ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 25, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #6,631 of 16,326
You means I can use the folder play? Thanks

Yes folder play is available

Just update the 'Music' player in the Google Play Store

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #6,633 of 16,326
Hi! Just bought a dp-x1 and realized the eq does not work at all! Whatever setting I use, it does not have any effect on the sound! I am wondering if this is could only be a software issue? Because everything else work fine? Could it have to do with that I use Dodol launcher to change the os design? Any ideas? Thanks!

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #6,634 of 16,326
Hi! Just bought a dp-x1 and realized the eq does not work at all! Whatever setting I use, it does not have any effect on the sound! I am wondering if this is could only be a software issue? Because everything else work fine? Could it have to do with that I use Dodol launcher to change the os design? Any ideas? Thanks!

You have to have the DSP tick box option selected in the Music Player settings for EQ to work.

Confused me too, until I took the extreme step of reading the manual
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #6,636 of 16,326
Recently committed the sacrilegious deed to closely compare the AK 320 to the DP-x1.
Those are bad times for AK owners who know the difference...slightly to none.
I personaly prefere the soundsignature change of the dp-x1's upsampling mode to the ak sound.
Same goes to the soundstage by a little bit.
A blind test would be revealing and interesting.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #6,637 of 16,326
Honestly the time I spent with DP-X1, I could tell that EQ scaling wasn't it strong point

Why would the EQ make much of a difference? I would think the headphone has more to do with the results than the EQ unless the EQ was so poorly written, and is that even realistic with the Onkyo? What information do you have on the EQ built into the DP-X1? What design parameters cause it to be poor?

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #6,638 of 16,326
Why would the EQ make much of a difference? I would think the headphone has more to do with the results than the EQ unless the EQ was so poorly written, and is that even realistic with the Onkyo? What information do you have on the EQ built into the DP-X1? What design parameters cause it to be poor?

It is not exactly poor, but like I said, it doesn't "Scale" too well. You know ? Just kind of when you adjust the EQ, the effects are not really noticeable compare to the devices that "scale" well with EQ. I don't even know how to explain it to you. But there are 2 types of players regarding EQ: 1 that scales very well with EQ, and 1 that doesn't really scale too well.

Comparing both DP-X1 and ZX2 on the same TH900, there were distinctive differences on EQ scaling, and ZX2 proved a better device in EQ scaling

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #6,639 of 16,326
It is not exactly poor, but like I said, it doesn't "Scale" too well. You know ? Just kind of when you adjust the EQ, the effects are not really noticeable compare to the devices that "scale" well with EQ. I don't even know how to explain it to you. But there are 2 types of players regarding EQ: 1 that scales very well with EQ, and 1 that doesn't really scale too well.

Comparing both DP-X1 and ZX2 on the same TH900, there were distinctive differences on EQ scaling, and ZX2 proved a better device in EQ scaling

Still, in order for this to be possible there has to be a technical reason for the equalization to work differently, equalizers aren't alive and don't have personalities, so these type of effects need to have a technological basis for being different. Other than that we are left having to conclude there is some different force at work that allows EQing to perform based on, well I don't even know what it could be. I myself know very little about how software EQs work, so it does seem plausible to me that operating in the software domain there could be differences, but it would be nice to know what they are.

Edit: you couldn't notice the effect of the EQ in the scenario you described because you could just as easily be hearing the interaction difference of the headphone dampening and the amplifier topology and I would think it extremely difficult to isolate what is a difference from an EQ and what is a difference from other aspects of the device.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #6,640 of 16,326
I agree that the eq doesnt scale well on the Onkyo. For me if I try to increase the bass it starts to clip. Correct me if Im wrong, but is it because there is little digital headroom the way the Onkyo processes the digital data?

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #6,641 of 16,326
I agree that the eq doesnt scale well on the Onkyo. For me if I try to increase the bass it starts to clip. Correct me if Im wrong, but is it because there is little digital headroom the way the Onkyo processes the digital data?

Does it do this equally you find for various headphones? I'm sure there can be issues with a software EQ, but it would be really interesting to know for instance how the EQ is implemented differently with say the ZX2 as compared with the DP-X1. My only point in mentioning this is that it does take a moderate amount of effort to be sure it is the EQ and not the headphone in some cases. I'm actually not contesting the point that an EQ can be less than optimally implemented, I am however questioning the proof that is sometimes offered to support the claim.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #6,642 of 16,326
  Does it do this equally you find for various headphones? I'm sure there can be issues with a software EQ, but it would be really interesting to know for instance how the EQ is implemented differently with say the ZX2 as compared with the DP-X1. My only point in mentioning this is that it does take a moderate amount of effort to be sure it is the EQ and not the headphone in some cases. I'm actually not contesting the point that an EQ can be less than optimally implemented, I am however questioning the proof that is sometimes offered to support the claim.

Yes, it does it equally on the headphones that I have tried - hd650, th900, ie80s.  It isn't the headphone, it is the EQ.  I have the Cowon S9 and P1 which have very good scaling..  I can get very high bass levels on my headphones with the Cowon players without any distortion. I don't know if it is a hardware limitation or the Onkyo's factory app, but they have little digital headroom or I guess it can be called dynamic range before the eq starts clipping.    

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #6,643 of 16,326
  Yes, it does it equally on the headphones that I have tried - hd650, th900, ie80s.  It isn't the headphone, it is the EQ.  I have the Cowon S9 and P1 which have very good scaling..  I can get very high bass levels on my headphones with the Cowon players without any distortion. I don't know if it is a hardware limitation or the Onkyo's factory app, but they have little digital headroom or I guess it can be called dynamic range before the eq starts clipping.    

There you go, now see, that is more the type of information that can be used to support a claim, multiple headphones on the same device, same headphones compared on a different device. That makes the contention more supportable. My other post wasn't quite as much aimed at Whitigir as it likely seemed, it was more to the point that it is quite common for claims to be made with so little proof and then a flawed notion gets propagated throughout the community as if it was based on hard evidence. That is all I was saying.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #6,645 of 16,326
In my opinion, the Onkyo has plenty of power.  It can easily drive my HD650s to painful hearing levels (yes I have tried, just for a second).  I think the eq scaling is a digital issue in the Onkyo (either software or hardware).  My Cowon S9 draws very little current and can have some monstrous bass when using the EQ.  It is about a 4th of the size of the Onkyo and it's battery lasts 30-40 hours.  It leads me to believe that since the Onkyo can put out such loud volumes, but easily clip a little added bass in low or normal volumes that the issue is strictly digital and not the analog amp / power output stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back