ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #6,646 of 16,326
Ok..Power, P=IV correct ? So Current and Voltage can totally swing from A to B where the power output would be...."the same". That was why I said the problems of Power supplied vs Draw in the circuitry design. But I will stop talking all that technical stuff here. The fact is that Onkyo DP-X1 doesn't scale too well with EQ vs ZX2 was observed by me, so I agreed to who ever wondered about that DP-X1 EQ ability

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #6,647 of 16,326
Ok..Power, P=IV correct ? So Current and Voltage can totally swing from A to B where the power output would be...."the same". That was why I said the problems of Power supplied vs Draw in the circuitry design. But I will stop talking all that technical stuff here. The fact is that Onkyo DP-X1 doesn't scale too well with EQ vs ZX2 was observed by me, so I agreed to who ever wondered about that DP-X1 EQ ability

Well that has me baffled 
confused.gif

FWIW, I've found the EQ to be very effective. I've only tweaked the high end response as the bass performance with my Beyers is just to my taste.

I'll have a play with the low end too to see if I get distortion issues, once the glue around my headphone jacks has set and I have the player back 
smile.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #6,653 of 16,326
I agree that the eq doesnt scale well on the Onkyo. For me if I try to increase the bass it starts to clip. Correct me if Im wrong, but is it because there is little digital headroom the way the Onkyo processes the digital data?

I 100% agree, too! I come from a ZX1 and there is no comparison! Sony s "clear bass" option worked so well. With the EQ of the DP-X1 I not only find the overall effect quite low, I also find increased sub bass (what I like) to be bleeding into the mids a lot more! I have no idea what the technical background of this is, but do others hear it as well?

It s really a pity because I love everything else about the player...

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #6,654 of 16,326
I 100% agree, too! I come from a ZX1 and there is no comparison! Sony s "clear bass" option worked so well. With the EQ of the DP-X1 I not only find the overall effect quite low, I also find increased sub bass (what I like) to be bleeding into the mids a lot more! I have no idea what the technical background of this is, but do others hear it as well?

It s really a pity because I love everything else about the player...

Agreed, coming from Zx2 vs DP-X1

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #6,655 of 16,326

You have to have the DSP tick box option selected in the Music Player settings for EQ to work.

Confused me too, until I took the extreme step of reading the manual
smile.gif

LOL. I took quite some time to figure this one out myself. I spent nearly an hour playing with the Onkyo, figuring out why the damned EQ wasn't responding. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #6,658 of 16,326
^ Nice. Yes I think when you listen to the critiques levelled at the DP-X1 it seems people forget just how affordable this DAP is when compared against the competition.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #6,660 of 16,326
i think it's pretty good competitor in current market here , of course 240SS got better Clarity and totally black background but i think they are aiming at different target here. 
Balanced out provide pretty noticeable improvement imo , especially with darker earphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back