered album.
Pic's were taken to show off the official DPA-PUX1 case to a Facebook'er:

And here's what I'm listening to right now; Orbital's 'Wonky' Japanese Limited Edition (imported):

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #7,016 of 16,328

Now, like sonic defender mentioned, yes it is very likely that the batch in question is a problematic batch, and I am in no way insinuating that the failure rate is across the board, going to be 50%.

What I am saying, is that no matter how bad a batch, picking a sample of 10 should not yield a 50% RMA rate, and while this 50% is unlikely to be completely reflective of the actual defect rate, I think it can be taken as being indicative of a higher-than-the-competition defect rate, and if you do choose to order it from Japan where it's way cheaper, you have to weigh the risks of a possible RMA, more so with the Onkyo than with most other players :)

That's why I made my initial points on my last major post, weighing in on the pros and cons.

If what you are saying is true (remember, our source is just you atm) and with little info regarding each RMA, all anyone can say is that it's not a great situation for Onkyo to be in, but by delaying the Western release until recently is indicative that Onkyo may have improved such issues. They may be confident now in ruling the DAP world with a true high value, multifunctional DAP with amazing sonics to boot.

Bear in mind, of those who reported issues and posted their progress in getting resolutions, all such resolutions have been been positive thus far.

Others and myself took the risk, and even with my issues, I am enjoying the single best source I have ever heard that I could afford.

^^

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #7,017 of 16,328

Agreed, that's why I'm waiting to buy mine here in the US. I just dumped $2600++ into k10's so I'm waiting a few weeks for the price to drop a bit.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,018 of 16,328
I like the DPA-PUX1 personally as it is is slim, though the thicker Dignis one is far more professional looking.

So of the two ,which does that better job of protecting the Device... Both seem to be around same price( PUX1 60$ and Dignis 65$)
My place has hardwood flooring and i really need a case for the X1 (i will get mine this Tuesday)...

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #7,019 of 16,328
Agreed, that's why I'm waiting to buy mine here in the US. I just dumped $2600++ into k10's so I'm waiting a few weeks for the price to drop a bit.

Noble Audio K10 CIEM's with Onkyo DP-X1...be still my beating heart... <3

My DHC Symbiote SP Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable would be amazing with the K10, or a DHC Complement4 8-Wire IEM...he he he...

My Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's were amazing, and still are on micro detail, but with the Audeze EL8 Titanium (2016 EL8 series) having beautiful organic textural sound quality, my 4.Ai’s sound artificial... :frowning2:

Need to save up a **** load...

But I'm planning with Peter (DHC) to build me a Complement4 8-Wire balanced cable for my EL8 Ti, in the future ofc...

Need to sell ****...sigh...

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #7,020 of 16,328
So of the two ,which does that better job of protecting the Device... Both seem to be around same price( PUX1 60$ and Dignis 65$)
My place has hardwood flooring and i really need a case for the X1 (i will get mine this Tuesday)...

DIGNIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back